Life with Birdnando

fiddlejen

Mar 28, 2019
Media
New England
Parrots
Sunny the Sun Conure (sept '18, gotcha 3/'19). Mr Jefferson Budgie & Mrs Calliope Budgie (albino) (nov'18 & jan'19). Summer 2021 Baby Budgies: Riker (Green); Patchouli, Keye, & Tiny (blue greywings).
Congratulations!

OP
NandyNando

NandyNando

Jul 11, 2020
Virginia, USA
Parrots
Fernando: Greenwing Macaw
Long overdue update: Fernando is still with us, still being a bird butt. He's getting a little better at letting people other than my mom hold him, and he LOVES showing off in front of strangers by flapping his wings.

OP
NandyNando

NandyNando

Jul 11, 2020
Virginia, USA
Parrots
Oh this absolute turd of a bird. He thinks it's HILARIOUS to chase me. And no, he isn't bluffing (yes, I did find out the hard way). Aren't parrots supposed to be herbivores??

Scott

Supporting Member
Aug 21, 2010
San Diego, California USA, Earth, Milky Way Galaxy
Parrots
Goffins: Gabby, Abby, Squeaky, Peanut, Popcorn / Citron: Alice / Eclectus: Angel /Timneh Grey: ET / Blue Fronted Amazon: Gonzo /

RIP Gandalf and Big Bird, you are missed.
Oh this absolute turd of a bird. He thinks it's HILARIOUS to chase me. And no, he isn't bluffing (yes, I did find out the hard way). Aren't parrots supposed to be herbivores??

I acquired my Green Wing "Rocky" from a family about to be deployed overseas. They delivered him to my home and uncaged to allow exploration. We've obviously met before, but while I'm sitting entertaining his soon to be former parronts, Rocky makes a bee-line for my right ankle and takes a gentle bite. First and last time he ever bit, but there sure was a lot of bluffing over the years!

OP
NandyNando

NandyNando

Jul 11, 2020
Virginia, USA
Parrots
Well, we've accidentally taught Fernando a couple of "tricks". Fernando will now fly to his cage by simply saying "Get on your cage" and touching a blanket with flamingos on it (yes, it absolutely HAS to be this blanket). I'm starting to "target" him into the cage by using the handle of a swiffer sweeper that he TOTALLY did not break or anything. At first he was weary of it, but now he knows that he gets an animal cracker whenever he follows it.

My mom is able to get him to stretch out his wings on command. He looks like an angel when he's got them fully spread out, and he likes to show his big wings off by gently flapping them.

Fernando is starting to respect me more and more, although it's definitely a work in progress. He tried to bite my Nana and instead got a beakful of paper towel tube. The only injuries sustained were to his dignity, but he has not once been ugly to her ever since and has even willingly stepped up on her and flapped his wings! I think Fernando and I are both learning that if we want to be friends, we have to respect each other. I swear, he's just like the little brother I never had.

Scott

Supporting Member
Aug 21, 2010
Parrots
Goffins: Gabby, Abby, Squeaky, Peanut, Popcorn / Citron: Alice / Eclectus: Angel /Timneh Grey: ET / Blue Fronted Amazon: Gonzo /

Lovely update, Fernando is exceptional! Greenwings are my absolute favorite macaw for all of the reasons you've shared.

OP
NandyNando

NandyNando

Jul 11, 2020
Virginia, USA
Parrots
Well well, long time no see! I think it's safe to say that our relationship has blossomed during these past couple of months. I can now pick him up without having to worry about him biting me (for the most part). He's also cut down on chasing me. He loves to climb up on my bed and look at the computer (supervised, of course). I guess he's figured "well, this girl isn't going anywhere, I might as well be nice to her".

OP
NandyNando

NandyNando

Jul 11, 2020
Virginia, USA
Parrots
Well here's something I DEFINITELY would not have been able to do a couple months ago. It's certainly quite intimidating to have one of the world's largest parrots just chilling on your shoulder, but my confidence has definitely seen a boost. Of course, I'm not gonna try to pick him up like a chicken and kiss his beak, I'll leave that to my mom.

25893d1614268031-life-birdnando-123_1-1-.jpg

Attachments

• 123_1(1).jpg
    123_1(1).jpg
    189.2 KB · Views: 129
Last edited by a moderator:

Scott

Supporting Member
Aug 21, 2010
Parrots

Nothing like a big bird on the shoulder! Body language looks great, you don't appear fearful, he seems content!

OP
NandyNando

NandyNando

Jul 11, 2020
Virginia, USA
Parrots
Haha, it is me again, with a new update on the Birdnando!

Fernando and I both recently celebrated birthdays (29 and 21 respectively) and Fernando has now lived with us for a little over a year.

My confidence and our mutual trust in each other has EXPLODED to the point where Fernando has learned a new trick: give kisses. Fernando will gently extend his head towards your lips, and you give him a kiss right on the beak!

saxguy64

Staff member
Super Moderator
Apr 24, 2018
Media
Albums
Maine, USA
Parrots
Tucker the Red Sided Eclectus
Baxter the YNA
Avery the CAG
Patches the Grand Eclectus, my best friend. RIP
Cuckoo the BFA RIP
Well, happy belated birthday to you both! And... congratulations on some wonderful progress together :)

Thanks for the update. Do you have pictures of that big smoochie baby to share?

Scott

Supporting Member
Aug 21, 2010
Parrots

Belated birthday wishes to you and Fernando! Quite an honor receiving kisses from a macaw! Truthfully, they are less likely to be malicious with huge beak compared with smaller parrots. Still, an outgrowth of mutual trust and love!!

OP
NandyNando

NandyNando

Jul 11, 2020
Virginia, USA
Parrots
WOAH! It's been awhile. I'm in RN school so "free time" is practically nonexistent. On September 27 we celebrated the one year anniversary of Nando bird's adoption. We baked him bird bread muffins and he was a VERY happy boy, tilting his head back and saying "Mmm! Mmmm!"

A couple weeks after that his big boy cage arrived, and when I say big, I mean it! It's about the same length and width of a queen size bed, and he loves it (mainly because he knows that if he climbs up top I can't reach him).

Fernando's newest thing to do is "sing", but, bless his heart, I won't suggest him to quit his day job.

Christmas is coming Fernando, what will Santa bring??

Attachments

• 20210927_202229.jpg
    20210927_202229.jpg
    176.9 KB · Views: 79

Most Reactions

Latest posts