Lincoln will be 19 this year and I am paranoid

Owlet

Oct 27, 2016
Colorado
Parrots
Lincoln (Eclectus), Apollo (Cockatiel), Aster (GCC)
Supposedly. He was 13 when I got him. Or so I was told, there's no way for me to confirm his age or know his hatch date but based off the information I was given, he will be 19. I can't believe it's been 6 years since I got him. I worry about the day I am going to lose him. There's so little information about Eclectus in captivity and how long they live. It's really conflicting but the most common answer I hear is around 30 years in captivity. I worry that I may have less time with him than that since he was on such a poor diet when I got him and I have no idea what his life was like before that. (I got him from a lady who had only had him a couple months, before that is a big fat mystery) He has life long issues due to how he was kept before I got him, like chronic beak growth and chronic feather mutilation. I've given him the best diet I can and lots of opportunity for foraging and enrichment which has helped somewhat for his beak growth but there's still only so much I can do. I've had labwork done on him and his liver appears fine but the chronic beak growth worries me. I can only wonder what irreversible damage he has done due to his lifestyle prior to me getting him.

I love and fully support rescuing birds. But the unknowing of what underlying conditions they have scares me. I've always loved the comfort of getting a baby and knowing where they came from, their parents, their health condition, and what the future will likely look like. I know things happen and even this medically clear baby you got can develop health issues seemingly out of nowhere, but at least you can prevent that as much as possible by getting from a reputable/responsible breeder and then giving them a healthy diet and enrichment. With a rescue, especially an older rescue, you just have no idea. And that scares me. Lincoln could be much older than I think. He could also be much younger. I just don't know. I do know that he will be spending the rest of whatever time he has left with me. I know he will be loved for the rest of his life. I know that when it is his time, that he will know he was loved.

saxguy64

Staff member
Super Moderator
Apr 24, 2018
Media
Albums
Maine, USA
Parrots
Tucker the Red Sided Eclectus
Baxter the YNA
Avery the CAG
Patches the Grand Eclectus, my best friend. RIP
Cuckoo the BFA RIP
I do know that he will be spending the rest of whatever time he has left with me. I know he will be loved for the rest of his life. I know that when it is his time, that he will know he was loved.
And that right there is the best anyone could ask for. The chance for a rescue bird to know he's in his forever home, and have that love and care for the rest of his days. To never have to worry or question his future. That is a beautiful thing. Despite the uncertainty of how long they have, to me it's entirely worth the pain and sadness when that time runs out because they appreciate their new, better life so much. That is a true gift.

Last edited:

kme3388

Sep 17, 2021
Minnesota, USA
Parrots
Eclectus Parrot: Nico (male)
Jenday Conure: Kiwi (female)
Iā€™ve read a lot on the Ekkie lifespan myself. They live anywhere from 30-50 years. 30 in captivity šŸ˜¢. Apparently Ekkieā€™s donā€™t do good in captivity as other medium sized parrots such as the African gray, and amazons.

It is such a wonderful thing that you adopt parrots, and give an older parrot an enriched life.

SailBoat

Supporting Member
Jul 10, 2015
Western, Michigan
Parrots
DYH Amazon
Companion life style with the "PROPER" Diet will assure a maximum life! It is the sad belief that Pellets and/or seed is okay for this group! It has proven to cause early death!

There is no reason that Ekkie lifespan cannot equal the other mid to large Parrot life of Grey's and Amazon's as long as they are provided a Diet that is targeted to their needs!!

We have lived the life of Rescuing Older, Ill, Abused and with a Want to Never suffer another Human Amazons! As so Well Stated Above!! The Joy is knowing that they enjoyed the best of life, filled with love in their final years!! That is truly Heart Warming!! Every moment has been worth it! We would not change one moment!!

Last edited:

kme3388

Sep 17, 2021
Minnesota, USA
Parrots
Companion life style with the "PROPER" Diet will assure a maximum life! It is the sad belief that Pellets and/or seed is okay for this group! It has proven to cause early death!

There is no reason that Ekkie lifespan cannot equal the other mid to large Parrot life of Grey's and Amazon's as long as they are provided a Diet that is targeted to their needs!!

We have lived the life of Rescuing Older, Ill, Abused and with a Want to Never suffer another Human Amazons! As so Well Stated Above!! The Joy is knowing that they enjoyed the best of life, filled with love in their final years!! That is truly Heart Warming!! Every moment has been worth it! We would not change one moment!!
Toucanā€™s are another parrot that donā€™t do well in captivity, and they have a shortened lifespan in captivity. Both have a very debated diet from what Iā€™ve gathered. I try my best to give my Ekkie a well rounded diet. He isnā€™t a big fan of fresh foods. I made him a cookie from a recipe that someone posted on here that he loved. Do you have suggestions for the Ekkie diet that would be beneficial, or recipes that have worked really well for you? These little guys can be so picky šŸ˜Š

OP
Owlet

Owlet

Oct 27, 2016
Colorado
Parrots
Lincoln (Eclectus), Apollo (Cockatiel), Aster (GCC)
Toucanā€™s are another parrot that donā€™t do well in captivity, and they have a shortened lifespan in captivity. Both have a very debated diet from what Iā€™ve gathered. I try my best to give my Ekkie a well rounded diet. He isnā€™t a big fan of fresh foods. I made him a cookie from a recipe that someone posted on here that he loved. Do you have suggestions for the Ekkie diet that would be beneficial, or recipes that have worked really well for you? These little guys can be so picky šŸ˜Š
I agree with what your saying but, toucans aren't actually parrots! they have similar characteristics but theyre more closely related to woodpeckers than parrots.

Also, say what you will about BirdTricks but I use their seasonal feeding system and it seems to work really well for Lincoln.

kme3388

Sep 17, 2021
Minnesota, USA
Parrots
I agree with what your saying but, toucans aren't actually parrots! they have similar characteristics but theyre more closely related to woodpeckers than parrots.

Also, say what you will about BirdTricks but I use their seasonal feeding system and it seems to work really well for Lincoln.
Nico used to eat bird tricks pellets when I first got him. I had to stop feeding him that because of some of his medical issues. Heā€™s on a prescription pellet now. I think they are wonderful! Their bird spray bottle is also amazing. It mists which can be great for a parrot that is afraid of water. I have debated buying their food recipe books. They are costly, and I wasnā€™t sure if anyone else had personal experience with trying their recipes. Thanks for sharing that Lincoln does very well with it.

Most Reactions

Latest posts