Learn Why Stainless Steel Cages Are Great!

SteelyBird.com

Official Site Vendor
Feb 28, 2014
Take a minute and think about the long run with your bird. It will spend most of its life with you in its cage, which is why a quality cage should be one of your largest investments to keep your bird happy and healthy. Although there are many types of cages, stainless steel cages are at the top of the list when it comes to quality life-long bird homes, especially for larger birds. Here's why:

Healthy Environment:
1.Stainless steel cages do not have paint coating for your bird to pick at and are typically welded.

• Non-stainless steel cages may have painted bars or nuts and bolts that contain zinc or lead. Your bird may risk getting sick from eating paint chips by picking at the bars or trying to unscrew the bolts of the cage. They are smart lil' guys!
2. Stainless steel cages are rust resistant and non-porous, which means that the steel's surface is flat and causes it to resist the formation of bacteria. Remember, this is 304 grade stainless steel, which is the main metal that is used in hospitals because of its bacteria resistance and ease in cleaning.

• Cages that are non-stainless steel use metal or plastic for their cage. These cages have surfaces that are usually porous, which increases the chance of bacteria remaining on its surfaces, increasing the chance for your bird to get sick if it is not thoroughly cleaned.
Cleaning Your Cage has Never Been Easier:
4. Your bird may have the #1 title for food and waste scatterer, but your cage will have the #1 title for easiest to clean. Any mess on a stainless steel cage can be easily cleaned with a soft warm watered cloth because of its non-porous surface.

• Steps to Cleaning Stainless Steel Cages:
    1. Take your bird out of the cage, if necessary. Do not us steel wool, steel brushes, or abrasive cleaners.
    2. Dissolve dried messes with a good cage cleaner.
    3. Disinfect the cage surfaces with a solution made of 1/2 cup bleach and 1 gallon of water.
    4. Clean with a warm wet cloth and rinse. If necessary, remove fingerprints with a water and baking soda mix
    5. Dry your cage off with towels or let it air dry.
    6. Let your bird back into its happy home!
Never Replace Your Cage:
3. Stainless steel cages are usually welded for maximum durability and resist any abuse your bird tosses at it. This means you wont have to worry about your bird damaging your cage and having to pay for another replacement. Even worse, you can avoid having to worry about your bird swallowing a harmful metal cage fragment or cutting itself.

• Non-stainless steel cages are more likely to be constructed with a nut and bolt design, which tend to not be able to withstand a birds curious ability to undo any nut and bolt.
Stainless Steel Cages are a Bargain in the Long Run:
4. Although stainless steel cages can be pricey, they are worth the investment in the long-run. They are easy to clean, chip resistant, rust resistant, non-porous, and can withstand any abuse your bird throws at it. It will last for years, and look great in any household. If you make the investment early on by purchasing a stainless steel cage, it can save you the headache and expense of having to replace general metal or plastic cages because of your cage challenging bird.

Original Blog Post: Why Stainless Steel Cages? ? SteelyBird
--------
If you all have anything to add to this, please post in this thread and Ill edit the post to make it more informative. If I could clarify any of the statements made in this post, please let me know as well!

Kiwibird

Jul 12, 2012
Parrots
1 BFA- Kiwi. Hatch circa 98', forever home with us Dec. 08'
Hi. We already have a cage, but I did have a question on one of your other products- Soft Sided Travel Carrier Large BLACK ? SteelyBird

I was wondering if an amazon would fit in this carrier comfortably? Also, does it have longer or shorter straps? Kiwi used to be able to come on walks with us in warm weather on just an arm or shoulder. We moved, and I've noticed hawks around here, so he won't be able to come out anymore without protection :( Thinking this might be a nice solution that would be easy to carry on walks/hikes ext.... Or maybe you have something better thats easy to carry and keeps him safe (he won't wear any kind of harness though)? Thanks!

OP
SteelyBird.com

SteelyBird.com

Official Site Vendor
Feb 28, 2014
Hi. We already have a cage, but I did have a question on one of your other products- Soft Sided Travel Carrier Large BLACK ? SteelyBird

I was wondering if an amazon would fit in this carrier comfortably? Also, does it have longer or shorter straps? Kiwi used to be able to come on walks with us in warm weather on just an arm or shoulder. We moved, and I've noticed hawks around here, so he won't be able to come out anymore without protection :( Thinking this might be a nice solution that would be easy to carry on walks/hikes ext.... Or maybe you have something better thats easy to carry and keeps him safe (he won't wear any kind of harness though)? Thanks!

The size for the travel cage is
18.5" tall x 14.5" x 9". This should be able to fit Kiwi if he is a small-medium size Amazon. I do not think it comes with carrier straps. It looks like it only comes with a carrier handle, but I will shoot A&E cages an email to check! Currently I do not have any better options, although I will look through my products and update you. Even though this doesnt go through my store, check these guys out, they may have what really suits your needs - Celltei Pak-o-Bird - the high quality light-weight carrier for your birds and parrots (Ive actually just emailed them to see if they offer a retailer program)

Kiwibird

Jul 12, 2012
Parrots
1 BFA- Kiwi. Hatch circa 98', forever home with us Dec. 08'
Thanks! So long as it's fabric, I can just add longer straps. The other ones are nice, but I'd rather carry him in something like an oversized purse than strap him to my chest lol. Plus, that print is right up his alley :D I will definitely keep this in mind for summer!

aether-drifter

Jan 12, 2013
Portland, OR
Man, I would love a stainless steel cage SO much. Too bad I will likely never have $3000+ to spend on a bird cage. :'(

I have seen some amazing deals on Craigslist, but they are rarely in my area when I actually have money.

OP
SteelyBird.com

SteelyBird.com

Official Site Vendor
Feb 28, 2014
Thanks! So long as it's fabric, I can just add longer straps. The other ones are nice, but I'd rather carry him in something like an oversized purse than strap him to my chest lol. Plus, that print is right up his alley :D I will definitely keep this in mind for summer!

Sounds great! - and to clarify, the travel bag you highlighted comes with a padded shoulder strap.

OP
SteelyBird.com

SteelyBird.com

Official Site Vendor
Feb 28, 2014
Man, I would love a stainless steel cage SO much. Too bad I will likely never have $3000+ to spend on a bird cage. :'(

I have seen some amazing deals on Craigslist, but they are rarely in my area when I actually have money.

That's true, they can be very expensive! Although, there are a couple in the $800-$1000 range I sell, but these are smaller. The BIG cages can be up there though.

aether-drifter

Jan 12, 2013
Portland, OR
I need a very large one for a cockatoo, unfortunately. But if there was something the size of a flight cage or a little bigger, with small bar spacing, for around $800 I would certainly be interested for my cockatiels. As far as I know there is nothing like that currently on the market. Hopefully some day!

Most Reactions