Leg/foot injury

CricketIRN

Sep 1, 2021
Parrots
Indian Ringnecks green female and blue male
When I got my RN 3 moths ago she had a limp/ kept her foot up. I asked the seller if she was injured recently. Which he didnā€™t answer truthfully. I took her to a vet, prescribed vitamins and antibiotics. It seemed she was getting a little better but. After the course of medicine finished she lifted her foot again. So I went to a different vet, he said thereā€™s nothing wrong with the leg and that it may be a chick? injury he gave me a course of vitamins. To use every other week. The thing that got me off was he didnā€™t even touch her. Is that normal?!

Emeral

Sep 16, 2021
Parrots
Hanhs Macaw
When I got my RN 3 moths ago she had a limp/ kept her foot up. I asked the seller if she was injured recently. Which he didnā€™t answer truthfully. I took her to a vet, prescribed vitamins and antibiotics. It seemed she was getting a little better but. After the course of medicine finished she lifted her foot again. So I went to a different vet, he said thereā€™s nothing wrong with the leg and that it may be a chick? injury he gave me a course of vitamins. To use every other week. The thing that got me off was he didnā€™t even touch her. Is that normal?!
I would be off too. I've been to many vets, some are good, some are bad. It is always very high in inconsistentcy. From, their view, they probably have to minimize getting bite? If the leg is hurt, close examination may require sedation.

My CURRENT avian vet, talk to my Emerald, talk to me, giving clear explanation, a kind way, with eye contact. Then there was the use of towel to wrap her in for up close (anger causing) inspection. And One time, when small operation was needed, there was the use of anesthesia or sedative medicine. So that she slept through the procedure.

Some birds stand on one leg to rest. Some also stand like this with injured leg. But you said she lift her foot after the cause of medicine finished. That is worrying.

send us a photo of the way she stand, can you touch her feet? An experienced vet should at least touch her leg and feet. What about x-ray of her feet?

OP
CricketIRN

CricketIRN

Sep 1, 2021
Parrots
I would be off too. I've been to many vets, some are good, some are bad. It is always very high in inconsistentcy. From, their view, they probably have to minimize getting bite? If the leg is hurt, close examination may require sedation.

My CURRENT avian vet, talk to my Emerald, talk to me, giving clear explanation, a kind way, with eye contact. Then there was the use of towel to wrap her in for up close (anger causing) inspection. And One time, when small operation was needed, there was the use of anesthesia or sedative medicine. So that she slept through the procedure.

Some birds stand on one leg to rest. Some also stand like this with injured leg. But you said she lift her foot after the cause of medicine finished. That is worrying.

send us a photo of the way she stand, can you touch her feet? An experienced vet should at least touch her leg and feet. What about x-ray of her feet?
I have on occasion touched the leg and toes. It didnā€™t bother her at all. He didnā€™t take an x ray because he saw no swelling or discoloration. He says itā€™s an old injury that I should leave alone. I live in Iraq.

Attachments

• 661AFA2E-0CAB-4332-95C1-FE6471EB3E4A.jpeg
    661AFA2E-0CAB-4332-95C1-FE6471EB3E4A.jpeg
    300.3 KB · Views: 90
  • E8BE04E7-6F42-4CEA-B429-63EA0072221D.jpeg
    E8BE04E7-6F42-4CEA-B429-63EA0072221D.jpeg
    308.5 KB · Views: 93
  • 4FCF0157-ADBD-4CFC-BDD0-2889DC4EBB27.jpeg
    4FCF0157-ADBD-4CFC-BDD0-2889DC4EBB27.jpeg
    229.8 KB · Views: 92

Emeral

Sep 16, 2021
Parrots
Hanhs Macaw
This has detailed observations with limping explanations....

And cuttlefish bone for calcium supplements

Hope this helps

OP
CricketIRN

CricketIRN

Sep 1, 2021
Parrots
This has detailed observations with limping explanations....

And cuttlefish bone for calcium supplements

Hope this helps
Thank you for the articles I do have a cuttlebone in her cage sometimes and other times I have a mineral rock which she massacres in a day so I do prefer to sprinkle some over her food.

Emeral

Sep 16, 2021
Parrots
Hanhs Macaw
I am so glad you are here to find out how to help with her limping. And may be it is nothing serious, just a sore feet? If it is sore feet, it will be easy to remedy.

Recently, I read this......

"Perches that vary in size, provide more exercise opportunities and allow birds to choose what is comfortable. Birds can get sore feet if their perch diameter is the same all of the time because they are constantly putting pressure on the same areas on the bottom of their feet."

All the details are here.....

Most Reactions

Latest posts