OrrinocosMom

Jul 29, 2021
Media
Albums
New England
Parrots
Orrinoco The Pirate
Hello Friends,
I have to go away for four days. Normally I leave my 3 dogs who my bird finds very entertaining, but this time my bird, Noco, will be alone. My pet care gal comes twice a day to feed and play for 15-20 minutes or so. But I'm worried - I've never left him for so long before. Is it terrible that he will be along for so long?? Will he be tooooo scared or lonely?

Anyone have experience leaving a bird for four days?? The thought of this makes me want to cry! (He is used to lots of interaction.)
😔

Thank you for your thoughts.

Attachments

• PXL_20220520_235616980_exported_0.jpg
    PXL_20220520_235616980_exported_0.jpg
    161.1 KB · Views: 49

wrench13

Staff member
Super Moderator
Parrot of the Month 🏆
Nov 22, 2015
Media
Albums
Isle of Long, NY
Parrots
Yellow Shoulder Amazon, Salty
Hi ! Just so we are clear are you:
a) Going to leave Orinoco alone for 4 days, with zero daily care and human contact or
b) Going to leave him for 4 days and your doggie care person will visit to change water and feed him and play or interact for 10-15 min per day?

Answer a) above is highly inadvisable - parrots need fresh water and feed at minimum 1X per day.

In either case, Orinoco will miss you. I advise telling him about your planned absence a few days before you actually go. Use your fingers to show how long you will be gone. You would think that he might not understand, but it is surprising how much doing that helps them cope with the absence and can greatly cut down on the pissed off parrot attitude upon your return. I know for certain, if I skip this when I am away for a gig or something, he bears me a grudge for several days (biting and being standoffish).

saxguy64

Staff member
Super Moderator
Apr 24, 2018
Media
Albums
Maine, USA
Parrots
Tucker the Red Sided Eclectus
Baxter the YNA
Avery the CAG
Patches the Grand Eclectus, my best friend. RIP
Cuckoo the BFA RIP
Agree with above. Preparation ahead of time is hugely helpful. Some folks even use visuals like a picture chart or even things like small balls on a rack of some kind. Take one away every day until you leave so he sees, and explain what you're doing. I have to go away for 4 days in 6 days... 5 days... 4 days... Then possibly put the number of items back for the number of days until you're coming back, and have your pet care friend take one away each day until you return, using the same process. I know, sounds weird, but folks have had success with that approach.

Also, maybe consider facetime/Skype/FB video chat with him while your person is there for feeding and such. That way you can talk to him and he can see your face. My guys love doing that if I have to be away for a few days. I also have others in the house while I'm away, so it's less of an issue, but they're very much daddy's babies, so they don't like it when I'm not there.

Hawaii

May 23, 2022
Parrots
One Hahn’s Macaw.
Is your Orinoco used to the pet girl? I was wondering if the bird will interact with strangers? I have the same concern if I have to travel anywhere where I won’t be able to take my feathered baby (Hawaii- a hahn’s macaw) along. He is only 1yr young and I never left him to anyone else’s care so far.

Most Reactions

Latest posts