Keeping a Macaw on a Boat?

thatknifemaker

Mar 25, 2021
Hello, I'm new here obviously, and anyways let me give a bit of background on myself.

I'm a 17-year-old, and I have kept parrots before (specifically parakeets) for a couple of years now, and I love them. However, in the past 2-3 years my family has been living on a sailboat, off the grid. We come to port every 3-6 months for groceries and whatever, but then they work online some hours of the day out at sea.

As you can imagine, it can get a bit lonely, as awesome as it is though just going wherever we want, snorkeling, etc. I was wondering if 1, it would be a good idea for me to get a macaw (I'm wanting a bigger bird) on a sailboat where we're out at sea 90% of our lives, and 2, if it is okay how would I go about it? I would want it to be able to fly independently to exercise, but I wouldn't want it to fly away, of course. I've done quite a bit of information searching on how to care for them, and I've even been around a few to get to know them somewhat. I'm just not sure how dependant/loyal they are.

Any information is much appreciated. Thanks! (p.s. we are anchored most maybe 70% of the time out at sea, but away from any busy ports, usually at a remote island):red1:

Last edited:

itzjbean

Jan 27, 2017
Media
Iowa, USA
Parrots
2 cockatiels
Hi there!

A macaw on a boat...well they say pirates had parrots so I'm sure it has been done.

That being said, here are the risks I foresee:

- Macaw tries to fly, goes into water after getting fatigued

-Emergency vet care , how far away would this be if there were an emergency with your macaw?

-Abundance of food, especially fresh ! (larger birds thrive on a diet that is mostly fresh!) If you are looking to feed an all seed/nut blend to the parrot without fresh fruits/veggies available through the time you're at sea, it will be difficult.

-Where to put the bird when you're travelling out to sea -- likely a carrier would work

-Like I said, I have not seen it done but I know it has been done before, if not by people in the past!

-Temperature of where you are -- macaws do best in tropical, warm temps! IF yu are at sea in say, Alaska, this will not do for a macaw. Anywhere there is not enough heat, will be a difficult place to keep a tropics loving parrot.

OP
T

thatknifemaker

Mar 25, 2021
Hi there!

A macaw on a boat...well they say pirates had parrots so I'm sure it has been done.

That being said, here are the risks I foresee:

- Macaw tries to fly, goes into water after getting fatigued

-Emergency vet care , how far away would this be if there were an emergency with your macaw?

-Abundance of food, especially fresh ! (larger birds thrive on a diet that is mostly fresh!) If you are looking to feed an all seed/nut blend to the parrot without fresh fruits/veggies available through the time you're at sea, it will be difficult.

-Where to put the bird when you're travelling out to sea -- likely a carrier would work

-Like I said, I have not seen it done but I know it has been done before, if not by people in the past!

-Temperature of where you are -- macaws do best in tropical, warm temps! IF yu are at sea in say, Alaska, this will not do for a macaw. Anywhere there is not enough heat, will be a difficult place to keep a tropics loving parrot.

Quickly, thanks for the information. We usually sail around the Caribbean, Gulf of Mexico, and occasionally the Pacific and Indian oceans. We don't travel anywhere cold.

Yeah, we have fruits, but I don't know if they would be considered "fresh" if they were taken out of a pantry throughout time, lasting up to 3-6 months.

What happens if the macaw goes into the water? I mean, I guess they probably can't swim...and the waves would carry it, so I can see that probably being an issue actually. We have a 41-foot long boat, as well as a mast that's pretty tall, so I don't know if it would be enough room for it to stretch its wings or not. You guys are the pros, haha.

As for vet care, we've always done our own basic surgery, or other treatments for things like broken/fractured bones, and a few things like food poisoning with other animals. Not sure how different it would be, but definitely something to keep in mind.

EDIT:
Sorry I forgot to ask this, but wouldn't the bird be okay just out and about while we're out at sea and not at port? Would we have to worry about it flying away if we just had a perch or two for it?

Last edited:

SailBoat

Supporting Member
Jul 10, 2015
Western, Michigan
Parrots
DYH Amazon
Your life style is much like a dream to most People, but very few under take it.

We have long had boats (both sail and power) and have enjoyed those times with our Amazons. The life onboard is very different from when we are home as the dangers that are always there while on the boat, rarely occur while at our ground based home.

My good friend, above, has provide a good list of concerns and each is well founded.

As your parents will likely tell you. Life onboard changed extensively when you came onboard. The vast majority of those life changing activities, required major changes to their past ways of living onboard. The same level of changes occur when you elect to bring a Parrot onboard.

Yes, pirates may have had parrots onboard, but there is little evidence of it being common and not seen at all on Government sailboats.

IMHO, its just not a good idea for all the reasons provided above, plus there is just not much room available.

When, you have your own boat, maybe then!

If you have period of loneliness, you need to discuss those periods with your parents as the extended periods of time anchored off an island is not providing you the enrichment that you likely need. Teenagers commonly need far more social interaction than Adults. So, it is possible that they need to adjust their schedules to include the social time you likely need.

wrench13

Staff member
Super Moderator
Parrot of the Month 🏆
Nov 22, 2015
Media
Albums
Isle of Long, NY
Parrots
Yellow Shoulder Amazon, Salty
My only concern, and really a basic one, is: Flighted or not? A macaw that is fully flighte yes can expect to fly around the boat, maybe up to the top of the mast but - what happens if he decides to fly into that lush jungle just on shore? Once there, believe me he will be GONE! If the macaw is not flighted, I think it would be similar to a person who lives on a boat and cant swim. Even a clipped parrot can manage a few yards if startled or scared and if he goes overboard, well there you are. Parrot can not swim BTW.

Can it be done? Yes, but wow, the precautions and safety issues !!

What about if you need to abandon ship? In a hurry? It happens. Macaws don't fit into a shoe box.

And parrots and pirates are strictly a Treasure Island fabrication. A parrot on an actual pirate vessel might make a small meal, but a pet?

Last edited:
OP
T

thatknifemaker

Mar 25, 2021
My only concern, and really a basic one, is: Flighted or not? A macaw that is fully flighte yes can expect to fly around the boat, maybe up to the top of the mast but - what happens if he decides to fly into that lush jungle just on shore? Once there, believe me he will be GONE! If the macaw is not flighted, I think it would be similar to a person who lives on a boat and cant swim. Even a clipped parrot can manage a few yards if startled or scared and if he goes overboard, well there you are. Parrot can not swim BTW.

What about if you need to abandon ship? In a hurry? It happens. Macaws don't fit into a shoe box.

And parrots and pirates are strictly a Treasure Island fabrication. A parrot on an actual pirate vessel might make a small meal, but a pet?

Thanks for the feedback, will be something I take into great consideration.

Ngl, you look like a pirate hahaha

noodles123

Jul 11, 2018
Parrots
Umbrella Cockatoo- 15? years old..I think?

Thanks for the feedback, will be something I take into great consideration.

Ngl, you look like a pirate hahaha

Establishing veterinary care with an avian vet would be quite challenging, as most require an intake/establishment exam (and if you aren't in the same place, yearly exams or emergencies will pose a problem if you aren't established).

Laurasea

Aug 2, 2018
USA
Parrots
Full house
My freinds had parents visit with their parrot. They took to screened pool area. Parrot flew into the pool and had to be fished out. So its something they have to learn.

All the successful flight recall training I've heard of. Has to be with weaned fledging baby. At least what I read from a parrot trainer, earn zoos and burds shows want a trained flighted bird he gets them as babies to train. And babies learning to fly are going to make mistakes, and do some semi crash landing...so that would be a real problem. While eagles and hawks wouldn't target a macaw as prey, they might fight it as an invader to their territory. We had an African grey parrot attacked by a hawk of the sane size, im sure it was viewed as a rival not prey.

Macaws can be so loud at times, and that can be hard as well..

Storms are going to be stressful ( I think) on a parrot.

Macaws will need to destroy a lot of wood. They can destroy 2x4 , even when provided stuff to destroy, all parrots find things to destroy in the blink of an eye that you don't want them to...... furniture, electronics, valuables, my table!!, remote controls, windows blinds, moldings.

They are also so messy .

I'm myself would love to try living a sailing life style. And it is intriguing trying to figure out how to make it work. But its nt easy for me to think if how.
O
Birds are difficult to care for when sick. They hide being sick. Until near desth, so you have to act the same day they show symptoms or it can be to late.

It would take flight recall training on land, a great bond, lots of short practice trips and a mature special parrot to make it work i.think...
But the idea is very romantic

This site they are discussing parrots and sailing. And customs
Gave a quick read, seems most who tried abandon the idea and homed the parrot on shore. One person did with an African grey
https://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/f74/parrots-as-pets-78887.html

Read all 4 pages, 3 people did it all were African Greys( I think, my short memory ugh) , tho one became fed up after 6 months. African Greys are very smart. They did not do free flight

A weaned baby is easier to harness trainin. You could ask the breeder to work on harness training as a baby. That would make both your lives easier..while a grey chews it doesn't chew like a macaw, a macaw really tears through stuff..and while greys can scream too they don't reach the decibel level a macaw can. Of course there are individuals macaws who aren't going to beat loud ect. And if you go through with this and make all the sacrifice to make it work it should be a parrot that has your heart

Last edited:

wrench13

Staff member
Super Moderator
Parrot of the Month 🏆
Nov 22, 2015
Media
Albums
Isle of Long, NY
Parrots
Yellow Shoulder Amazon, Salty
Oh jezzz, Laura, you reminded me. Knifemaker, you know all that lovely teak fixings and woodwork on board? Splinters in a matter of days. Macaws can polish off a 2x4 in a matter of minutes, when motivated.

texsize

Supporting Member
Parrot of the Month 🏆
Oct 23, 2015
Media
so-cal
Parrots
1 YNA (Bingo)
1 OWA (Plumas R.I.P.)
1 RLA (Pacho R.I.P.)
2 GCA(Luna,Merlin) The Twins
1 Congo AG (Bella)
5 Cockatiels

Just a quick correction (no offense) Pirates are quite real even in this day and age. Anyone sailing off into the great beyond better be ready/able to defend themselves.
Pirates with parrots definitely belong in fantasy and adventure books.

Most Reactions