Let's get distracted by something uplifting! Crowdsource budgie breeding!

bug_n_flock

Jan 2, 2018
Isolated Holler in the Appalachian Wilderness
Parrots
B&G Macaw, Galah, 5 cockatiels, 50 billion and a half budgies. We breed and do rescue. Too many to list each individual's name and age etc, but they are each individuals and loved dearly.
I can't do much to help everyone stuck home due to the virus, but I can do this! We had been so busy we had never paired up any budgies for this breeding season! Considering all, we will only breed a very few birds this year. A number we can comfortably absorb into our flock, as we won't be risking the people or the birds by attempting to sell any babies for the forseeable future.

Many in the flock are not elligable for pairing up this year. Either they are too young(around a year old), or they are from that recent batch of rescues and need until next year or later. Also the pair that last year raised 13 babies we want to give a break to. So with all of that in mind, the birds elligable for pairing up this year are:

Mitsy (mother of Hima, carries recessive pied. Has been living with a young blue male who is just too immature and annoys her lol)

Jinx (Hima's daddy. A georgeous yf boy, he has been rooming with our mature albino hen. Mitsy and Jinx were a good enough pair, and I would not be opposed to pairing them up again, but Mitsy started getting a little testy with Jinx and they had a few domestic incidents with her getting a little too rough with him so ultimately I split them up when they weaned the last babies.)

The Supreme One (mature albino hen, has never bred. She rejected her partner last year(Blue Bird). Has been rooming with Jinx, but I have not observed them enough to know if they are a good match)

Blue Bird (has also never bred. Paired him up with The Supreme One last year, but they were not a good pair and then he ended up breaking his tibiotarsus and needed rest and a small cage while he recovered)

Sally (has never bred. Last year we didn't have a male for her so she just got to hang out and be a bird. She has been rooming with TinyFace since he was about 3 months old, and they honestly seem like a good pair. They paired up on their own. They were in adjacent cages and obviously wanted to be roomies so we eventually gave in and put them together. They really do seem to be a good match.)

TinyFace (Hima's full blooded, same clutch brother. He may be a bit young to breed, but willing to give him a shot. He is about 15 months old.)

So I guess, the first step is would you guys like to follow along with a clutch or two of budgies? The babies will at least be supplementally hand fed, and they will be raised as pets in our home.

And if you want to follow along on this thread, what are your thoughts on who to try and pair with whom?

SailBoat

Supporting Member
Jul 10, 2015
Western, Michigan
Parrots
DYH Amazon
Truly enjoyed the distraction!!!
Well needed when the World around us is spinning with such a verbosity.
Its the process of needing to change your Vantage point from time to time to save one's sanity...
Thank You!

Cardinal

Jul 1, 2014
India
Parrots
Currently I have none, but I have the capacity to adopt a minimum and maximum of two budgies - preferably a bonded pair or two males.
OP
bug_n_flock

bug_n_flock

Jan 2, 2018
Isolated Holler in the Appalachian Wilderness
Parrots
B&G Macaw, Galah, 5 cockatiels, 50 billion and a half budgies. We breed and do rescue. Too many to list each individual's name and age etc, but they are each individuals and loved dearly.
Oh, I completely agree, Cardinal! I had never had "show type" birds until we took in those rescue birds. Amung them were 2 "english type" birds: a pure english hen, and a half english hen. The half english hen prolapsed an egg and passed away not long after we took in the birds. The full English hen is in hospice care here. She has a slow growing tumor. Besides the health issues, I just don't really like the way the English show-type birds look.

lollipoppy

Mar 10, 2020
Canada
Parrots
Mama to Milo the Pineapple X Cinnamon GCC
I love this distraction, and I want to follow along! Sounds great. I am not familiar with breeding birds so I won't try to offer knowledge, but this will be an enjoyable experience to learn about and explore with my kiddo! :)

Noahs_Birds

Parrot of the Month 🏆
Oct 24, 2019
Toowoomba/Highfields, QLD, Australia
Parrots
Yellow Sided GCC's, Rosa Bourkes Parrots, Full Red Fronted Turqoisine Parrots, Quaker Parrots 'Scomo PM' 'Jenny PM's wife', PLUS: Rare Finches, Doves and Quail
Ooooooh I love pairing up birds for the breeding season, with now I own over 40 birds (mainly finches), Its a yearly event!

I have a good mate of mine not far from where I live, and he has a HUGE show budgie breeding setup, and bred over 500!!! Budgies last year, an amazing feat

What I have learnt from many breeders is to put all the birds together, and let them pick out their mates and you can't go wrong

Noahs_Birds

Parrot of the Month 🏆
Oct 24, 2019
Parrots
Yellow Sided GCC's, Rosa Bourkes Parrots, Full Red Fronted Turqoisine Parrots, Quaker Parrots 'Scomo PM' 'Jenny PM's wife', PLUS: Rare Finches, Doves and Quail
Don't know if this is relevant but I think it will be worthwhile to pursue a goal similar to this

https://budgerigars.wordpress.com/2008/11/27/the-wild-budgerigar-melopsittacus-undulatus/

Producing a budgerigar as close to the Wild type as possible- not so much in color but in body size and plumage markings.

:greenyellow::blue2::greenyellow:

I agree mate, we do need to preserve our wild type birds, and this is a popular topic around avicultural circles, and a very relevant topic it is

I'm working on Pure Normal Gouldians, Ruddies and King Quails, which are now hard to get in the pure normal forms

Laurasea

Aug 2, 2018
USA
Parrots
Full house
I like the size of English budgies but the ones that are crossed and don't have crazy feathers.

Cardinal

Jul 1, 2014
India
Parrots
Currently I have none, but I have the capacity to adopt a minimum and maximum of two budgies - preferably a bonded pair or two males.
Don't know if this is relevant but I think it will be worthwhile to pursue a goal similar to this

https://budgerigars.wordpress.com/2008/11/27/the-wild-budgerigar-melopsittacus-undulatus/

Producing a budgerigar as close to the Wild type as possible- not so much in color but in body size and plumage markings.

I agree mate, we do need to preserve our wild type birds, and this is a popular topic around avicultural circles, and a very relevant topic it is

I'm working on Pure Normal Gouldians, Ruddies and King Quails, which are now hard to get in the pure normal forms

Agree with you on the Wild Gouldians- especially the Black headed and Redheaded forms. The most beautiful birds in the world. Don't know about what Ruddies are? Will google king quails- not so much into quails.

Yes! Another species where the wild type has almost disappeared are the Yellow Collared Lovebirds or the Masked Lovebrids. A breeder- Darren Montstein from your country Australia has resolved to only breed the wild types and not breed any color mutations. In fact this forum s icon for lovebird :rainbow1: sadly resembles a Fischers-Masked hybrid.
Enclosing the magazine clip.

Attachments

• YellowCollared:BM_lovebird_Darren_Monstein _resized.jpg
    YellowCollared:BM_lovebird_Darren_Monstein _resized.jpg
    44.9 KB · Views: 101

Noahs_Birds

Parrot of the Month 🏆
Oct 24, 2019
Parrots

Agree with you on the Wild Gouldians- especially the Black headed and Redheaded forms. The most beautiful birds in the world. Don't know about what Ruddies are? Will google king quails- not so much into quails.

Yes! Another species where the wild type has almost disappeared are the Yellow Collared Lovebirds or the Masked Lovebrids. A breeder- Darren Montstein from your country Australia has resolved to only breed the wild types and not breed any color mutations. In fact this forum s icon for lovebird :rainbow1: sadly resembles a Fischers-Masked hybrid.
Enclosing the magazine clip.

Yeah most definately
Ruddies is an Aussie term for African Red Billed firefinch, and pure normals are extremely hard to get nowadays:
https://www.google.com.au/search?q=...ECBcQAw&biw=1880&bih=970#imgrc=TwqMl5Fx-oOpbM

I have seen a few people working on the Black Masked Lovebirds and Fischers lovebirds in the pure normal form, and I extremely congratulate them on their efforts

Most Reactions

Latest posts