Lethargic Parrot

natesch2005

May 5, 2014
Around a week ago my Quaker parrot Zazu (I will refer to him as a "he" but I do not know his gender) ate some of my blue cheese dressing when I wasn't looking and threw up a lot that night. My sister came over the next day on vacation with her small 4.5 lb Yorkypoo dog (she is still here). I wasn't sure how well Zazu would react to such an energetic dog but he took it better than I anticipated. I will also add my sister doesn't really respect keeping perfumes etc away from Zazu, but the vet I saw didn't see any signs of respiratory distress.

Over the next 2 days I observed him being fluffed up slightly more than normal, and very slight bobbing of his tail in rhythm with his breathing (although I only observed this twice, and it certainly was not always noticeable). He was also very slightly lethargic, but had a good appetite with his weight remaining within the usual parameters. I made an appointment with the Burloak Animal Hospital (35 min drive, and driving is stressful for Zazu) for Saturday at 2pm(July 22). On Friday and Saturday before seeing the vet he seemed to be back to normal. The vet did a physical and found nothing wrong, so proceeded to do a crop swab and found small amounts of bacteria which she said is not uncommon. Zazu was prescribed baytril (antibacterial medication) as a precaution for 14 days. We left it at that and I would continue to monitor Zazu's health in case he took a turn for the worse. I must mention after they brought him back from the crop swab he seemed to be devoid of energy and extremely reluctant to get off my shoulder.

Ever since the vet exam he has been quite lethargic, content to just sit around, puffed up. he still eats and has not lost weight. His feces seem normal, although once in a while his urine will be more yellow, but thats infrequent and certainly not present in every poop. In the last few hours I haven't seen him drink, although he has been eating a lot of peas, so perhaps the high water content is enough for the moment. His eyes look clear, and except for his lack of energy and being fluffed up, I wouldn't think he was feeling ill. Although, he hasn't been talking/singing much since coming back from the vet.

The vet clinic suggested further testing at guelph's vet clinic for an exam, blood work and CT scan. I'm uncertain what to do as he seemed to get worse after the first vet exam... whether it was just the stress from driving or the exam. Guelph's vet clinic is 40 minutes away.. although in his current lethargic condition perhaps he wouldn't stress so much over the drive. As a student I don't have $800 to throw around, but if it will help him / find a diagnosis I will certainly spend the money.

Any help or insight will be greatly appreciated. I have attached a few images of him.

Thanks,

Attachments

• IMG_20170723_144034.jpg
    IMG_20170723_144034.jpg
    91.1 KB · Views: 202
  • IMG_20170723_191431_0.jpg
    IMG_20170723_191431_0.jpg
    89.1 KB · Views: 211
OP
N

natesch2005

May 5, 2014
PS. He is 115g. The vet said he is slightly overweight, but only by a few grams and shouldn't be much cause for concern. Zazu is also fully flighted.

SailBoat

Supporting Member
Jul 10, 2015
Western, Michigan
Parrots
DYH Amazon
Time to send your Sister, her perfumes and her dog Home! Vacation at your home is over for her!

With great hope, it is likely that your Parrot is suffering from a lack of Sleep and likely Stressed-out! And again, with great hope, some much needed sleep and his comfort of a home without your Sister and all her stuff will have 'him' feeling better!

The medication should help avoid the onset of an illness!

Hope this works! Sorry for your Sister, but she seems more into herself then caring about your home rules!

LordTriggs

May 11, 2017
Surrey, UK
Parrots
Rio (Yellow sided conure) sadly no longer with us
exactly what Sailboat said

if it's warm enough maybe bring Zazu outside in his cage with the back half of the cage covered so he can get some fresh air and a bit of sun, also open up the windows in the house to let the performe clear out and get replaced with some fresh air. That'll help clear out any perfume in him and the sun should be nice and help him perk up a bit, maybe a couple early nights too just to help him relax.

plumsmum2005

Nov 18, 2015
England, UK
Parrots
Lou, Ruby, and Sonu.
Fly free Plum, my gorgeous boy.
Yes definitely go with what has been said before. I cannot imagine that perfume is doing her dogs lungs much good btw? I could not trust such a selfish person to be around my parrot. What if she decides to cook and accidentally uses a Teflon pan, just for example. She will not care for the important rules we live our lives by to protect our birds.

Hoping Zazu is better with a bit of rest and his meds.

OP
N

natesch2005

May 5, 2014
Thanks so much everyone! He got a bunch of fresh air and an undisturbed nights rest after putting him to be early. This morning he looks like a million bucks and is back to his energetic self! Thanks for all the help and quick responses ~ I really appreciate it!

Most Reactions

Latest posts