Leg bands

lkane12673

Feb 10, 2023
Parrots
Green Cheek Conure
My new GCC came with a metal leg band. Are these safe to leave on for identification purposes or should I have the vet remove it? I don’t want her getting it caught on anything or it irritating her leg.

onamom

Staff member
Super Moderator
Parrot of the Month 🏆
May 9, 2022
Indiana, USA
Parrots
Ona: Dilute Green Cheek Conure
I had Ona’s taken off. Some leave them on and others have them removed. I personally would have it removed for safety. I saw Ona almost get hers caught and that was the final straw for me.

DonnaBudgie

Supporting Member
Jan 24, 2023
Windham, Maine
Parrots
Budgies. Lotsa Budgies.
I had Ona’s taken off. Some leave them on and others have them removed. I personally would have it removed for safety. I saw Ona almost get hers caught and that was the final straw for me.
How did the vet remove it? It seems like it would be difficult. I don't blame you for wanting it removed. Even if it doesn't injure your bird I get claustrophobic just thinking about having something like that on my body. I had a cast on my arm for two months once and it was a struggle not to try to remove it myself. I wonder if birds ever get emotionally distressed and hurt themselves biting at it.

onamom

Staff member
Super Moderator
Parrot of the Month 🏆
May 9, 2022
Indiana, USA
Parrots
Ona: Dilute Green Cheek Conure
How did the vet remove it? It seems like it would be difficult. I don't blame you for wanting it removed. Even if it doesn't injure your bird I get claustrophobic just thinking about having something like that on my body. I had a cast on my arm for two months once and it was a struggle not to try to remove it myself. I wonder if birds ever get emotionally distressed and hurt themselves biting at it.
They just cut it off. It’s very quick and easy.

SailBoat

Supporting Member
Jul 10, 2015
Western, Michigan
Parrots
DYH Amazon
Great choice!! As stated, once the Parrot leaves the breeders facility it has not use. The reality is, they are also very likely to become entangled in any number of things.

Coming into a room with ones Parrot hanging-up side down, screaming from a leg band is no joy!

The Vet will use a tool that will cut (nip) the leg band-off. Very quick and simple procedure.

GaleriaGila

Parrot of the Month 🏆
May 14, 2016
Cleveland area
Parrots
The Rickeybird, 38-year-old Patagonian Conure
Yeah, our experienced avian vet took the Rb's band off 38 years ago... no second thoughts since. She grabbed him quickly, snipped the band in in two places; it fell off; I saved it; still got it.

Botsari

Nov 1, 2022
Santa Cruz Mountains, CA
Parrots
African Greys
They are safe - mostly. Most birds never have the least problem. Still, “most” is not “all”. . Back in the day, several decades ago, they were pretty much mandatory to prove your bird was not wild caught. Basically the solid ring proved the bird was banded right after it hatched. You would NEVER buy a bird that was unbanded - it was considered unethical by the vast majority of people - and at the time it was considered the tip of the sword against illegal and harmful trade in endangered species. Of course taking one off AFTER you buy a bird is a separate issue. Up to you.

Nowadays these have largely been replaced by chips, and there is a bit more of of an international legal structure in place to protect wild birds. My parrots born decades ago had some basic info stamped on the band, like month and year of hatching. Sometimes the breeder would also put their ID on there too. Now the chips have birth date, but also sex, name, home address and phone number. Also anything you care to add. You can buy a device to edit the info, but most people now have their vet do it for them.

My new baby 4 month old African grey came straight from the breeder with a chip, but no permanent band. But I have been following him since two weeks after he hatched. He still has a removable plastic band (kind of like a key ring) that was put on him to ID him after his genetic sexing while still being hand fed with his siblings. But it needs basically 4 hands to take off - 2 each for bird and band. I’m going to have to convince someone to help me! 😅

Last edited:

Beebee0221

Mar 15, 2022
Parrots
Bee Bee
My new GCC came with a metal leg band. Are these safe to leave on for identification purposes or should I have the vet remove it? I don’t want her getting it caught on anything or it irritating her leg.
I had mine removed on my two parrots. Their legs seemed to be growing scar tissue around it.

DonnaBudgie

Supporting Member
Jan 24, 2023
Windham, Maine
Parrots
Budgies. Lotsa Budgies.
They are safe - mostly. Most birds never have the least problem. Still, “most” is not “all”. . Back in the day, several decades ago, they were pretty much mandatory to prove your bird was not wild caught. Basically the solid ring proved the bird was banded right after it hatched. You would NEVER buy a bird that was unbanded - it was considered unethical by the vast majority of people - and at the time it was considered the tip of the sword against illegal and harmful trade in endangered species. Of course taking one off AFTER you buy a bird is a separate issue. Up to you.

Nowadays these have largely been replaced by chips, and there is a bit more of of an international legal structure in place to protect wild birds. My parrots born decades ago had some basic info stamped on the band, like month and year of hatching. Sometimes the breeder would also put their ID on there too. Now the chips have birth date, but also sex, name, home address and phone number. Also anything you care to add. You can buy a device to edit the info, but most people now have their vet do it for them.

My new baby 4 month old African grey came straight from the breeder with a chip, but no permanent band. But I have been following him since two weeks after he hatched. He still has a removable plastic band (kind of like a key ring) that was put on him to ID him after his genetic sexing while still being hand fed with his siblings. But it needs basically 4 hands to take off - 2 each for bird and band. I’m going to have to convince someone to help me! 😅
Very interesting information. Thanks!

Most Reactions

Latest posts