Lacking proper diet. HELP!

EscapedApe

Dec 10, 2022
Media
Parrots
I have one adopted blue and gold macaw.
Ive been reading through the forums and what diets are made and provided and fear that what I am providing my newly adopted macaw is just not adequate enough!
Please tell me what this chop diet is. How its made and when its given.
Ive also read eggs and certain beans need are part of the diet? Is this all mixed in a bowl? My Merlin only eats a pebble nut and dried food. Will eat some fruits. Doesnt like veggies! I dont know where to start with introducing a chop diet. Please help.

Attachments

• Message_1663432147265.jpg
    Message_1663432147265.jpg
    188.9 KB · Views: 40

BirdyBee

Jan 7, 2022
Media
Albums
South Africa
Parrots
Current birds:
John
Snowy
Pippen

Past birds:
Grumpy
Sunny
Griffen
Jeff
Gertjie
Chop is essentially just chopped up vegetables. There are a lot of recipes on the forum. I redcomend adding at least 3-4 green vegetables, 2-3 orange and yellow vegetables, and 1-2 red and purple vegetables. Make sure the vegetables you're feeding are bird safe, as many aren't.

Fruit shouldn't be a big part of the diet for most parrots(macaws included) because too much sugar can cause health issues.

Cooked legumes and beans are good for proteins. Again, make sure it's bird-safe. Boiled eggs are also good for birds.

Yes, all these stuff are mixed in a bowl and served to your bird.

You can add some of his current food(seeds/nuts) on the chop so it looks more enticing. Sprouts are also a good way to get them to try healthy foods as it is similar to seed.

Remember... he shouldn't eat only vegetables. Some seed and pellets is good, as long as it's good quality pellets/seed.

I hope this helps!

OP
E

EscapedApe

Dec 10, 2022
Media
Parrots
I have one adopted blue and gold macaw.
Chop is essentially just chopped up vegetables. There are a lot of recipes on the forum. I redcomend adding at least 3-4 green vegetables, 2-3 orange and yellow vegetables, and 1-2 red and purple vegetables. Make sure the vegetables you're feeding are bird safe, as many aren't.

Fruit shouldn't be a big part of the diet for most parrots(macaws included) because too much sugar can cause health issues.

Cooked legumes and beans are good for proteins. Again, make sure it's bird-safe. Boiled eggs are also good for birds.

Yes, all these stuff are mixed in a bowl and served to your bird.

You can add some of his current food(seeds/nuts) on the chop so it looks more enticing. Sprouts are also a good way to get them to try healthy foods as it is similar to seed.

Remember... he shouldn't eat only vegetables. Some seed and pellets is good, as long as it's good quality pellets/seed.

I hope this helps!
Is there a thread on here regarding the prep for the chop diet, recipes, how its stored and what is the recommended amount per day? Is it given morning and evening? Do you add the eggs and beans to it as well?

Much appreciated! Any info helps. I really want to steer Merlin away from Kaytee big bites.

BirdyBee

Jan 7, 2022
Media
Albums
South Africa
Parrots
Current birds:
John
Snowy
Pippen

Past birds:
Grumpy
Sunny
Griffen
Jeff
Gertjie
Is there a thread on here regarding the prep for the chop diet, recipes, how its stored and what is the recommended amount per day? Is it given morning and evening? Do you add the eggs and beans to it as well?

Much appreciated! Any info helps. I really want to steer Merlin away from Kaytee big bites.
Hmm... I haven't seen a thread like that... I should probably make one.

I'll try and find a few threads here with recipes you can try. It is 9PM where I am from and I am very tired, so I will help tomorrow.

Chop can be made in large batches, frozen, and then thawed as needed, using ice cube trays, or just in a smaller batch and stored in the fridge. A macaw would probably eat about a 1/2 cup of food in one meal, but it really depends on the bird itself. A big macaw will eat more food, and a smaller macaw will eat less.

I usually serve chop only once a day. Doesn't matter which time, whatever works best. I usually do in the evenings as it's most convenient. Remove vegetables after 2-3 hours outside at most. 1-2 is preferable.

Pellets and other dried foods(excluding nuts, seeds are ok as long as it's not too much) can be in the cage the whole day because it doesn't rot as it's left out.

Eggs I usually feed about once a month, but once a week is ideal. Beans can be incorporated into the chop. They should be cooked or sprouted first. I prefer to keep eggs separate from the chop, but that is my preference, egg can be added to chop but only when serving, never add it prior as boiled eggs don't stay fresh for very long.

@Cindylynn might be able to give more accurate advice about portion sizes for macaws and other stuff that is very species specific. I don't personally have a macaw but I have a few budgies and a cockatiel.

Most Reactions

Latest posts