Just adopted a B&G Macaw

OP
KITKAT1971

KITKAT1971

Nov 12, 2022
Parrots
Macaw
Funny- I was just thinking I needed to schedule an appt with my dermatologist and have them removed :)

OP
KITKAT1971

KITKAT1971

Nov 12, 2022
Parrots
Macaw
Question - today Hayli climbed off her play perch onto the island and started playing/attacking a kitchen hand towel. She rolled around with it and actually seemed to like to play tug with me? Is a hand towel safe for a macaw? She doesnt appear to be eating it but she definately left lots of holes.

Who knew birds played tug? Not me lol

Attachments

• 20221208_203052.jpg
    20221208_203052.jpg
    221.3 KB · Views: 47

HeatherG

Apr 25, 2020
Question - today Hayli climbed off her play perch onto the island and started playing/attacking a kitchen hand towel. She rolled around with it and actually seemed to like to play tug with me? Is a hand towel safe for a macaw? She doesnt appear to be eating it but she definately left lots of holes.

Who knew birds played tug? Not me lol
My Quaker is afraid of a lot of things but he will play tug of war with my sleeve, his toys, newspaper, tissues.. I think a kitchen towel is quite safe, just don’t let her eat it or make a nest out of it.

wrench13

Staff member
Super Moderator
Parrot of the Month 🏆
Nov 22, 2015
Media
Albums
Isle of Long, NY
Parrots
Yellow Shoulder Amazon, Salty
Sure, they play tug o war if their temperament tells them too. My little Amazon likes to play 'fight' when he is in the mood. If he is not, I can walk away with a bloody hand and its my fault for not reading his body language and eyes correctly.

EscapedApe

Dec 10, 2022
Media
Parrots
I have one adopted blue and gold macaw.
Kats and parrots rarely mix well. Badda -boom! Now that that is out of the way, welcome to the forums and be welcomed. Seems like a nice, well cared for Blue and Gold. Re: diet, keep trying to introduce the veggies. Vary size and presentation. A lot of folks (including me) have "Chop" recipe and prepare lot quantities to freeze and thaw as needed. i for instance make 5 days worth in one baggie, and I make 20 or so at once. BUT I know what Salty likes. You are in exploratory mode so don't make a lot quantity just yet.
What is the chop recipe?

OP
KITKAT1971

KITKAT1971

Nov 12, 2022
Parrots
Macaw
Update.... she regurgitated on me for the first time and she is starting to try to eat my boy friend's buttons and now only peeps at him... She still wont step up for him but we are making progress - baby steps. . I'm a huge Eagles fan so here is a fun pic... see the resemblance? Lol

Attachments

• 20230121_172230.jpg
    20230121_172230.jpg
    274.6 KB · Views: 42
OP
KITKAT1971

KITKAT1971

Nov 12, 2022
Parrots
Macaw
Also
I recently found out that her serigote parents after Megan passed would spray her with water when she screamed cause they didnt know what to do.. I think this is aweful... my poor birdie....:-(

Cottonoid

Supporting Member
Parrot of the Month 🏆
Feb 20, 2022
I'm so glad she's found you! It sounds like she's settled in really well :love::love:

OP
KITKAT1971

KITKAT1971

Nov 12, 2022
Parrots
Macaw
She is a delight! I just wish she would bond with my boy friend too. It's like having two kids - One wants to play and the other doesnt and my BF gets grumpy cause she wont sit on his shoulder (head banging on wall). We are making slow progress tho... slow and steady. Thank you to everyone for the input :) Happy new year!

wrench13

Staff member
Super Moderator
Parrot of the Month 🏆
Nov 22, 2015
Media
Albums
Isle of Long, NY
Parrots
Yellow Shoulder Amazon, Salty
You can try only your BF giving her the favorite treat and lots of them, every time he passes the cage or stand. Sometimes that helps, but only sometimes. IF the parrot no like someone, sometimes no amount of treats or playing nice-nice helps.

Most Reactions

Latest posts