Last night they wouldn't go to bed

KatybirdUK

Jun 17, 2022
Parrots
2 budgies, one cockatiel
My 3 birds (2 young budgies and a young cockatiel) have free range of the sitting room. The budgies have always gone to roost in the early evening and I cover them about 7:30. The tiel will sit on top of their cage and I put it in it's cage.

Last night they just wouldn't go! Even putting out the lights had no effect. Only the tiel is hand tame and it just hissed and snapped at me.

They spent the night sleeping outside the cage. It was probably 11 hours before they started calling for food, so that was OK at least.

I'm afraid they'll never go back inside. I don't feed them in their cages but maybe I'll start an evening snack inside.

Does anyone else have basically uncaged birds?

SailBoat

Supporting Member
Jul 10, 2015
Western, Michigan
Parrots
DYH Amazon
Once a Parrot is comfortable with being out of the cage. The cage should be the central location for food and water. If that location is separated from the cage it makes sense that they will stay away from the cage. Remember that Parrots are social and want to be with their group. In many cases Humans can be part of the group. Also, assure that you are adjusting the lighting in your home to follow what the Sunlight is doing outside. Food and Water should be available all day!

OP
K

KatybirdUK

Jun 17, 2022
Parrots
2 budgies, one cockatiel
They have food and water all day but not food at night.

The light outside isn't helpful as I'm pretty far north. The sun doesn't go down until well after 9pm.

I'm going to start giving them snacks in the evening in their cages and shut them in a bit before it's time to cover them.

May 2, 2021
Media
Albums
Vermont, USA
Parrots
Stormy(M): blue Australian budgie
Picasso(F): green Australian budgie
Apollo(F): sky blue dominant pied Australian budgie
My 3 birds (2 young budgies and a young cockatiel) have free range of the sitting room. The budgies have always gone to roost in the early evening and I cover them about 7:30. The tiel will sit on top of their cage and I put it in it's cage.

Last night they just wouldn't go! Even putting out the lights had no effect. Only the tiel is hand tame and it just hissed and snapped at me.

They spent the night sleeping outside the cage. It was probably 11 hours before they started calling for food, so that was OK at least.

I'm afraid they'll never go back inside. I don't feed them in their cages but maybe I'll start an evening snack inside.

Does anyone else have basically uncaged birds?
Mine can do this if they’ve had a bad day. They do it less than once a month, and I just leave them. By the next day, they’re totally fine with the cage. I don’t know if the cause is a bad day for your budgies, but leaving them overnight has worked for me!

OP
K

KatybirdUK

Jun 17, 2022
Parrots
2 budgies, one cockatiel
Well, they spent last night out, too. I had them in the cage for a snack but trying to remove the tiel made the budgies fly out.

Either they share a cage to sleep, or they're completely free range.

It's not a very large cage. OK for 2 budgies. But I don't know if I'm comfortable with the tiel being in there.

Perhaps if I get a bigger cage. I dunno

Most Reactions

Latest posts