just informative!

OgY

Aug 1, 2022
Media
Albums
Parrots
Eastern Rosella
:rainbow1:😇...Even though rosellas are said not to like being touched, I found a way to pet her. I offer her a long sprig of parsley from my hand, and between two bites I gently stroke her with the sprig under her beak or sideways on her wings. She is a little surprised at how that parsley moves, but it is pleasant for her ! Regards !

Birb321

Sep 14, 2022
BC, Canada
Parrots
I might rescue a conure or another small parrot
btw only pet your bird on its head and beak because other parts of the body are sexual parts, which means if you pet there wing or any other body part they will think that your there mate and become hormonal

• Wow
Reactions: OgY

HeatherG

Apr 25, 2020
btw only pet your bird on its head and beak because other parts of the body are sexual parts, which means if you pet there wing or any other body part they will think that your there mate and become hormonal
That’s not exactly true, but she probably doesn’t much like you petting her wing. It’s best to concentrate on head and neck. If she’s dropped a feather, you could use that to pet or scratch her head or neck, too.

OP
OgY

OgY

Aug 1, 2022
Media
Albums
Parrots
Eastern Rosella
Wow ! I will keep this point in mind, although it surprises me quite a bit. 30+ years ago I had a little parrot, I don't know what it's called in English, I used to kiss it on the face and wings.

OP
OgY

OgY

Aug 1, 2022
Media
Albums
Parrots
Eastern Rosella
That’s not exactly true, but she probably doesn’t much like you petting her wing. It’s best to concentrate on head and neck. If she’s dropped a feather, you could use that to pet or scratch her head or neck, too.
Wow ! I will keep this point in mind, although it surprises me quite a bit. 30+ years ago I had a little parrot, I don't know what it's called in English, I used to kiss it on the face and wings.
p.s. according the web pictures I had a parakeet

OP
OgY

OgY

Aug 1, 2022
Media
Albums
Parrots
Eastern Rosella
wow .. just from stroking the wings ?

Birb321

Sep 14, 2022
BC, Canada
Parrots
I might rescue a conure or another small parrot
wow .. just from stroking the wings ?
well if your stroke there wings an other parts often then ya your bird will think that your there mate, but that doesnt mean you can never touch your birds wings and other parts

HeatherG

Apr 25, 2020
Hi, this is an overgeneralization. Not all petting of a bird on places other than head or neck are a sexual cue. In general it’s a good idea to only pet a bird on head or neck; and that’s the only area the bird can’t reach on its own. But ALWAYS and NEVER are too strict.

Petting under the wings (wingpits) is more sexual for a pet bird and should be avoided. But a quick brush on the shoulders with a sprig of parsley is not such a big deal. OgY doesn’t appear to be sexually stimulating or exciting her bird. She’s learning how her rosella accepts contact with a safe item, and maybe she can graduate to petting her bird on head, neck or shoulders with a fingertip.

Holding or pressing down over the wings could be read as sexual for a female bird. But that’s not what this person describes. And were this a male bird this is would be even less likely. For example, my male quaker likes to be cuddled under my hands and doesn’t get turned on or weird from this. I wouldn’t have done this with my female Quaker. I t would have been confusing to press down on her back because that would have resembled mating.

My Willow would probably get excited if I let him grind his bottom on me or if I hand fed him lots of soft food. Letting him climb on and hump my hand would be a problem.

It is reasonable to say “NEVER let your cat lick your bird” or “Always have water and food in your birds cage”. But this owner has described what she’s doing and it doesn’t sound like a problem.

OP
OgY

OgY

Aug 1, 2022
Media
Albums
Parrots
Eastern Rosella
Hi, this is an overgeneralization. Not all petting of a bird on places other than head or neck are a sexual cue. In general it’s a good idea to only pet a bird on head or neck; and that’s the only area the bird can’t reach on its own. But ALWAYS and NEVER are too strict.

Petting under the wings (wingpits) is more sexual for a pet bird and should be avoided. But a quick brush on the shoulders with a sprig of parsley is not such a big deal. OgY doesn’t appear to be sexually stimulating or exciting her bird. She’s learning how her rosella accepts contact with a safe item, and maybe she can graduate to petting her bird on head, neck or shoulders with a fingertip.

Holding or pressing down over the wings could be read as sexual for a female bird. But that’s not what this person describes. And were this a male bird this is would be even less likely. For example, my male quaker likes to be cuddled under my hands and doesn’t get turned on or weird from this. I wouldn’t have done this with my female Quaker. I t would have been confusing to press down on her back because that would have resembled mating.

My Willow would probably get excited if I let him grind his bottom on me or if I hand fed him lots of soft food. Letting him climb on and hump my hand would be a problem.

It is reasonable to say “NEVER let your cat lick your bird” or “Always have water and food in your birds cage”. But this owner has described what she’s doing and it doesn’t sound like a problem.
Thanks for sharing HeatherG, yes...it is a male rosella bird, and again, yes..I am looking for ways to play and release her, inventing various inventive ways of contact. I have kept many different pets, mostly dogs, but also guinea pigs, before and a small parrot, and I have petted them all.. I think that love is simply more powerful than the common characteristics of the species. I respect them, but I always see if there is an individual space for closeness - love is a vibration and it touches animals in various ways. :rainbow1: (y)

Most Reactions

Latest posts