Least smart parrot species, on average?

Truepacifist

Jan 28, 2023
Parrots
I don't have a parrot yet but I want to get one and learn about them first
All parrots are smart, but is there a species which is the most "simple?" In your experience? I feel like the biggest challenges of captive parrots are probably intelligence related.

Owlet

Oct 27, 2016
Colorado
Parrots
Lincoln (Eclectus), Apollo (Cockatiel), Aster (GCC)
imma have to go with a cockatiel. dont get me wrong, they're still super intelligent, but they also have like 2 brain cells, one capable of functioning normally and the other is just Fear. They're very skittish and that usually wins out over the intelligence.

OP
Truepacifist

Truepacifist

Jan 28, 2023
Parrots
imma have to go with a cockatiel. dont get me wrong, they're still super intelligent, but they also have like 2 brain cells, one capable of functioning normally and the other is just Fear. They're very skittish and that usually wins out over the intelligence.
Do you think them being less smart makes them easier birds to keep? I can see how the skittish factor could actually lead to really problematic behaviour though. Like constantly getting spooked by things and biting at changes in the environment.

zERo

Staff member
Super Moderator
Dec 9, 2021
Media
Texas
Parrots
Tony-Green QP(M)
Tom-Pineapple GCC(M)
Milly- Sparrow (F)
I agree here 😅

Owlet

Oct 27, 2016
Colorado
Parrots
Lincoln (Eclectus), Apollo (Cockatiel), Aster (GCC)
Do you think them being less smart makes them easier birds to keep? I can see how the skittish factor could actually lead to really problematic behaviour though. Like constantly getting spooked by things and biting at changes in the environment.
no, I wouldnt say any species of parrot (or bird in general) is easy to keep. they all have their pros and cons.

Rozalka

Supporting Member
Parrot of the Month 🏆
May 23, 2018
Media
Albums
Poland
Parrots
Bourke's parrots, green cheeked conure
Maybe Bourkes and grass parrots?
They are smart in own way too, I had a feeling to go with a kind which isn't able to keep food in their feet like most other parrots do. Budgies can't do it neither but IMO they seem to be smarter than Bourkes

texsize

Supporting Member
Parrot of the Month 🏆
Oct 23, 2015
Media
so-cal
Parrots
1 YNA (Bingo)
1 OWA (Plumas R.I.P.)
1 RLA (Pacho R.I.P.)
2 GCA(Luna,Merlin) The Twins
1 Congo AG (Bella)
5 Cockatiels
I would vote cockatiel also.

They live in the moment and don't think things out the way a larger parrot would.

Keep in mind my experience has only been Amazon's. African Grey , and Cockatiel so amongst that list the Cockatiel is definitely runner up so to speak.

ravvlet

Jun 25, 2019
Seattle WA
Parrots
Kirby - OWA, 33yrs old (2019-)
Broccoli - Dusky Conure - 3?mo old (July 2023 -)
~~~
(Rehomed) Sammy - YNA, 45 yrs old (2022-2023)
(RIP) Cricket - Cockatiel (2019-2022)
I agree about cockatiels, but will say mine was less easily spooked and more kid in a candy store. He never, NEVER seemed to be able to tell if a situation was dangerous and sorta dived right in. He was so curious about EVERYTHING.

A tiel is a lot like a puppy with wings. However - he learned to spin around and do a few other things on command that Kirby - an orange wing amazon and arguably a smarter bird - would never deign to do, LOL.

Personally I found him to be incredibly charming. Many years ago I had a Timneh African grey, and they’re terribly smart, but they can ALSO be extremely fearful because of that intelligence! I always thought if I got another bird it would be another TAG- and then I met Kirby (twice, haha, first time we didn't click!) and now I couldn’t be happier.

Cricket (the cockatiel) was also a little escape artist and would find the weirdest places to nap, especially right before bed time when I went looking for him to put him in his cage. One time I thought he’d squeezed out a rip in the screen door, panicked, posted to Lost Pets of King County and everything - to realize he’d decided to go to sleep on the chandelier. Had to go explain myself to everyone online (they had a good laugh), and duct taped that gosh darn door!

Another time he DID get out, at a totally different house, and went on a three day walkabout! He was such a trusting ding dong though that when he got tired of his little vacation he stepped up for someone at the bus stop three miles from my house! Thankfully I had absolutely PEPPERED downtown with color flyers with his photo and my number and the guy called me immediately - but he had to hand Cricket off to some high schoolers because he needed to board the bus - and the teens walked him home while he napped on one of their heads! He was unbelievable. I miss him terribly.

Rozalka

Supporting Member
Parrot of the Month 🏆
May 23, 2018
Media
Albums
Poland
Parrots
Bourke's parrots, green cheeked conure
Maybe Bourkes and grass parrots?
They are smart in own way too, I had a feeling to go with a kind which isn't able to keep food in their feet like most other parrots do. Budgies can't do it neither but IMO they seem to be smarter than Bourkes
I'll just add that my experience is only with budgies, Bourkes and a conure, so I can't really say anything about cockatiels like others vote. In general Bourkes and grasskeets are rarely kept, so I'm not sure if somebody here has experience with them and cockatiels to be able to write own opinion what's smarter

ravvlet

Jun 25, 2019
Seattle WA
Parrots
~~~
I’ve heard parrotlets, in spite of their size, are kind of like tiny tyrants! My friend keeps them and I sometimes bird sit. They definitely are saucy (and hers doesn’t like me, LOL), but I’m not sure how smart they are. Because of their extremely small size they’re quite skittish.

texsize

Supporting Member
Parrot of the Month 🏆
Oct 23, 2015
Media
so-cal
Parrots
1 YNA (Bingo)
1 OWA (Plumas R.I.P.)
1 RLA (Pacho R.I.P.)
1 Congo AG (Bella)
5 Cockatiels
I’ve heard parrotlets, in spite of their size, are kind of like tiny tyrants! My friend keeps them and I sometimes bird sit. They definitely are saucy (and hers doesn’t like me, LOL), but I’m not sure how smart they are. Because of their extremely small size they’re quite skittish.
I wonder about them.

SailBoat

Supporting Member
Jul 10, 2015
Western, Michigan
Parrots
DYH Amazon
Illogical question, as the assumption assumes some kind of scale that does not exist. Each Parrot, shall we say bird are hardwire to make very rapid choices, at speed. That alone defines a high level of capacity. Humans are slow in comparison.

Sorry, buy I feel there is an alternative motive to the question. The full spectrum of Birds are rapid thinkers and commonly leave Humans questioning: What just happened!

If Humans could fly, using our brains, we would be crashing to a level that would have us walking.

Last edited:
OP
Truepacifist

Truepacifist

Jan 28, 2023
Parrots
Illogical question, as the assumption assumes some kind of scale that does not exist. Each Parrot, shall we say bird are hardwire to make very rapid choices, at speed. That alone defines a high level of capacity. Humans are slow in comparison.

Sorry, buy I feel there is an alternative motive to the question. The full spectrum of Birds are rapid thinkers and commonly leave Humans questioning: What just happened!

If Humans could fly, using our brains, we would be crashing to a level that would have us walking.
That makes sense. No alternative motive. Just that I keep reading that african greys are the smartest parrot but no one ever asks what's the least smart parrot. And surely if there's a most intelligent, then there must be a least, right? Of course they are indivudals but it's sort of like how certain dog breeds are more classically intelligent than others. Maybe a better way to phrase it is the least likely to be able to apply their intelligence to human intelligence oriented tasks, like solving puzzles or learning tricks.

SailBoat

Supporting Member
Jul 10, 2015
Western, Michigan
Parrots
DYH Amazon
That makes sense. No alternative motive. Just that I keep reading that african greys are the smartest parrot but no one ever asks what's the least smart parrot. And surely if there's a most intelligent, then there must be a least, right? Of course they are indivudals but it's sort of like how certain dog breeds are more classically intelligent than others. Maybe a better way to phrase it is the least likely to be able to apply their intelligence to human intelligence oriented tasks, like solving puzzles or learning tricks.
Nice, but no!

First, Africa Greys are very intelligent, but not 'the' most intelligent, remember; on what scale is one measuring? The examples have been worked with at highly interactions levels with specific Parrots with hours of very specific time spent on very targeted subject mater. That same level with other large Parrots can provide equal or more.

Once again, based on what scale is the smartest. I have not come across a dumb Parrot /bird as what they need to survive is fully in place and functioning to its fullest.

Not going to continue further in this discussion as it is not well founded. Birds are not dumb! They have out lasted near all other species and will likely do the same well into the future.

𝕾𝖙𝖔𝖗𝖒𝖞𝕻𝖎𝖈𝖆

2x Parrot of the Month 🏆
May 2, 2021
Media
Albums
Vermont, USA
Parrots
Stormy(M): blue Australian budgie
Picasso(F): green Australian budgie
Apollo(F): sky blue dominant pied Australian budgie
Have to butt in here- many people think budgies are the least intelligent, when budgies are pretty smart. So if you get budgies, be prepared. They remind me of a more-intelligent cat in a way. Full of mischief with plenty of tricks up their sleeve to avoid whatever they want to. But they are great companions. Very playful (yet mischievous) once tamed and they have their own, very distinct, personalities.

As for least smart, like Boat said, no bird is dumb. They're all intelligent in their own ways. But I've heard that cockatiels can be less intelligent (than a budgie, for example) when it comes to problem-solving. That also depends on the individual, though. And they have evolved to survive in their natural environment, like every parrot species. A wild cockatiel may not need to be as cunning and good at problem-solving as a wild budgie or another parrot species to survive.

texsize

Supporting Member
Parrot of the Month 🏆
Oct 23, 2015
Media
so-cal
Parrots
1 YNA (Bingo)
1 OWA (Plumas R.I.P.)
1 RLA (Pacho R.I.P.)
1 Congo AG (Bella)
5 Cockatiels
There is definitely different kinds of intelligence.
a bit like comparing a diesel engine to a gas engine.
the gas engine tends to have more horsepower.
The diesel more torque (for comparable displacement).
gas will move you with more flash and thunder.
diesel will pull a bigger load.

My CAG is incredibly verbal and learns new words without us trying to teach her. “Flash”

My Yellow nape (I am convinced) is just as smart but doesn’t show it much in the verbal area. “Torque”

DonnaBudgie

Supporting Member
Jan 24, 2023
Windham, Maine
Parrots
Budgies. Lotsa Budgies.
My cockatiel Charlie wasn't afraid of anything! He was very tame, always cheerful, and whistled real songs. The fact that he was so consistently nice DID make me think he was somewhat "simple minded" and perhaps some would say he wasn't "intelligent" enough to exhibit complex moods but I considered it a plus rather than a negative thing. Maybe he was smart enough to know there was nothing in his little world to be scared of.

DonnaBudgie

Supporting Member
Jan 24, 2023
Windham, Maine
Parrots
Budgies. Lotsa Budgies.
Nice, but no!

First, Africa Greys are very intelligent, but not 'the' most intelligent, remember; on what scale is one measuring? The examples have been worked with at highly interactions levels with specific Parrots with hours of very specific time spent on very targeted subject mater. That same level with other large Parrots can provide equal or more.

Once again, based on what scale is the smartest. I have not come across a dumb Parrot /bird as what they need to survive is fully in place and functioning to its fullest.

Not going to continue further in this discussion as it is not well founded. Birds are not dumb! They have out lasted near all other species and will likely do the same well into the future.
I agree. There are no dumb birds. A dumb bird is a dead bird.

ravvlet

Jun 25, 2019
Seattle WA
Parrots
~~~
I mean
My cockatiel Charlie wasn't afraid of anything! He was very tame, always cheerful, and whistled real songs. The fact that he was so consistently nice DID make me think he was somewhat "simple minded" and perhaps some would say he wasn't "intelligent" enough to exhibit complex moods but I considered it a plus rather than a negative thing. Maybe he was smart enough to know there was nothing in his little world to be scared of.

Charlie and Cricket would have gotten along. He was just like that too. I totally forgot about the whistling; I really miss hearing him across the house.

DonnaBudgie

Supporting Member
Jan 24, 2023
Windham, Maine
Parrots
Budgies. Lotsa Budgies.
I mean

Charlie and Cricket would have gotten along. He was just like that too. I totally forgot about the whistling; I really miss hearing him across the house.
I think one of the reasons people think cockatiels are less intelligent is their appearance. They look like silly clowns with their pointy heads (dunce caps?) and bright orange perfectly round cheek patches (clown make-up)! It's hard to take such a goofy looking bird seriously. An African Grey wouldn't look like the sharpest beak in the shed wearing gaudy orange rouge and a funny hat either, would he? So let's not be so hard on poor cockatiels- it's not their fault they look so dumb!

Most Reactions

Latest posts