Just some advice with the famous scream!

Kuratchi

Feb 13, 2023
Parrots
Two green cheek conures, one is pastel!
Hi!

We have two Green Cheek conures, one is pastel! We have Cloud who is the pastel one (around 4 years old) and Pumpkin who is more green with an orange belly (around 2 years old).

To cut it short, Cloud was around 1 when he had an accident that left him with one blind (or more or less) eye and a beak movement issue, can't open it as well but is perfectly fine and adapted fantastically to his injury. Pumpkin is fine, no issues there. However before Pumpkin, Cloud was out quite a bit more as he was the only bird and would 9/10 times just sit with you and not move for hours. We did try to not have Cloud out so much and let him have some cage time just to enjoy his own company but he was (and still is) very appreciative of being out with us.

We got Pumpkin when she was young, as they got on better we put them in the same cage and upgraded said cage to a much bigger one which now sits horizontally and they love it. However Cloud is a bit of an attention screamer, I am confident it's not due anything else as the cage position as it's been moved and would used to do it in the old cage when he was our only bird. I've just some looking through several forums and have tried to make changes before, albeit not consistently which is me and my partners fault. Pumpkin screams along with him now (woo) where before Pumpkin would not before, we can't have them out all the time due to work as we both work in our offices upstairs and they are downstairs in the living room by the double back door (full glass). Cloud always starts the attention scream and them Pumpkin will join in. Sometimes he does this inconsistent chirp which is fine, but then he does the siren as I call it, BEEP BEEP BEEP, BEEP BEEP.. BEEP BEEP BEEEP and they both do it once Cloud starts.

As I work upstairs I do sometimes forgot to go and praise them when they're quiet but I do ignore then or closed the living room door and say "I'm off out now, see ya later". And that can work until they hear someone in the kitchen then Cloud is like, "It is time". I have been praising them today by saying "good job, you good birds, you quiet birds yeah?" or something along those lines and also given a treat.

Is there anything else you can suggest? They have plenty or toys which they don't use very often but I do move their stuff around to spice things up, we're looking at getting some foraging toys and more things for Pumpkin to chew as she loves to eat the paper toy they have have and clothes. They do come out daily usually during my lunch break or after work and gym in the evening.

PS. I have no idea if they're girls or boys lol, but they get along well. Also, since writing this they've been chirping quietly and happily so I am hoping what I have been doing is working.

Most Reactions