Life expectancy of hybrid birds

hannah7733

Aug 20, 2019
Norwich, UK
Parrots
Budgies (Puff, Peewee, Pixel and Poochie), Cockatiels (Pippy, Poppy and Petra), Kakariki (Pikachu RIP)
I am aware that hybrid birds tend to have more health problems and shorter life expectancies. How much is the life expectancy typically reduced? Is it something you could estimate based off the parent species eg. species A lifespan typically 25 years x species B typically 15 years = ?

SailBoat

Supporting Member
Jul 10, 2015
Western, Michigan
Parrots
DYH Amazon
The most common problem with hybrid Parrots is the use of interbreeding over multiple generations. The longest lived hybrid are those that are first generation of unrelated parrot species breeding. In this group life expectancy can be near normal, but unforeseen health issues can occur. What those problems will be run the full gamut of possibilities and as a result, hybrid parrots are not well received within the Parrot industry.

Your question regarding loss of life expectancy is concerning as it implies that there would be some level in which reduced live would be executable. As you know, for those of us that have loss Parrots and know the deep heartache of that loss, understand that there is no expectable loss.

There are thousands of Parrots in rescues looking for a forever home. Open your heart to one of these Parrots and allow them to choose you!! They are much better choosing as they are not clouded with a 'want.'

Rozalka

Supporting Member
Parrot of the Month πŸ†
May 23, 2018
Media
Albums
Poland
Parrots
Bourke's parrots, green cheeked conure
The longest lived hybrid are those that are first generation of unrelated parrot species breeding.
The first generation - yes, I agree. But the more related parents species are, they will live longer. The more unrelated species are, the chances of crossing are lower and the babies will be weaker (eg intergenus hybrids will live shorter than other hybrids)

Probably you meant "two different species" instead of "unrelated parrot species"

OP
H

hannah7733

Aug 20, 2019
Norwich, UK
Parrots
Budgies (Puff, Peewee, Pixel and Poochie), Cockatiels (Pippy, Poppy and Petra), Kakariki (Pikachu RIP)
The most common problem with hybrid Parrots is the use of interbreeding over multiple generations. The longest lived hybrid are those that are first generation of unrelated parrot species breeding. In this group life expectancy can be near normal, but unforeseen health issues can occur. What those problems will be run the full gamut of possibilities and as a result, hybrid parrots are not well received within the Parrot industry.

Your question regarding loss of life expectancy is concerning as it implies that there would be some level in which reduced live would be executable. As you know, for those of us that have loss Parrots and know the deep heartache of that loss, understand that there is no expectable loss.

There are thousands of Parrots in rescues looking for a forever home. Open your heart to one of these Parrots and allow them to choose you!! They are much better choosing as they are not clouded with a 'want.'
The reason I'm asking is because I know the heartbreak of loss. I actually had one of my budgies pass not long ago and it was devastating and made worse by the fact she was so young and it was so unexpected.

There is a hybrid bird that needs rehoming - @Rozalka identified him as an Indian Ringneck crossed with an Eastern Rosella. If I am to consider taking him in then I want to go into it with as much knowledge as possible and at least an idea of what to expect. Plus, if I found out that the life expectancy of such a hybrid was reduced to just a few years for example, then I don't think I could do it. I know that some may find that selfish but I love my birds and I'm not sure I could deal with the constant worry in the back of my mind that I could lose him so soon.

Rozalka

Supporting Member
Parrot of the Month πŸ†
May 23, 2018
Media
Albums
Poland
Parrots
Bourke's parrots, green cheeked conure
The reason I'm asking is because I know the heartbreak of loss. I actually had one of my budgies pass not long ago and it was devastating and made worse by the fact she was so young and it was so unexpected.

There is a hybrid bird that needs rehoming - @Rozalka identified him as an Indian Ringneck crossed with an Eastern Rosella. If I am to consider taking him in then I want to go into it with as much knowledge as possible and at least an idea of what to expect. Plus, if I found out that the life expectancy of such a hybrid was reduced to just a few years for example, then I don't think I could do it. I know that some may find that selfish but I love my birds and I'm not sure I could deal with the constant worry in the back of my mind that I could lose him so soon.
It's impossible to cross a rosella with an Indian ringneck. I said with an Australian ringneck.

Most Reactions

Latest posts