Levi Had a Terrible Thanksgiving!

SharonC

May 26, 2010
....and I'm so upset, I'm nauseous!

We went to my parents on Friday, and returned today. Since the birds were only alone for one full day, I left the little guys here, and took only Fred with me. Normally I take everyone....

We returned this afternoon to find Levi screaming, sitting on the stairs. He got out of his cage!!! Judging by the poop on the floor, and how hungry and thirsty he was, I'd say he had been without food and water for quite awhile. The little door that is used to insert the food dish was open. I double checked all cages before I left to reassure myself that there was lots of food and water for them...I just don't understand how he got out...Once he was out, he couldn't get back in, as his door was firmly closed. I don't even think he could get to the door, as he's not flighted.

I fed and watered him...and then snuggled him. He's very tired, now. His poop was black, but seems to have returned to normal...

I hope he's going to be OK...

greycloud

Mar 21, 2010
Baltimore, MD
Parrots
Sammy-Umbrella Too-rescued,
Dexter-CAG-rehomed handicapped,
Sterling-CAG-rehomed retired breeder.
Sunshine-12 yo CAG-adopted
Poor baby! He must have been very frightened. I would just keep an eye on those poops. You might want to give him Pedialyte for a few days to help get things back in order.

Pheonix Rising

Oct 9, 2010
New Zealand
Parrots
Pheonix-Alexandrine parrot
1 September 2010
mikki- barrarand x king parrot
21yrs young ;)
O dear the poor wee chap glad he is ok and hasn't injured himself etc
I suggest to try get extra fluids into him and some purred apple ( baby food is great ) as it will help get his system moving again

I suggest cable ties on all doors next time

OP
SharonC

SharonC

May 26, 2010
He seems ok this morning! Poop looks normal...I will give extra apple today. Thanks!

antoinette

Supporting Member
Jul 6, 2009
Media
Sunny South Africa !!!
Parrots
African "Grey"
"Mishka"
Male
7 Years old
My heart stopped when I was reading Levi's terrible episode.
Sharon you must have got such a fright, thank goodness Levi is okay.
Thank God you returned home when you did.........
Please be careful even when using cable ties. We have tried many different ones with Mishka, and she still manages to get them loose.
No matter how tight, different angles etc, she gets them off.

Last edited:

wildheart

Banned
Banned
Mar 16, 2010
South Africa
Ag shame poor Levi and you!:eek: He must have been terrified, hopefully he will think twice before he sneaks out again. A person does not feel good for a couple of days after something like this happened.

I am just glad he is ok.;)

bogo1

Jun 22, 2010
Media
Albums
Missouri
Parrots
Sam (GCC)
Gem (CBC)
Merry and Teechka (parakeets)
and non FIDS:
Harvey and Jed (dogs) Jolte and Churney (cats) Twister and Mac (horses) Nikolas and Aleksndr (ducks )
Glad Levi is okay....give yourself some slack as this sounds like some sort of freak cage food door failure. Re cable ties ...my old Sam could undo them without too much trouble no matter how secure. I use circle clamps.

Cowtown

Aug 4, 2010
Media
Great State of Texas
Parrots
Abby 2 year old Female Eclectus & Solomon 12 year old Male CAG & Dickens 4 year old CAG.
I am glad Levi is ok... I bet that was very traumatic for you and him.

OP
SharonC

SharonC

May 26, 2010
He's doing great! Lesson learned....I won't be leaving him again!

Bobby34231

Jun 25, 2010
Media
Albums
Sarasota,Florida
Parrots
Quincy - Blue Throated Macaw, Skittles and Dusty - Rose Breasted Too's,
Joey - Yellow Crown Amazon, Ashley - CAG
Hi Sharon, sorry to hear of Livi's ordeal, but with mama's help seems like the little guy's pretty much back to normal :)

Most Reactions

Latest posts