Just over a year since Birdie arrived ... and never left ....

FiFee Fiona

Feb 19, 2022
Parrots
Green cheek Conure
Hi
I have had some good help from this forum. So I come back here looking for more
Birdie has always been a screamer and biter. We go through good times and bad.
It's not great at the moment ... I'm having health issues and Birdie is getting to me.
The other day I was so frustrated I walked out of the room and told him to shut up.
Of course now he says shut up. It must have been he emphasis on the word... He knew I was angry.
I need to stop getting so frustrated with him.
The screaming I'm afraid I have resorted to covering him if he incessantly screams.
I do realise he wants to get out.
He does the crouch eagle look fluttering the wings. But there are times he just has to wait.
But it's weird ... because he also seems to want me to cover him.
When I do he settles straight away and plays with his toys and talks to himself.
I don't imagine birds think like us ... but there's some method in his madness
It's like he needs a rest..
And my neighbours are really close .. so I have to watch his noise level.
The worst is if I go to the balcony or another room. I tried talking to him. Telling him I'm still here.
Singing .. just general noise. Like a flock call. He won't have it.
He wants to see me. I do try to walk around with him. But he does freak out at certain things.
Boxes especially. Or anything big ... or just nothing at all.
The other thing is the biting. I do realise some of the biting is affection. I think he's trying to preen me or similar.
Like he would another bird. But having no feathers it hurts a lot haha
He gets up for a cuddle and suddenly is biting into my neck or under my chin.
He wants to hang upside down off my shoulder ... but then bites into my clothes. Makes holes!
He also comes up to my hand. Says wanna scratch and gets all cuddly. Then the biting really digs in.
The thing is it really hurts. And I often react ... even though I'm not supposed to.
I kept my hands away for a while but I felt sorry for him. He's always seeking them out.
He plays and hangs off his toys every day. He has things to chew. He's very funny.
But I can't seem to keep my temper in check. Then I feel bad. And we try another way
It sometimes works for a while. But we end up with him not happy and biting and screaming again.
He loves cuddles but that comes with serious biting. And me putting him off annoyed.
He doesn't learn from it. Just comes back for more.
He loves kisses. Gives them freely with bites on the side. I'm covered in little sore marks.
I know people say Conures are like this. But not all are.
I see videos with the sweetest little conures. No biting.
So it must be possible :rainbow1:

zERo

Staff member
Super Moderator
Dec 9, 2021
Media
Texas
Parrots
Tony-Green QP(M)
Tom-Pineapple GCC(M)
Milly- Sparrow (F)
Hi
I have had some good help from this forum. So I come back here looking for more
Birdie has always been a screamer and biter. We go through good times and bad.
It's not great at the moment ... I'm having health issues and Birdie is getting to me.
The other day I was so frustrated I walked out of the room and told him to shut up.
Of course now he says shut up. It must have been he emphasis on the word... He knew I was angry.
I need to stop getting so frustrated with him.
The screaming I'm afraid I have resorted to covering him if he incessantly screams.
I do realise he wants to get out.
He does the crouch eagle look fluttering the wings. But there are times he just has to wait.
But it's weird ... because he also seems to want me to cover him.
When I do he settles straight away and plays with his toys and talks to himself.
I don't imagine birds think like us ... but there's some method in his madness
It's like he needs a rest..
And my neighbours are really close .. so I have to watch his noise level.
The worst is if I go to the balcony or another room. I tried talking to him. Telling him I'm still here.
Singing .. just general noise. Like a flock call. He won't have it.
He wants to see me. I do try to walk around with him. But he does freak out at certain things.
Boxes especially. Or anything big ... or just nothing at all.
The other thing is the biting. I do realise some of the biting is affection. I think he's trying to preen me or similar.
Like he would another bird. But having no feathers it hurts a lot haha
He gets up for a cuddle and suddenly is biting into my neck or under my chin.
He wants to hang upside down off my shoulder ... but then bites into my clothes. Makes holes!
He also comes up to my hand. Says wanna scratch and gets all cuddly. Then the biting really digs in.
The thing is it really hurts. And I often react ... even though I'm not supposed to.
I kept my hands away for a while but I felt sorry for him. He's always seeking them out.
He plays and hangs off his toys every day. He has things to chew. He's very funny.
But I can't seem to keep my temper in check. Then I feel bad. And we try another way
It sometimes works for a while. But we end up with him not happy and biting and screaming again.
He loves cuddles but that comes with serious biting. And me putting him off annoyed.
He doesn't learn from it. Just comes back for more.
He loves kisses. Gives them freely with bites on the side. I'm covered in little sore marks.
I know people say Conures are like this. But not all are.
I see videos with the sweetest little conures. No biting.
So it must be possible :rainbow1:
Wow sounds like you love him!

I’m sorry you’re going through such hard times with him.
Does he have access to any dark meaty spots? Sometimes that can make a birds hormones worse.
Does he display any hormonal activities?
Regurgitating, getting really puffy, humping his toys or perches etc.
Limiting sugar or excess carbs, fat, and protein can help, too. My GCC will be hormonal every once in a while, I just cut back on his peas, sweet potato, and fruit.
Have you tried training him? Target training is a great way to bond. Trick training is technically useless but it can be very stimulating for birds.

OP
FiFee Fiona

FiFee Fiona

Feb 19, 2022
Parrots
Green cheek Conure

Does he have access to any dark meaty spots? Sometimes that can make a birds hormones worse.
Limiting sugar or excess carbs, fat, and protein can help, too. My GCC will be hormonal every once in a while, I just cut back on his peas, sweet potato, and fruit.
Have you tried training him? Target training is a great way to bond. Trick training is technically useless but it can be very stimulating for birds.
Love and yell at him all day lol ...
He doesn't hide anywhere ... he likes the top of the cupboard but it's all open.
He hides from me up there ..then peeks over
And no ... no signs of hormonal stuff.
He does love his snow peas ... only a little fruit
He isnt interested in training ...but I've just bought him a bunch of toys. The type that has the rings and the maraccas etc.
He often occupies himself. He has toys he likes and plays with a lot.
The screaming really gets to me. If I had bought a bird .. it would not have been a conure. I do my research and everything says they're loud. But we were brought together for a reason ... somewhere out there knew I needed him. And he needed me. No one ever claimed him.
The biting is a lot of him being nice and cuddly. It's like he'd do to another bird. But it hurts so much. And I am not allowing him any hands now ... except at night before bed for a scratch.
I obviously have more issues than him. I just am running out of patience. And I feel terrible. But It's hard. And when he just keeps doing the same thing over and over ...
Then I'm angry at myself for being angry at him. And we go in circles
😬🤯

zERo

Staff member
Super Moderator
Dec 9, 2021
Media
Texas
Parrots
Tony-Green QP(M)
Tom-Pineapple GCC(M)
Milly- Sparrow (F)
Love and yell at him all day lol ...
He doesn't hide anywhere ... he likes the top of the cupboard but it's all open.
He hides from me up there ..then peeks over
And no ... no signs of hormonal stuff.
He does love his snow peas ... only a little fruit
He isnt interested in training ...but I've just bought him a bunch of toys. The type that has the rings and the maraccas etc.
He often occupies himself. He has toys he likes and plays with a lot.
The screaming really gets to me. If I had bought a bird .. it would not have been a conure. I do my research and everything says they're loud. But we were brought together for a reason ... somewhere out there knew I needed him. And he needed me. No one ever claimed him.
The biting is a lot of him being nice and cuddly. It's like he'd do to another bird. But it hurts so much. And I am not allowing him any hands now ... except at night before bed for a scratch.
I obviously have more issues than him. I just am running out of patience. And I feel terrible. But It's hard. And when he just keeps doing the same thing over and over ...
Then I'm angry at myself for being angry at him. And we go in circles
😬🤯
I forgot to ask, how old he is?
Not all birds respond 100% positively, even my GCc will get upset and nip.
Depending on his age, he could be going through his first hormonal spell, many owners report that the first is one of the worst.

OP
FiFee Fiona

FiFee Fiona

Feb 19, 2022
Parrots
Green cheek Conure
I forgot to ask, how old he is?
Not all birds respond 100% positively, even my GCc will get upset and nip.
Depending on his age, he could be going through his first hormonal spell, many owners report that the first is one of the worst.
I have no idea. I have had him since last January 6th 22.
He is a lost bird. Never claimed so now lives with me.
I think we went through hormones and a really long moult. I thought it would never stop.
Even now he still has pin feathers.
I can tell when he's stressed.
Then there's the times he is just being a brat ;)

OP
FiFee Fiona

FiFee Fiona

Feb 19, 2022
Parrots
Green cheek Conure

So I've changed my mind.
Hormonal ... or I think it is.
He's so loud and cranky ...
And is suddenly on me all day .... we'll get through it 🙂

Most Reactions