Leg Band removal and microchip

tacocaTEclectus

Mar 22, 2022
Parrots
tacocaT the Eclectus hatched 9/16/22
Hey, I did a quick search and found a lot of controversy. Taco is going to the vet on Monday and I’m planning on having him microchipped. Should I also have his leg band removed? I have read that they can get caught on things (including their own feet) but it’s also an easy visualization that a bird has been owned. Not everyone would think to get a bird scanned at a vet if they’ve found one, you know?
What are your thoughts?

Attachments

• ED0C7AA2-E0E2-4194-BF44-CAC55241A5C7.jpeg
    ED0C7AA2-E0E2-4194-BF44-CAC55241A5C7.jpeg
    286.3 KB · Views: 64
  • 7E913664-1FC7-4F68-9A2B-B791E9578B06.jpeg
    7E913664-1FC7-4F68-9A2B-B791E9578B06.jpeg
    219.1 KB · Views: 66

LaManuka

Staff member
Super Moderator
Aug 29, 2018
Media
Albums
Queensland, Australia
Parrots
Fang ({ab}normal grey cockatiel), Valentino (budgie), Jem (cinnamon cockatiel), Lovejoy(varied lorikeet), Peach (princess parrot)
Practices may vary with this, I think. I once had a micro-chip inserted in a quaker parrot a few years ago, and as part of that process my avian vet removed the old leg band that had been fitted by his breeder and replaced it with a stainless steel one. It was actually part of the micro-chipping process because the particular stainless steel leg ring he was fitted with was an outward indictator that he had a micro-chip. It was a while ago now and I actually can't remember if fitting the new band was optional or not, but I did choose to have it fitted too. If a chipped bird escapes and is caught by someone else and presented at a vet or a refuge, it lets them know that they should check for the chip to hopefully find the rightful owner. As I say, I'm not 100% sure if the leg band is an essential part of the chipping process, but you certainly can discuss with your avian vet as to whether the leg band is necessarily required to be fitted in this case or not.

SailBoat

Supporting Member
Jul 10, 2015
Western, Michigan
Parrots
DYH Amazon
Congratulations for considering microchip for your Parrot.

Near all Vets have microchip devices to read and report. Most all Avian Professions will examine during the New Parrot Examination for any signs of a recently removed leg bang, tattoo sex making from a surgical sex verification and of course Microchips.

The criminal that will break into your home and steal your Parrots and other valuables will not care whether it has a band or not as they will simply removed it! Those who find the Parrot and honestly want to find its owner will be directed to a Vet for a chip search.

Why microchip? In near all first world nations Parrots are considered property and require proof that the stolen property is yours! Photographs are not considered conclusive proof. The only proof you have is the microchip!

Remember that the thief is going to remove the leg band and if they are really smart, they will place an open ring band in its place and sell the Parrot.

ravvlet

Jun 25, 2019
Seattle WA
Parrots
Kirby - OWA, 33yrs old (2019-)
Broccoli - Dusky Conure - 3?mo old (July 2023 -)
~~~
(Rehomed) Sammy - YNA, 45 yrs old (2022-2023)
(RIP) Cricket - Cockatiel (2019-2022)
When we had our Amazon chipped, they removed his band (it was an open band, possibly the kind for wild-caught birds, interestingly - he is rather old). I still have it in a baggie somewhere actually. They did not replace it with a new band, I think the microchip is sufficient and like Sailboat said, if someone finds your bird and calls a vet to locate the owner, the vet will know to check a microchip. Some city animal shelters know this too.

Most Reactions

Latest posts