Leggless Quaker and Parrotlet?

NolegsPeach

Oct 25, 2023
Parrots
Quaker parrot
Hello! I currently have one special needs Quaker parrot, Peaches. Her legs were chewed off by her parents when she was a baby and I got her from a rescue. Sheā€™s about 8 months old and sheā€™s so sweet! I bring her with me to work so she gets lots of attention and love throughout the day. But sheā€™s been quite talkative and Iā€™m a science teacher. I fear Iā€™ll have to leave her at home due to her noise. I hate leaving her at home because my husband usually puts her in the garage (itā€™s heated and has ac) since she gets loud when heā€™s trying to work. Iā€™ve been thinking about getting her a friend. I would DEFINITELY keep them in separate cages because I donā€™t think I could ever feel comfortable with Peaches being with another bird alone. Just in case the other bird and her get into a squabble and Peaches can get away or defend herself properly. The new bird would be in a separate cage, but where they can see each other and keep each other company when Iā€™m not home. My question isā€¦ does it matter what kind of ā€œneighbor birdā€ I get? I should note that I am 100% would want this second bird for me not just Peaches. Iā€™m not getting another bird for my bird.

I used to have parrotlets and I LOVE them. I wouldnā€™t mind getting another but would this be a good potential neighbor for my Peaches? I know itā€™s never a guaranteed they would get along ever and Peaches could hurt the parrotlet. Peaches canā€™t walk due to having no legs and she canā€™t fly- at least not well. Her wings are also deformed due to the injuries with her parents. So itā€™s not like Peaches could get to the parrotlet without my help. Can anyone advise? Should I get another Quaker?
Part of me thinks a smaller bird may be better for peaches so the smaller bird canā€™t hurt peaches severely if it decided to go at her. I know it still could and they would never be out together unsupervised but in hindsight, parrotlet would do less damage than a Quaker in the amount of time it would take me to break them up.

Thank you for any advise!!

Attachments

• IMG_7445.jpeg
    IMG_7445.jpeg
    86.4 KB · Views: 25

Jcas

Supporting Member
Parrot of the Month šŸ†
Jan 9, 2023
Parrots
Quaker, 2 budgies
Aww so cute šŸ„°. Personally , I think a smaller bird would be better. I donā€™t know much about parrotlets but my Quaker seems to enjoy watching my two budgies fly around ( he never really learned how to fly!). JJ seems to prefer human company but having the budgies around makes me feel better when I have to be gone. At least heā€™s not alone.

hiriki

Oct 19, 2014
Chicago, IL
Parrots
(Birdie - Jenday Conure)
(Kiwi - Green Cheek Conure)
(Elby - Lovebird)
(Gorou & Liberty - Ringneck Doves)
I think before adopting another bird you should focus on logistics here with other people in the home, re: your husband who keeps putting Peaches in the garage. Is he willing to add another bird to the household? Is he just going to put them both in the garage during the day? Are there steps you can take to make him coexist with Peaches in the house first before complicating the situation with another bird?

Meshari220

Oct 25, 2023
Parrots
I have a male umbrella cockatoo named Mesha.
I have an umbrella cockatoo that I've had 18 years. he's a rescue. I rescued a cockatiel about 6 years ago & obviously they aren't in the same cage but they've kept each other company when I go to work however my suggestion to you would be to get a bird the same size or smaller considering the condition of peaches so she hopefully won't feel intimidated by the other bird & you also have to consider the fact that you cannot pay more attention to one than the other. That being said I hope & pray the best for you & peaches & would love to hear an update no matter what you decide.

OP
NolegsPeach

NolegsPeach

Oct 25, 2023
Parrots
Quaker parrot
Aww so cute šŸ„°. Personally , I think a smaller bird would be better. I donā€™t know much about parrotlets but my Quaker seems to enjoy watching my two budgies fly around ( he never really learned how to fly!). JJ seems to prefer human company but having the budgies around makes me feel better when I have to be gone. At least heā€™s not alone.
thank you for your advise! I love that your Quaker like to watch your budgies šŸ„°! I wonder if Peaches would like that too!

OP
NolegsPeach

NolegsPeach

Oct 25, 2023
Parrots
Quaker parrot
I think before adopting another bird you should focus on logistics here with other people in the home, re: your husband who keeps putting Peaches in the garage. Is he willing to add another bird to the household? Is he just going to put them both in the garage during the day? Are there steps you can take to make him coexist with Peaches in the house first before complicating the situation with another bird?
I probably should have just said ā€œputs her in the other roomā€ when heā€™s working- instead of garage. We converted our garage into our animal room and installed insulation on the door, and vents for circulation/ac/heat. Itā€™s considered another room now I guess, not a garage. We have our hedgehogs and reptiles in there. I understand him needing to move her when heā€™s on a conference call and peaches trying to chime in on the call lol! He works from home so I have to accommodate that. He canā€™t have peaches screaming in the background of his calls lol šŸ˜…! He does not mind getting another bird especially if it means Peaches isnā€™t alone when I canā€™t bring her with me to work. He wants her to be happy too šŸ˜Š!

OP
NolegsPeach

NolegsPeach

Oct 25, 2023
Parrots
Quaker parrot
Do yā€™all think a smaller bird would be best for her? Since she doesnā€™t have a tail sheā€™s basically the size of chubby parrotlet lol! The rescue I got her from said get a Quaker, conure or cockatiel. And said that a parrotlet is too small. But I donā€™t knowā€¦ so hard to decide šŸ„ŗ

hiriki

Oct 19, 2014
Chicago, IL
Parrots
(Birdie - Jenday Conure)
(Kiwi - Green Cheek Conure)
(Elby - Lovebird)
(Gorou & Liberty - Ringneck Doves)
Thanks for clearing up the husband situation! Honestly from the original post it sounded kind of like your husband didn't want a bird and I was like oh my, we've got some housemate issues here haha.

I think you should get the bird you want first and foremost, in terms of size I would focus on beak size before physical body size and I think a cockatiel would be a good option with that metric. Parrotlets have relatively large beaks compared to their body size right? But anyway, I don't think a cockatiel would be any more appropriate for your quaker than a parrotlet would, considering they're going to be housed separately and--if we're honest--you could spend days and days picking the "ideal bird" for Peaches and they still might not get along. So if YOU want a parrotlet I think that's the best option imo. Good luck deciding ā¤ļø

Owlet

Oct 27, 2016
Colorado
Parrots
Lincoln (Eclectus), Apollo (Cockatiel), Aster (GCC)
Hm, I'd actually probably recommend against getting another bird in this situation. Right now Peaches has NO way of getting away from a 2nd bird if they were to squabble. Even the best of friends fight sometimes and this hold true in birds. Birds in giant flocks still fight sometimes but they are able to get away from each other if they need space. You'd need to monitor them pretty much constantly when they're out of the cage and be pretty ontop of seperating them if need be. Which I don't know how well that can happen while you're teaching a class. There's also that if you continue to bring them both to work with you and they're in separate cages, that may make them vocalize more while interacting with each other between cages.

Tbh I would probably just work on giving Peaches an outlet for her energy while shes at work with you. Provide her with stimulating toys, id recommend any kind of foraging toy. You can even use dog/cat puzzle toys. So instead of vocalizing, her focus would be on getting treats/food from these toys. Maybe do some additional training with her during your free time in-between classes at work and try to train out the frequent vocalization.

4 way borbs

Sep 26, 2023
Media
Waukee Iowa USA
Parrots
Smokey | Athracite parakeet
Sky | cobalt, albino, yellow parakeet
Andy | Green texas clearwater
before i adopted Sky I did research for a month for prices, places, anything to know about second birbs, ect ect ect

Most Reactions

Latest posts