Kidney Disease Management - Cage Care!

patch

May 14, 2012
Parrots
Nanday mutation
Hi everyone! Long time no talk. Pepper developed kidney disease symptoms around age 5 but in the last couple of years (he's 10 now) he developed kidney disease. He is on medication and we just saw the vet for a blood panel over the weekend. His kidneys looked rough four months ago but after near-monthly checks post-medication change, now they look good! Specifically, we're watching his uric acid levels. He gets a variety of fruits daily plus his pellets and a big bowl of water. We got it all covered and he has another test four months out to test again.

I noticed that although I clean the bottom of his cage often, the increase in urine caused the iron cage tray to degrade. I think it's time I line it with something stronger than paper towels. Anybody know of a good bird safe cage liner I can put in the tray to protect the iron? Should I consider hemming a washable human incontinence bed pad to fit? I imagine it would have to be cotton for safety reasons. He has no access to the tray, thankfully, but I am concerned about some kind of substance making him sick. Thanks for any help you can provide!

Owlet

Oct 27, 2016
Colorado
Parrots
Lincoln (Eclectus), Apollo (Cockatiel), Aster (GCC)
newspaper and/or butcherpaper. if he has 100% no possible access to his tray you can also use puppy pads / incontinence pads just never use those if theres any chance of him chewing on it because of the plastic and absorbent materials inside them. Also make sure theyre the unscented kind

LeeC

Jun 5, 2019
Media
Harrisburg, PA
Parrots
Timneh: Grady;
Senegal: Charlie;
Sun Conure: Peaches (deceased)
Senegal: Georgia
Peach-fronted Conure: Milton (foster)
Brown-throated Conure: Pumpkin (foster)
Senegal: Fletcher
Senegal: Ivy
Are you looking to absorb the water, or just catch it and keep it off the (powder-coated?) metal tray? How about a silicone "tray"? They make them for under sink cabinets, as dog-bowl mats, etc. with raised edges.

1664841876374.png

It would be dishwasher-safe, too.

1664841971405.png

OP
patch

patch

May 14, 2012
Parrots
Nanday mutation
Are you looking to absorb the water, or just catch it and keep it off the (powder-coated?) metal tray? How about a silicone "tray"? They make them for under sink cabinets, as dog-bowl mats, etc. with raised edges.

View attachment 44704

It would be dishwasher-safe, too.

View attachment 44705

Apologies for the late reply! I'm looking for something that would act as a barrier between Pepper's droppings and the metal tray at the bottom. This might work!

OP
patch

patch

May 14, 2012
Parrots
Nanday mutation
newspaper and/or butcherpaper. if he has 100% no possible access to his tray you can also use puppy pads / incontinence pads just never use those if theres any chance of him chewing on it because of the plastic and absorbent materials inside them. Also make sure theyre the unscented kind
I was thinking of unscented puppy pads! He has absolutely no access to the tray because of the grate between him and the tray. That might work.

HeatherG

Apr 25, 2020
I was thinking of unscented puppy pads! He has absolutely no access to the tray because of the grate between him and the tray. That might work.
I’ve used chuck pads which are basically puppy pads on the floor of my birds cage. They worked well, and I bought in bulk on Amazon.

Most Reactions

Latest posts