Just an update on albie.

Stitchthestitch

Parrot of the Month 🏆
Feb 9, 2020
Manchester, uk
Parrots
Albie - Pineapple Green Cheek Conure - Hatch date 14 Dec 2019 - Gotcha date - 4 March 2020
Albie has been with us for 10! Weeks now, I can't believe its been that long already. Its like he's always been with us.

In that time I've moved him off a seed based diet on to a diet that's mostly veg, fruit pellet diet with a small amount of seed mix that contains no sun or safflower seed but things like puffed wheat and corn and dried fruit and chilli's which he loves. He adores raspberries (gives me an excuse to buy them more regularly as they are expensive) and until he had one I never understood how they can make the place look like a murder scene... Bright red Berry juice.... Every where. He scared the living daylights out of hubby with a bright red beak, he thought he had hurt himself. He also loves the fresh seed from Bell peppers, when making his chop he has to be with me and he has to munch on his pepper seeds. He's great at trying new things so long as I eat it with him. He had some pear the other day for the first time he enjoyed it. I love sharing birdy safe food with him!

He's doing great at training, currently trying to work on recall but he's being stubborn about it. He can spin and shake hands. I'm also trying to get him to roll over (he readily goes on his back when he's having silly half hours playing on me or when he's falling asleep in my hands, but he really freaks out when I try to tip him so I'm not sure how to progress from here. He's target trained and I can use different target "sticks" with out a problem, I've also taught him "touch it" when I introduce new toys or new objects to him.

His favorite toys are his shredding wall that I made by weaving paper through his cage bars and icelolly sticks to the point I bought 1000 of the things off amazon for him, he won't touch his toys in his cage but he does get mad if I move them to clean them.

He loves having a tap bath in the kitchen after a lot of trial and error to get him bathing more regularly (went 3 weeks with out a bath at one point)from giving him a bigger dish in his cage, a pie dish out of his cage to a running tap, he gets so excited when he hears the tap going that he had 2 baths yesterday!

He seems to equally divide his attention between us and he's super intuitive to our moods and if one of us is feeling really low he becomes super sunggley or super silly depending on what he thinks we need and often he's right. He's currently snuggled in close to my neck.

He loves going in his travel cage to sit out when it's nice he makes his happy trilling noises and my next door little girl is besotted with him and if she sees him out side she begs her dad to lift her to say hi. I let them in my garden to have a better hello with him (whilst observing social distancing of course) he head bobbed at her when she was talking to him. I'm planning on harness training once he's finished moulting.

Pin feathers are a night mare, he begs for scritechs but heaven help us if we knock a pin that's sensitive. He's fallen out with hubby over it yesterday and was in full attack mode chasing his hand to bite him. I had to move him and put him in time out because of it. Any tips on helping with his pins? I've been gently scratching at the and after a session in covered in birdy dandruff from the pin cases.

He loves my mum. I sprained my ankle last week and thought I broke it when I rang 111 (it's a medical advice line in the uk to help determine if you need the hospital) and they wanted to send an ambulance but instead I rang my mum to take me (it's been drilled into my skull not to use an ambulance unless absolutely necessary and I didn't want to waste ambulance time when mum lives 5 mins away) when my mum came he flew to her and sat on her shoulder trilling happily while hiding in her hair, she tried to make me jealous that albie likes her and I said it's a good thing he does and she was like why and I replied I've read some people's birds will attack new people to the point of drawing blood. She was like oh.... Really?

He is such an amazing little bird and qi can't believe how much he returns my love and affection.

SailBoat

Supporting Member
Jul 10, 2015
Western, Michigan
Parrots
DYH Amazon
So very happy to hear that abide has moved in and taken over. So wonderful that abide has trained you so very well... :D

OP
Stitchthestitch

Stitchthestitch

Parrot of the Month 🏆
Feb 9, 2020
Manchester, uk
Parrots
Albie - Pineapple Green Cheek Conure - Hatch date 14 Dec 2019 - Gotcha date - 4 March 2020
He's simply wonderful

Cagzo

Jan 14, 2020
Media
Mid Glamorgan,South Wales,UK
Parrots
One Pineapple Conure.
Hatched late 2018.
It made me relieved to hear that Albie has his moments with your OH, at the moment mine isnt speaking or interacting with Connie as she drew blood on him! We think we know why,it was because she was on my shoulder,and he offered her a SF seed to step up!
Well she just wasnt having it,being very snuggly on my neck! Nasty nip!!

OP
Stitchthestitch

Stitchthestitch

Parrot of the Month 🏆
Feb 9, 2020
Manchester, uk
Parrots
She may have given your hubby a warning first before biting. Albie leans away and if that's ignored he runs, and if that's ignored he will nip before biting hard if the person isn't listening to him or me.

Most Reactions

Latest posts