Kiwi’s making progress

Nov 12, 2019
New England
Parrots
4 budgies, 1 cockatiel, 1 canary winged parakeet
Kiwi has been with us a whole month and I think he is making good progress. He’s eating very well, and has even started munching on pellets. We have avoided his escape attempts after his first and only launch out of the cage. He takes treats from my fingers, will eat seed from my palm, and has even started nibbling on pellets. We haven’t tried step up yet. He isn’t afraid of us, and will come up to hands for treats, we don’t bring our hands to him ever. He likes to show off and hang upside down and sideways on his bigger toys. He’s very playful. He loves to play with his foraging toys, but hasn’t eaten any of the “treats” inside. He sees the food, knows it’s food, but just doesn’t eat it. The veggie toy went very well, but it’s a bear to put together. I ordered bird safe food skewers and will try that when they arrive. He loves to try to destroy chunky things so he went to town with the veggies. I’m not sure if he ate any, but he wasn’t afraid of it, and he had to get a taste even if he didn’t eat any. So I’m counting that as a win. We used peppers, carrots and apples.

He likes to hold sunflower seeds or anything about that size in his foot to eat it. Sorry for the grainy photo, but I just had to get the shot and he’s not a fan of the phone!

That pretty much sums up his progress, but I have to say, I love the challenge.

Kiwi’s vet visit is scheduled (its 2 weeks out) and we are working on how to get him into the carrier. Once he has a clean bill of health I might try to do some training sessions with Precious in Kiwi’s sight. And depending on the mood, possibly with Stormy as well. That’s our grey and white budgie. He’s super sweet and docile, so we get about 3 minutes of good attention at a time before Stormy is off to the next thing. My thought is that if Kiwi sees other birds being rewarded for certain behaviors he might want to also get a reward. I’m sure it would work better if I had another bird of the same species, but I’m trying to work with what I have. This is just a thought that I have at this point, but it will obviously depend on how Kiwi feels with another bird in sight, as well as how the other birds feel about Kiwi being near (and in his cage). I’m not sure I’m expressing this correctly, but my brain is on overload, and I have like...2 minutes before I have to cook dinner. Hangry kids are no fun!

e5d530368fcee7c72797697455735933.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

pterry97

Aug 26, 2020
UK
Glad to see that despite his circumstances of being a gift that both he (and you) are adapting well towards life together. I hope the vet visit goes well and that you are enjoying your time with him!

Ceri

Aug 6, 2020
Bozeman, MT
Parrots
Jade & Jasper - Meyers - Adopted from Rescue - estimated age is 5 or 6.
I love this update!! I'm so happy for youuu!

Most Reactions

Latest posts