KiwiAndBubblesBudgies1

Aug 14, 2021
Media
Wayne, PA
Parrots
Bubbles- An aqua and white female fancy parakeet

Star- An aqua and yellow (probably) male fancy parakeet

Kiwi- RIP my sweet little green boi TwT
So, I think I posted about this a long while back, but I’m starting to think about this issue again-

Kiwi an d Bubbles used to eat mostly pellets, but then they seemed to suddenly have trouble breaking apart and eating the pellets, so after trying out a few different pellet types- and none of them working- we set them onto a mostly seeds, millet, and carrot diet.

This is starting to worry me, since we separated their cage to help Kiwi recover and now their two food containers are split, one of them is used for millet and carrots, and the other for their daily seeds. Kiwi got the millet and carrots since that’s all that he’ll eat, and Bubbles got the mostly seeds. We gave Bubbles broccoli to make sure she isn’t on a completely seed diet, but they’re still eating mostly seeds and I’m starting to wonder if they’re even eating their veggies when we turn around-

Is it really an issue for them to be eating mostly seeds, and do you guys have any suggestions for them having a better diet, that hopefully have nothing to do with pellets since my parents are still pretty annoyed by the pellets we bought that they never even ate-?

BirdyBee

Jan 7, 2022
Media
Albums
South Africa
Parrots
Current birds:
John
Snowy
Pippen

Past birds:
Grumpy
Sunny
Griffen
Jeff
Gertjie
So, I think I posted about this a long while back, but I’m starting to think about this issue again-

Kiwi an d Bubbles used to eat mostly pellets, but then they seemed to suddenly have trouble breaking apart and eating the pellets, so after trying out a few different pellet types- and none of them working- we set them onto a mostly seeds, millet, and carrot diet.

This is starting to worry me, since we separated their cage to help Kiwi recover and now their two food containers are split, one of them is used for millet and carrots, and the other for their daily seeds. Kiwi got the millet and carrots since that’s all that he’ll eat, and Bubbles got the mostly seeds. We gave Bubbles broccoli to make sure she isn’t on a completely seed diet, but they’re still eating mostly seeds and I’m starting to wonder if they’re even eating their veggies when we turn around-

Is it really an issue for them to be eating mostly seeds, and do you guys have any suggestions for them having a better diet, that hopefully have nothing to do with pellets since my parents are still pretty annoyed by the pellets we bought that they never even ate-?
Have you tried to convince them to eat a healthier seed mix? One that contains seed like millet, flax, canary seed, niger, etc?

I proudly do not feed pellets as the main diet. I am only doing some TOP's for now, since I'm going on vacation and I want to make it easier for the carer to take care of them.

I feed dry mixes(a variety of dry grains, seeds, nuts, spices, flowers, some pellets, etc.) as it is more mentally enriching and also very healthy.

Some tips for feeding veg:

Make “chop” for your bird

Mix seeds/treats with their chop

Cut it up in different shapes/sizes/textures

Try leafy greens

Shove it through the cage bars

Feed it to your other birds if they eat veggies as birds will be more likely to trust their flock mates(I don't think this will work in your case as Bubbles is bullying Kiwi)

Eat it yourself(works for tame birds)

Feed it to them by hand(recommended for tame birds)

Offer vegetables that have water droplets on them

Sprouts are a good way to get them to eat some nutrients.

Remove any treat sticks/bells, or any preferred food temporarily(an hour max) so that they are willing to give the other food a try

Try heating them up(some birds like warmer food)

Eggs. I have not met a bird that refuses to eat eggs. Eggs are a great source of protiens, and a great conversion tool(only feed once of twice a week)

Hope it helps(no I did not find the tips online, so I can't give a link. It came from years of research, and I can't remember all the sources.)

OP
KiwiAndBubblesBudgies1

KiwiAndBubblesBudgies1

Aug 14, 2021
Media
Wayne, PA
Parrots

Have you tried to convince them to eat a healthier seed mix? One that contains seed like millet, flax, canary seed, niger, etc?

I proudly do not feed pellets as the main diet. I am only doing some TOP's for now, since I'm going on vacation and I want to make it easier for the carer to take care of them.

I feed dry mixes(a variety of dry grains, seeds, nuts, spices, flowers, some pellets, etc.) as it is more mentally enriching and also very healthy.

Some tips for feeding veg:

Make “chop” for your bird

Mix seeds/treats with their chop

Cut it up in different shapes/sizes/textures

Try leafy greens

Shove it through the cage bars

Feed it to your other birds if they eat veggies as birds will be more likely to trust their flock mates(I don't think this will work in your case as Bubbles is bullying Kiwi)

Eat it yourself(works for tame birds)

Feed it to them by hand(recommended for tame birds)

Offer vegetables that have water droplets on them

Sprouts are a good way to get them to eat some nutrients.

Remove any treat sticks/bells, or any preferred food temporarily(an hour max) so that they are willing to give the other food a try

Try heating them up(some birds like warmer food)

Eggs. I have not met a bird that refuses to eat eggs. Eggs are a great source of protiens, and a great conversion tool(only feed once of twice a week)

Hope it helps(no I did not find the tips online, so I can't give a link. It came from years of research, and I can't remember all the sources.)
I tried feeding Kiwi a boiled egg once when he was sick- just a little chunk- and he absolutely hated it… That is kinda weird because I’ve heard of how good eggs are for birbs-

I feed my birbs spinach and broccoli at random times, usually once a day or every two days.

I’m just hoping that that’s enough and that it’s still okay for them to eat mostly seeds-

We buy a seed mix that has a huge variety of seeds in it, and their main treat stick is a flax seed stick that they only get when I’m trying to get them out of their cage or to a certain spot for training.

BirdyBee

Jan 7, 2022
Media
Albums
South Africa
Parrots
Current birds:
John
Snowy
Pippen

Past birds:
Grumpy
Sunny
Griffen
Jeff
Gertjie
B
I tried feeding Kiwi a boiled egg once when he was sick- just a little chunk- and he absolutely hated it… That is kinda weird because I’ve heard of how good eggs are for birbs-

I feed my birbs spinach and broccoli at random times, usually once a day or every two days.

I’m just hoping that that’s enough and that it’s still okay for them to eat mostly seeds-

We buy a seed mix that has a huge variety of seeds in it, and their main treat stick is a flax seed stick that they only get when I’m trying to get them out of their cage or to a certain spot for training.
Budgies can be really hard to convert. Wishing you the best of luck!

OP
KiwiAndBubblesBudgies1

KiwiAndBubblesBudgies1

Aug 14, 2021
Media
Wayne, PA
Parrots

B

Budgies can be really hard to convert. Wishing you the best of luck!
Thanks! I think I’ll need it- Kiwi is sick and only eating millet and carrots, and Bubbles is the most stubborn birb I’ve ever met-

Most Reactions