List of safe and unsafe fresh fruits and veggies?

Artchic528

Sep 3, 2020
Charlotte, NC
Parrots
2 Albino Parakeets, Jax and Jasmine
Hi all! Iā€™m looking for a list of safe and unsafe fresh fruit and veggies for parakeets/budgies. Iā€™m planning on getting a pair of them (both female) and I want to give them the nutrients they would be missing from the seed based budgie food that Iā€™m also getting. I plan on serving the fruits and veggies raw/uncooked to have the most nutrition possible in them. I learned from my SIL (whoā€™s a nutritionist) that cooking fruits and veggies removes some of the nutrients. I also will have cuttlebone and/or mineral blocks for them, but nothing beats fresh veggies and fruits!

Thanks in advance!

LaManuka

Staff member
Super Moderator
Aug 29, 2018
Media
Albums
Queensland, Australia
Parrots
Fang ({ab}normal grey cockatiel), Valentino (budgie), Jem (cinnamon cockatiel), Lovejoy(varied lorikeet), Peach (princess parrot)
As you can imagine, the lists for both safe and unsafe are fairly extensive. Fortunately some of our members were kind enough to do the hard work for us already!

http://www.parrotforums.com/parrot-...afe-fresh-foods-toxic-food-lists-sprouts.html

Many keepers of budgies eventually convert to a largely pellet based diet. This is because seeds are quite energy dense and can lead to fatty liver disease in pet birds who don't get as much exercise as their seed-eating wild cousins do. By all means you can continue with seed while your budgies are settling in, but quality pellets are generally better in the longer term.

Happy reading!

Last edited:

Most Reactions