• 20220415_165907.jpg
    20220415_165907.jpg
    164 KB · Views: 103

ravvlet

Jun 25, 2019
Seattle WA
Parrots
Kirby - OWA, 33yrs old (2019-)
Broccoli - Dusky Conure - 3?mo old (July 2023 -)
~~~
(Rehomed) Sammy - YNA, 45 yrs old (2022-2023)
(RIP) Cricket - Cockatiel (2019-2022)
Is that a gaming headset?! My OWA hangs out with me while I play online games, although he prefers to be on his playstand and yelling in the background where everyone can hear him!

OP
Alexx

Alexx

Mar 25, 2022
Parrots
Amazon
Lowkey panick cause havent google it yet. He has been out and exploring all day. he barely eat anything tho. He dont seem phased with the new home either, Rehome stress?

kme3388

Sep 17, 2021
Minnesota, USA
Parrots
Eclectus Parrot: Nico (male)
Jenday Conure: Kiwi (female)
Hi there, and welcome. Congratulations on your Amazon Rio!!!

I love gaming as well. Both of my parrots like to make random noises while I’m gaming. I mute my headset a lot for that purpose. No one wants to listen to my Ekkie sound like a car alarm repeatedly.

ravvlet

Jun 25, 2019
Seattle WA
Parrots
Kirby - OWA, 33yrs old (2019-)
Broccoli - Dusky Conure - 3?mo old (July 2023 -)
~~~
(Rehomed) Sammy - YNA, 45 yrs old (2022-2023)
(RIP) Cricket - Cockatiel (2019-2022)
Lowkey panick cause havent google it yet. He has been out and exploring all day. he barely eat anything tho. He dont seem phased with the new home either, Rehome stress?
Sammy was like that the first week home. He was eating but it seemed like nothing compared to our other bird, who is a pig. I think it’s normal, just keep an eye on it and check his weight!

theparrotcafe

Apr 16, 2022
Parrots
Eclectus
He sounds like he is a fortunate bird to have you! Please don’t underestimate the cost involved with toys. Safe toys should be rotated on a regular basis to keep him busy. He may take awhile to warm up to toys if he’s been neglected but he will eventually come around. Thank you for rescuing him!

OP
Alexx

Alexx

Mar 25, 2022
Parrots
Amazon
Made him chops with bok choy ,arugula, swiss chard, bell pepers, brocoli. Added ornate barley, chia, quinoa, flax seed and oat. He is loving it, ate it over is regular seed mix.

Got a question about fruits tho, i've read that too much sugar from them can be an issue since they dont need all that ''fuel'' like they do in the wild to travel and look for food on great distances. And other sites tell to feed them fruits every day. So should I feed them daily or like every other day? Thank you!

Laurasea

Aug 2, 2018
USA
Parrots
Full house
Most places say 10% of diet is fruits. So can be a small amount daily.
I do fruits about twice a week. Or like I just got blackberries, so we all eat them every day till gone.

HeatherG

Apr 25, 2020
Most places say 10% of diet is fruits. So can be a small amount daily.
I do fruits about twice a week. Or like I just got blackberries, so we all eat them every day till gone.
I freeze berries and chopped fruit when I get it and then serve a single piece or berry at a time to my small birds.

I do the same with cherry tomatoes.

I really need my freezer space so I haven’t made chop for a long time. But then, my birds will eat veggies or fruit, out of chop. I find that I need to prepare or present the fruit or veggies in a certain way depending on bird species. For example, when I had a greencheek, I had to cut open small fruits and cherry tomatoes so he could see the seeds. I need to reveal the pea and bean seeds or the Quaker leaves them uneaten.

OP
Alexx

Alexx

Mar 25, 2022
Parrots
Amazon
Little update, cant remember how i did without this little guy before. He knows my schedule at this point and i can hear him from the street when i get to the front of the house (he doesnt yell all the time i got a baby monitor on him when i'm not there). He does a LOT of bitting when he plays, to the point where i would be worried to let him play with other people. It does not bother me because he knows when to stop ''applying pressure. I try to move is attention away when he gets to focused on that.

Any pointers or little tricks to help with that. Also i have been looking into potential health issue and fat liver keeps poppin up. From what i can gather nuts or seed (sunflower esp) can be a problem yet part of the diet. He got the vedgies, pellets and nut mix and the nut mix is the one he is always going for first. Any ''less fat'' nut mix out there?

OP
Alexx

Alexx

Mar 25, 2022
Parrots
Amazon
Such a lucky bird to have found such a great friend in s new forever home! Rio is beautiful (but all birdies are, aren't they)!
they are, almost bought a jenday conure this week cause i have been working with him a lot to not be afraid of hands. But he finally got a home this week.

Attachments

• 20230206_094114.jpg
    20230206_094114.jpg
    322.2 KB · Views: 32

Most Reactions

Latest posts