Little brother keeps trying to let the bird out

elenia

Mar 12, 2022
Parrots
Amazon Parrot
Hi looking for some advice!!
I have an amazon parrot named Willow who ive had for about three maybe four years now and my younger brother (2) keeps trying to let her out her cage by opening the bowls and leaving the latch on the door unlocked, the door cant be opened without the top latch being unlocked too which he cant reach thankfully but Willow can escape through the gap where the bowls go! Is there anything that i can maybe get or do to the cage to prevent it from being opened? We usually tighten the bowls latch really tight which makes it very difficult to feed her :rolleyes:. My mum wants to get Willow's wings clipped which im not really too keen on just because i thinks its unfair. Id love to get her a new cage thats bigger with a door thats higher up but i doubt that would stop my brother and i know how. expensive. cages can get 😖
Any advice would be appreciated thanks :)

D

Deleted member 42416

I am a mother now of kids ages 16 and 10. I cannot condone my past childhood behavior with my younger brother….but if my Mom asked me to wake him up, I would smear his face with shaving cream or toothpaste. Now that I think about it, I should have used Sharpie or makeup.

But I digress. Having a meaningful conversation with your brother and mother together, family meeting, no distractions is probably the more mature way to deal with this.

OP
E

elenia

Mar 12, 2022
Parrots
Amazon Parrot
I am a mother now of kids ages 16 and 10. I cannot condone my past childhood behavior with my younger brother….but if my Mom asked me to wake him up, I would smear his face with shaving cream or toothpaste. Now that I think about it, I should have used Sharpie or makeup.

But I digress. Having a meaningful conversation with your brother and mother together, family meeting, no distractions is probably the more mature way to deal with this.
I would love to do this but due to my brother being in his terrible twos he doesnt understand much and if you ask him to stop he doesnt listen :(
When hes a bit older hopefully he will understand more :)

Scott

Supporting Member
Aug 21, 2010
San Diego, California USA, Earth, Milky Way Galaxy
Parrots
Goffins: Gabby, Abby, Squeaky, Peanut, Popcorn / Citron: Alice / Eclectus: Angel /Timneh Grey: ET / Blue Fronted Amazon: Gonzo /

RIP Gandalf and Big Bird, you are missed.
Thanks for disclosing age, you cannot adequately reason with a two year old and must be fully defensive. Give him a few years and you'll hopefully have an avian loving brother!

ravvlet

Jun 25, 2019
Seattle WA
Parrots
Kirby - OWA, 33yrs old (2019-)
Broccoli - Dusky Conure - 3?mo old (July 2023 -)
~~~
(Rehomed) Sammy - YNA, 45 yrs old (2022-2023)
(RIP) Cricket - Cockatiel (2019-2022)
Ah, our youngest was about two when we got our birds! If you have the space you can put a baby playpen around the birds, so that your little brother can’t get close enough to the cage to touch anything! We were worried about our birds biting little curious fingers, so we never actually had an attempted toddler jail break because she could not get close enough. :)
I included a photo of what we did- it was a really inexpensive dog playpen we got online, and it did the trick nicely. (This is the cockatiels cage, couldn’t find a photo of the slightly sturdier pen we had for the ‘zon)

Attachments

• 3030155D-0D29-4F0E-895F-B267BE31C34B.jpeg
    3030155D-0D29-4F0E-895F-B267BE31C34B.jpeg
    536.4 KB · Views: 73

Most Reactions

Latest posts