KEEP OFF! My dining room chairs!

rbreck

Feb 14, 2013
Simi Valley, California USA
Parrots
Baby Senegal - not yet home
Any ideas on how to keep my fully flighted ecelectus off my dining room chairs! Apparently it's a great place to poop! I have a Java tree on the dining room table but he has just started this new thing of landing on the chairs. Also Java tree in the kitchen.

I put foil on the chairs - he just landed on the foil and looked at me like I was crazy!

Maybe double sided tape? It works on cats :/

OP
R

rbreck

Feb 14, 2013
Simi Valley, California USA
Parrots
Baby Senegal - not yet home
I had him only landing on perches or cage, but now he discovered the chairs! He is a pretty bold bird, I don't think the tape will work either. I tried shooing him off and he didn't understand that at all!

veimar

Feb 5, 2014
Chicago, IL
Parrots
gcc Parry; lovebird Coco; 3 budgies (Tesla, Franky and Cesar); cockatiel Murzik, red rump parakeet girl Onyx
I tried to teach my lovebird not to land on the dining room chairs as well (she is the only one who wants to perch on them). So I tired to scold her or chase away with a towel. So it all ended up with her landing briefly, pooping and flying away! LOL :D I hope you have more luck with your bird. :)

Anansi

Staff member
Super Moderator
Dec 18, 2013
Somerset,NJ
Parrots
Maya (Female Solomon Island eclectus parrot), Jolly (Male Solomon Island eclectus parrot), Bixby (Male, red-sided eclectus. RIP), Suzie (Male cockatiel. RIP)
That's a tough one, because the backs of chairs do look rather... perchy. But our fids are smart enough to discriminate between the two. It will just take some work and consistency. You'll have to make sure and remove him immediately as soon as he sets down on the chair. Every time. And it should be done without any big fanfare, as he might enjoy the reaction. Just tell him no every time in a firm, but even, voice. And reward him every time he flies to the java tree, instead.

The first hurdle will be to get him to understand what it is you want. The second hurdle will be overcoming their natural curiosity and stubbornness. Might take a while.

Most Reactions