Just made my first batch of birdie bread! :)

Rio Mom

Apr 7, 2011
Pennsylvania
Parrots
River - Green Cheek
Conure/
Pepper - Congo African Grey/

Rest in Peace Rio
I just made my first batch of birdie bread, and it turned out great! :) Rio seems to like it. I used a box of corn bread jiffy mix, an egg - shell and all, sweet potato baby food, blueberry/apple baby food, a few shelled sunflower seeds, diced peppers,and some frozen mixed vegetables. My dogs are mooches as always, and seemed to like their taste too.

OP
Rio Mom

Rio Mom

Apr 7, 2011
Pennsylvania
Parrots
River - Green Cheek
Conure/

Rest in Peace Rio
One box jiffy mix, one jar veggie flavor baby food, one jar fruit flavor baby food, one egg (crush up the shell), a sprinkle of shelled seeds, some diced peppers, some frozen mixed veggies, (I didnt measure the veggies just put in a little handful, I also broke up the larger pieces of the mixed veggies). Mix and put in a sprayed 8 or 9 inch square pan. Cooked for 20 minutes at 400 degrees. After cool, cut into small squares to put in a ziplock bag in the freezer. Then you can just thaw out what you want each day.

When I was giving some more to Rio this morning, the dogs were right there again with the "Where mine?" look. lol. I also put some outside in one of my wildbird feed stations, so I can see if they like it :)

OP
Rio Mom

Rio Mom

Apr 7, 2011
Pennsylvania
Parrots
River - Green Cheek
Conure/

Rest in Peace Rio
As far as I know, any bird could have this for a treat. :)

darkling

Apr 13, 2011
Alabama
Parrots
RIP Pi - Sun Conure 02/06/11 - 09/10/11
How would it hold up on one of those little kabob things? Is it crumbly or could you skewer a piece of it on there? Pi is really bad about losing her pieces of fruit and veggies to the dog if I just give them to her in a bowl so I wanted to get a kabob for her cage.

GoffinLily

Jun 16, 2011
Alberta Canada
Parrots
Goffin Cockatoo
How would it hold up on one of those little kabob things? Is it crumbly or could you skewer a piece of it on there? Pi is really bad about losing her pieces of fruit and veggies to the dog if I just give them to her in a bowl so I wanted to get a kabob for her cage.

what a GREAT idea!!!
my Lily loves to hold & eat things so much more then her bowl foods

darkling

Apr 13, 2011
Alabama
Parrots
RIP Pi - Sun Conure 02/06/11 - 09/10/11
Pi holds them but then she gets distracted by the urge to hang upside down off of something and so she flings her treat to the four winds and away she goes. Tasha sleeps at the foot of Pi's cage now. On the side where her treat bowl is. Hoping to catch a tasty morsel on its way down. lol

OP
Rio Mom

Rio Mom

Apr 7, 2011
Pennsylvania
Parrots
River - Green Cheek
Conure/

Rest in Peace Rio
It ends up the consistency or cornbread, so I'm sure you could put it on a kabob. Or you could crumble a piece up either way.I cut it into cubes and froze it to thaw a piece at a time. I still have some actually lol. The breeder told me to give just pellets for the first week to make sure he's eating it well/knows its food, etc then I can start with all the other goodies. I baked a big tray of it for a gift for the breeder for all her birds.

aslterp59

Jun 28, 2011
North Carolina
Parrots
Gemma: Congo African Grey
I make my own "muffins" for Gemma, my CAG. They're similar to what some of you have made and consist of any or all of the following: baby fruit or vegetable puree, wheat flour or corn muffin mix, juice, egg and shell, small seeds, sunflower seeds, a bit of regular food (crushed with the bottom of a drinking glass), craisins, dried fruit, algae powder, kitchen sink... I bake them in tiny paper muffin cups. After cooling, I put them in the freezer. Gemma loves them, and because they're small she can hold one in her claw and munch at her leisure. She likes tearing off the paper and getting every morsel. And yes, Toodles the dog likes to sit nearby and watch for fallen crumbs!

Last edited:

pittiepride

Apr 6, 2011
You know,I used to bake dog treats using oatmeal base. After cooking I would cut them and then leave them in the oven either on low, or with the light on untill they were dry and hard. I bet if you took the bread, baked it thin, then cut it you could do the same, you then have a hard cookie/pellet type treat that they could eat that may not be so crumbly....just a thought.
kara

Steadam2011

Jul 15, 2011
seattle
Sure, this is my flock's favorite birdie bread.

One package of jiffy corn bread mix, two eggs (I don't put the shell in, as there are better sources of calcium), 1/2 cup applesauce (replaces the oil in the recipe), and whatever is called for milk quantity, I replace with either water or fruit juice. I then toss in some finely chopped fresh veggies (carrots, cilantro, green beans, peas, corn, squashes, etc), bake as called for on the recipe box. You can also toss in some seeds and pellets to help encourage the shy ones to try it.

Cool when cooked, cut into individual sized servings (1 inch x 1 inch is more then even my parrot can munch), and freeze. A few seconds in the micros and you have an instant breakfast or dinner.

Famous Gossip
Celebrity News bulletin
World Entertainment News[/URL]http://applebeescoupons.ws/

Last edited:

Most Reactions