Legumes and Lentils

MintyMofoe

Jan 27, 2017
Canada
Parrots
Mace (African Grey)
Hello, I am new to this Forum so sorry if this has been asked already.

I am wondering if there are any Legumes or Lentils that's are not okay to feed parrots? I have been googling a bit and it seems a bit controversial for some legumes and lentils.

Also, do all legumes and lentils have the ability to "sprout"? I am currently trying to sprout Kidney Beans, Brown Legumes and Chickpeas.

Clearly I am new to lentils and legumes so I've no idea what I'm doing, haha. :p

GaleriaGila

Parrot of the Month 🏆
May 14, 2016
Cleveland area
Parrots
The Rickeybird, 38-year-old Patagonian Conure
Glad you're here! Welcome.
I feed the Rb all the beans we eat (pintos, green, lima, black-eyed)... when we eat them... a couple of times a seek or so...
In addition to the staple of Harrison's pellets and daily varied fresh produce...

P.S.
While you're having a look around, you can take any issue or topic which interests you, use the Search Tab and then read about it. It's a really good engine.

plumsmum2005

Nov 18, 2015
England, UK
Parrots
Lou, Ruby, and Sonu.
Fly free Plum, my gorgeous boy.
Hi, think you will find this invaluable, take some time as there are loads of links within.

http://www.parrotforums.com/parrot-...afe-fresh-foods-toxic-food-lists-sprouts.html

Definitely drop the kidney beans.

Borrowed from MonicaMc, with thanks:-
CAUTION: Large beans: Anasazi, Black, Fava, Kidney, Lima, Navy, Pinto, Soy, are not suggested for sprouting. These legumes can cause toxicity and remain difficult to digest. Their raw flavor is also very bad. If choose to serve these to your bird they MUST be soaked for a minimum of 8 hours, water drained and beans rinsed well, and then cooked by bringing them to a full boil, boiling uncovered for 10 minutes, covered and simmered for another 20 minutes.

Last edited:

Flboy

Dec 28, 2014
Greater Orlando area, Florida
Parrots
JoJo, 'Special' GCC, Bongo, Cinnamon GCC(wife's)
Hi, think you will find this invaluable, take some time as there are loads of links within.

http://www.parrotforums.com/parrot-...afe-fresh-foods-toxic-food-lists-sprouts.html

Definitely drop the kidney beans.

Borrowed from MonicaMc, with thanks:-
CAUTION: Large beans: Anasazi, Black, Fava, Kidney, Lima, Navy, Pinto, Soy, are not suggested for sprouting. These legumes can cause toxicity and remain difficult to digest. Their raw flavor is also very bad. If choose to serve these to your bird they MUST be soaked for a minimum of 8 hours, water drained and beans rinsed well, and then cooked by bringing them to a full boil, boiling uncovered for 10 minutes, covered and simmered for another 20 minutes.
Absolutely! Do Not sprout kidney beans! I have twice sickened the whole family by using a slow cooker at too low of a temperature! They cooked, but still had the toxin.
"Causes of red kidney bean poisoning
The main cause is a toxin called ‘phytohaemagglutinin’ or kidney bean lectin. This is a sugar based protein (glycoprotein) which is found in many types of beans which includes cannellini beans and broad beans."
Red kidney bean toxins - A guide to Food poisoning

Kentuckienne

Supporting Vendor
Oct 9, 2016
Middle of nowhere (kentuckianna)
Parrots
Roommates include Gus, Blue and gold macaw rescue and Coco, secondhand amazon
Here is where my laziness comes in handy. I love canned beans. I can still eat healthy if I don't have three hours! Mixing different types of canned beans and freezing in small portions is an effortless way to provide these healthy foods to the fids. Gus still won't eat veggies but loves canned beans. I wash off the goop for him to remove salt, but leave it in if you are eating the beans yourself - it's FLAVOR.

Flboy

Dec 28, 2014
Greater Orlando area, Florida
Parrots
JoJo, 'Special' GCC, Bongo, Cinnamon GCC(wife's)
Here is where my laziness comes in handy. I love canned beans. I can still eat healthy if I don't have three hours! Mixing different types of canned beans and freezing in small portions is an effortless way to provide these healthy foods to the fids. Gus still won't eat veggies but loves canned beans. I wash off the goop for him to remove salt, but leave it in if you are eating the beans yourself - it's FLAVOR.

Yep, agree! I am old school, but taste testing panels will quite often pick Goya canned beans over cooking dried beans!

plumsmum2005

Nov 18, 2015
England, UK
Parrots
Lou, Ruby, and Sonu.

Oh no it doesn't! :eek:
"Rinsing the beans after you've drained them only reduces the sodium content by as much as 41 percent"
May result in a quick trip to the AV!

Sodium (salt) is a necessity in all living creatures. However, too much salt can bring on dehydration and kidney dysfunction. The different foods we eat contains both salts and sugars naturally. It is unnecessary and unsafe to add these ingredients to our bird’s foods.

Last edited:

Kentuckienne

Supporting Vendor
Oct 9, 2016
Middle of nowhere (kentuckianna)
Parrots
Roommates include Gus, Blue and gold macaw rescue and Coco, secondhand amazon

Oh no it doesn't! :eek:
"Rinsing the beans after you've drained them only reduces the sodium content by as much as 41 percent"
May result in a quick trip to the AV!

Well ... Garbanzos, for example in this study, had 494 mg per half cup WITH liquid, 305 mg per half cup drained, and 261 mg per half cup drained and rinsed one time. I don't have the volume of a single chickpea, but and a half cup is about 120 grams, say I really went overboard and gave 1/8 cup, that would be about 76 mg sodium. But is that too much? I'm looking for RDAs for parrots...I see that Harrison's adds salt to their pellets, Macaw seek out licks for salt, so is this amount dangerous or not? Maybe someone has references?

https://www.bushbeans.com/docs/reduced_sodium_article.pdf

plumsmum2005

Nov 18, 2015
England, UK
Parrots
Lou, Ruby, and Sonu.
Why is it a question of being right all the time? As far a my parrot goes if it is questionable and raises a red flag it doesn't get passed as OK. OK?

Sodium (salt) is a necessity in all living creatures. However, too much salt can bring on dehydration and kidney dysfunction. The different foods we eat contains both salts and sugars naturally. It is unnecessary and unsafe to add these ingredients to our bird’s foods.

Most Reactions

Latest posts