keyboard damage

lvitali

May 6, 2021
i have big problem with birds landing on desk, they chew my keyboard! i find possible solution, silicone keyboard cover from ebay. but it inly have key shapes to go over the letters, not over arrows, numeric part, F keys, that bit is just plain rectangle shape.

anyone seen better ones?

is silicone ok for birds? they avoid cables if i wrap packing tape over them, they don't like texture

sorry for bad english, not 1st language

Laurasea

Aug 2, 2018
USA
Parrots
Full house
welcome to the forum!
They do love keyboards! And remote controls!

No ideas on cover

Scott

Supporting Member
Aug 21, 2010
San Diego, California USA, Earth, Milky Way Galaxy
Parrots
Goffins: Gabby, Abby, Squeaky, Peanut, Popcorn / Citron: Alice / Eclectus: Angel /Timneh Grey: ET / Blue Fronted Amazon: Gonzo /

RIP Gandalf and Big Bird, you are missed.
Welcome, that is a serious problem for many of us! I don't allow birds access to anything computer related unless supervised. Usually have a bird on shoulder or knee while at my PC and move them away whenever interested in keyboard. They've learned but if left alone.....!

Unsure about silicone but unless very tough it can be eventually chewed or removed. Have you tried simply turning keyboard upside down to hide keys? Cables must be wrapped in hard shell type of conduit. Best bet is very thick and hard plastic, metal may contain poisonous zinc or lead.

No worries about your English, easy to understand your thoughts!

OP
L

lvitali

May 6, 2021
Welcome, that is a serious problem for many of us! I don't allow birds access to anything computer related unless supervised. Usually have a bird on shoulder or knee while at my PC and move them away whenever interested in keyboard. They've learned but if left alone.....!

Unsure about silicone but unless very tough it can be eventually chewed or removed. Have you tried simply turning keyboard upside down to hide keys? Cables must be wrapped in hard shell type of conduit. Best bet is very thick and hard plastic, metal may contain poisonous zinc or lead.

No worries about your English, easy to understand your thoughts!

i am on and off pc all day, i would forget to turn over, and birds in same room and out all day when i am at home

i used to have wireless one and put it in drawer, but that no good as i use it too much now

i'm hoping silicone will make them not want to, just like packing tape does on wires

Scott

Supporting Member
Aug 21, 2010
Parrots
Goffins: Gabby, Abby, Squeaky, Peanut, Popcorn / Citron: Alice / Eclectus: Angel /Timneh Grey: ET / Blue Fronted Amazon: Gonzo /

welcome to the forum!

No ideas on cover

he chews key after pulling off, breaks bits of plastic off, can this hurt his stomach?

Birds love to chew objects, but not all swallow. No way to know for sure, so I'd recommend prevention. Sharp objects swallowed can cause serious harm. Swallowing bits of metal containing lead or zinc can slowly poison.

What species bird do you have?

OP
L

lvitali

May 6, 2021
welcome to the forum!

No ideas on cover

he chews key after pulling off, breaks bits of plastic off, can this hurt his stomach?

Birds love to chew objects, but not all swallow. No way to know for sure, so I'd recommend prevention. Sharp objects swallowed can cause serious harm. Swallowing bits of metal containing lead or zinc can slowly poison.

What species bird do you have?
africangrey, i dont think he swallow, i know other people have greys and plastic toys that get destryoed, i only give wood

keyboard is just plastic, he breaks off tiny bits and i hear crunching in his beak for 10 minutes after, not sure if they are spitted out or eated

i had greys for very long time, allmost 20yr, and plastic never caused anything bad - the pieces do not feel sharp, but maybe sharp for insides in digestion

Scott

Supporting Member
Aug 21, 2010
Parrots

African Greys have strong beaks! Not all birds swallow inedible items and are careful to discard. Only way to know for certain is either pieces in droppings or X-Ray. No need to do an X-Ray for this purpose unless you have very strong evidence he is swallowing. That is expensive and usually requires sedation which carries a risk.

noodles123

Jul 11, 2018
Parrots
Umbrella Cockatoo- 15? years old..I think?
I will say that Noodles has been xrayed like 5 times and never needed sedation (but she's also a total weirdo and not a TAG/CAG--she gets anxious at the vet, but I think her hormones get so worked up over the toweling that she focuses on that lol). She has pulled a key off my keyboard a few times, but I always supervise her closely, so I can take it away and stop it before she comes into contact with dangerous metals, circuits etc. It is important to know that even mouthing zinc etc can cause poisoning (even if they aren't chewing it)

Last edited:

Flboy

Dec 28, 2014
Greater Orlando area, Florida
Parrots
JoJo, 'Special' GCC, Bongo, Cinnamon GCC(wife's)
Anyone remember the food ol days of BlackBerry? I remember letting JoJo play with mine-what could he do? Well, by the time I noticed a small letter on the counter, the floor was littered with the the alphabet! Fortunately, company provided, unfortunately, a rough explanation!

OP
L

lvitali

May 6, 2021
there never pieces in the merda so i guess he ok

as for zinc, most aviary made of this, must depend on type of plating

unfortunatly mine does not remove all letters, he concentrat on one only, and destroy

noodles123

Jul 11, 2018
Parrots
Umbrella Cockatoo- 15? years old..I think?
there never pieces in the merda so i guess he ok

as for zinc, most aviary made of this, must depend on type of plating

unfortunatly mine does not remove all letters, he concentrat on one only, and destroy

Thankfully, I only lost one key completely to Noodles--- but shortly after, I tripped on a toy she threw and dropped an entire class of water on it LOL (so now I have to use a separate keyboard for the built in one).

A lot of aviaries that people "DIY" contain unfortunate levels of zinc. Most of the aviaries that I would consider safe are powder-coated iron or made with some other type of bird-safe metal. I know people do it (and I suppose the right coating could help, as it does with regard to iron) but in the US, most galvanized stuff is not safe for them. People who use what is basically thicker chicken wire for their parrot's aviaries should not be doing that. I'm not sure if we are talking about the same things though. I will say, a member from Australia said some types of galvanized products are labeled specifically in terms of contents and that some there were safe (in the US, I have never seen such specificity).

Last edited:
OP
L

lvitali

May 6, 2021
Thankfully, I only lost one key completely to Noodles--- but shortly after, I tripped on a toy she threw and dropped an entire class of water on it LOL (so now I have to use a separate keyboard for the built in one).
she planned that, giver her A+ for geomettry

A lot of aviaries that people "DIY" contain unfortunate levels of zinc. Most of the aviaries that I would consider safe are powder-coated iron or made with some other type of bird-safe metal. I know people do it (and I suppose the right coating could help, as it does with regard to iron) but in the US, most galvanized stuff is not safe for them. People who use what is basically thicker chicken wire for their parrot's aviaries should not be doing that. I'm not sure if we are talking about the same things though. I will say, a member from Australia said some types of galvanized products are labeled specifically in terms of contents and that some there were safe (in the US, I have never seen such specificity).
weldedmesh sold for birds is ok i think. its stiff, not rollable like chickin wire. must be better coating methods

Most Reactions