Keeping nonflighted birds next to flighted birds? Is it morally wrong?

May 2, 2021
Media
Albums
Vermont, USA
Parrots
Stormy(M): blue Australian budgie
Picasso(F): green Australian budgie
Apollo(F): sky blue dominant pied Australian budgie
I'm looking to adopt either a pigeon with a splayed leg who is flighted, or a nonflighted but otherwise healthy pigeon. My mom likes the idea of the nonflighted pigeon, because she thinks all pigeons want to be and should be free flying from coops. I really want to adopt the splayed leg pigeon, but I can see how keeping a flighted pigeon in a closet aviary (though it is almost 16 square feet, and the bird wouldn't be in it all day anyway) could be cruel. But I'm also worried about having a mixed flock. Do you think the nonflighted pigeon will be sad or lethargic if he's around flighted budgies all day?

Bonus question: Would it be OK to keep the splayed leg pigeon in the closet aviary while I'm at school? Is it bad? I'm trying to figure this stuff out.

Disclaimer: All my birds get as much outdoor time as possible. I am planning to harness train the splayed leg pigeon if I get her (if I get the nonflighted pigeon... he physically doesn't have flight feathers, so I'll probably just take him outside without a restraint). The budgies also get as much outdoor time as possible.

Rozalka

Supporting Member
Parrot of the Month πŸ†
May 23, 2018
Media
Albums
Poland
Parrots
Bourke's parrots, green cheeked conure
IMO it's fine to keep flighted and nonflighed birds together - Angela wasn't flighted for some reason and she was ok around flighted flock members (the most interesting that Rozalka was even trying to teach her flying)....

But I can't really help with the rest part because I have no knowledge about pigeons... I don't even have an aviary... I "have" one only in my plans... There were supposed to be Angela and Bourkes but as you know, she isn't with us any longer...

DonnaBudgie

Supporting Member
Jan 24, 2023
Windham, Maine
Parrots
Budgies. Lotsa Budgies.
I'm looking to adopt either a pigeon with a splayed leg who is flighted, or a nonflighted but otherwise healthy pigeon. My mom likes the idea of the nonflighted pigeon, because she thinks all pigeons want to be and should be free flying from coops. I really want to adopt the splayed leg pigeon, but I can see how keeping a flighted pigeon in a closet aviary (though it is almost 16 square feet, and the bird wouldn't be in it all day anyway) could be cruel. But I'm also worried about having a mixed flock. Do you think the nonflighted pigeon will be sad or lethargic if he's around flighted budgies all day?

Bonus question: Would it be OK to keep the splayed leg pigeon in the closet aviary while I'm at school? Is it bad? I'm trying to figure this stuff out.

Disclaimer: All my birds get as much outdoor time as possible. I am planning to harness train the splayed leg pigeon if I get her (if I get the nonflighted pigeon... he physically doesn't have flight feathers, so I'll probably just take him outside without a restraint). The budgies also get as much outdoor time as possible.
What is a closet aviary? Any pictures?

Owlet

Oct 27, 2016
Colorado
Parrots
Lincoln (Eclectus), Apollo (Cockatiel), Aster (GCC)
As long as the flighted birds arent harassing the nonflighted bird it's fine. Flight is just important to get away if they need to. (in social situations obviously there are a lot of other benefits to flying) Lincoln cant fly but the little birds mostly leave him alone. If anything hes the bully but the little birds are flighted and can get away. (though they're still not interacting with each other without supervision)

DonnaBudgie

Supporting Member
Jan 24, 2023
Windham, Maine
Parrots
Budgies. Lotsa Budgies.
I figured that much. I find the idea very intriguing. Is it walk in closet? Does it have some sort of screened door? How do you install perches? I assume it has no windows, so do you keep dim lights on at night so its not pitch black? Do you keep different species together? What do you put on the floor and how do you clean it?

OP
π•Ύπ–™π–”π–—π–’π–žπ•»π–Žπ–ˆπ–†
May 2, 2021
Media
Albums
Vermont, USA
Parrots
I figured that much. I find the idea very intriguing. Is it walk in closet? Does it have some sort of screened door? How do you install perches? I assume it has no windows, so do you keep dim lights on at night so its not pitch black? Do you keep different species together? What do you put on the floor and how do you clean it?
It's for a future bird, it was another "budgie area" for a while, but now they're just loose in my room without the extra space of the closet. I have a nightlight for nighttime. I'm putting foam tiles or a plastic mat on the floor. It is not a walk in closet, both the doors are open and it will be screened off. Opening the doors doubles the space from 8 sq. ft. to over 16 sq. ft.! Not sure how I'll install perches, I'll probably just use hanging perches for the most part, as I do with my room, and maybe a play stand.

The sacrifices I make for these feathered menaces... and I'm planning on getting another one... bird owners really are crazy.

DonnaBudgie

Supporting Member
Jan 24, 2023
Windham, Maine
Parrots
Budgies. Lotsa Budgies.
It's for a future bird, it was another "budgie area" for a while, but now they're just loose in my room without the extra space of the closet. I have a nightlight for nighttime. I'm putting foam tiles or a plastic mat on the floor. It is not a walk in closet, both the doors are open and it will be screened off. Opening the doors doubles the space from 8 sq. ft. to over 16 sq. ft.! Not sure how I'll install perches, I'll probably just use hanging perches for the most part, as I do with my room, and maybe a play stand.

The sacrifices I make for these feathered menaces... and I'm planning on getting another one... bird owners really are crazy.
They really are Winged Terrorists!

OP
π•Ύπ–™π–”π–—π–’π–žπ•»π–Žπ–ˆπ–†
May 2, 2021
Media
Albums
Vermont, USA
Parrots

Cottonoid

Supporting Member
Parrot of the Month πŸ†
Feb 20, 2022
I'm pretty sure I know someone who has or has a pigeon who thinks it's a parrot. I'll ask if I remember tomorrow!

I have a flighted and non flighted bird sharing a room but they're about the same size (Cotton and Opie). I do leave them unsupervised now that I've seen how they interact regularly, and Cotton will let me know (immediately and loudly lol) if Opie is too close to him.

Most Reactions