onamom

Staff member
Super Moderator
Parrot of the Month šŸ†
May 9, 2022
Indiana, USA
Parrots
Ona: Dilute Green Cheek Conure
Ona just returned from the vet and they mentioned they observed her showing some hormonal behavior. I asked for specifics but all it was described as is a ā€œcome hitherā€ look whatever that means. They gave me a handout that recommends not touching your bird much at all and only touching the head if anything.

Ona is turning nine months old now. I never pet her anywhere except for her head and cheeks (very occasionally her tummy) BUT I do snuggle with her often. Her favorite snuggle pose:

85EB1588-179E-4B36-B63E-D0E7565AEFC6.jpeg

My hand is wrapped around her back but no stroking except on her head. I often will sit with her like this for half an hour or sometimes more. Do I need to stop holding her like this? :(

As far as any hormonal behavior Iā€™ve seen at home - very occasionally she does try to regurgitate (nothing ever comes up) but thatā€™s about all Iā€™ve seen. She does want to be held or perched on my hand a lot.

HeatherG

Apr 25, 2020
You probably DO need to stop holding her like that if sheā€™s being flirty.

This is one of the times itā€™s easier to have a boy bird than a girl bird. If you are too cuddly with a boy, all you have to deal with is horny or naughty. With a girl, you have the whole egg problem.

When Lucy had her egg and liver issue, they told me not to touch her at all except for her head. But she also had Lupron injections.

But otherwise Ona is fine? No illness just maybe coming of age?

(Edit. Darn auto spell)

Last edited:
OP
onamom

onamom

Staff member
Super Moderator
Parrot of the Month šŸ†
May 9, 2022
Indiana, USA
Parrots
You probably DO need to stop holding her like that if sheā€™s being flirty.

This is one of the times itā€™s easier to have a boy bird than a girl bird. If you are too cuddly with a boy, all you have to de add l with is honey or naughty. With a girl, you have the whole egg problem.

When Lucy had her egg and liver issue, they told me not to touch her at all except for her head. But she also had Lupron injections.

But otherwise Ona is fine? No illness just maybe coming of age?
She is in great shape! Nothing wrong with her at all. Sheā€™s sleepy from the vet but happy to be home. I may try focusing more on letting her perch on my finger with scritches and a little less of the hand wrap. Oh, she does love it though. I donā€™t completely agree with my vetā€™s handout that says to ideally avoid touching your bird - especially since she is my only bird it seems crazy to suggest she never has any touch. Iā€™m curious to see how she does come spring and her 1 year birthday.

OP
onamom

onamom

Staff member
Super Moderator
Parrot of the Month šŸ†
May 9, 2022
Indiana, USA
Parrots
For anyone else looking for advice on Conure cuddling and managing hormones, I found this extremely helpful video:

I love his advice here. Iā€™ve already started cuddling Ona with the ā€œsideā€ method instead of the back wrap. She still loves it - as long as sheā€™s getting cuddles sheā€™s happy and this way we can better manage hormones.

Last edited:

HeatherG

Apr 25, 2020
For anyone else looking for advice on Conure cuddling and managing hormones, I found this extremely helpful video:

I love his advice here. Iā€™ve already started cuddling Ona with the ā€œsideā€ method instead of the back wrap. She still loves it - as long as sheā€™s getting cuddles sheā€™s happy and this way we can better manage hormones.
Willow presses against my neck or face while I scritch his head and neck.

bill_e

Supporting Member
Parrot of the Month šŸ†
Dec 24, 2015
New Hampshire
Parrots
Nike a Hawk Head Parrot (Deroptyus accipitrinus)
This is not a recommendation, just my experience.
I pretty much ignore all the recommendations with the exception of sleep period and exercize. Every morning I take her out of her sleep cage and walk her to the day cage while kissing and zerbert-ing (is that a word?) her back. I pet and scratch her (boy though) all over, cuddle her, clasp my hand around her, spend a lot of time kissing and making noises at her nose... You name, it I do it. Until she was flighted, she would have ocassional hormonal periods but once she started having the freedom to exercise, all of that hormonal stuff ended.... Or maybe it's because I'm getting older and I'm not attractive to her anymore :)

OP
onamom

onamom

Staff member
Super Moderator
Parrot of the Month šŸ†
May 9, 2022
Indiana, USA
Parrots
This is not a recommendation, just my experience.
I pretty much ignore all the recommendations with the exception of sleep period and exercize. Every morning I take her out of her sleep cage and walk her to the day cage while kissing and zerbert-ing (is that a word?) her back. I pet and scratch her (boy though) all over, cuddle her, clasp my hand around her, spend a lot of time kissing and making noises at her nose... You name, it I do it. Until she was flighted, she would have ocassional hormonal periods but once she started having the freedom to exercise, all of that hormonal stuff ended.... Or maybe it's because I'm getting older and I'm not attractive to her anymore :)
I think it definitely depends on the bird! Sounds like yours does ok with all sorts of cuddles šŸ„° My Ona is just now coming into adulthood so Iā€™m being cautious with her until I know more about how she reacts come hormone season.

Her new favorite snuggle pose is perched on one finger, my hand cupped to her side, fingers in front and she rests her beak between two of my fingers. I canā€™t get a pic because it takes two hands!

Last edited:

Most Reactions

Latest posts