Live Wheatgrass for Parrots?

BoomBoom

May 2, 2012
Parrots
Boomer (Sun Conure 9 yrs), Pewpew (Budgie 5 yrs), Ulap (Budgie 2 yrs), Eight & Kiki (Beloved Budgies, RIP)
After a moderate introduction period, my budgies now enjoy the occasional pot of wheatgrass I place in their cage. They munch on it, play with it and Pewpew even bathes in it (he likes to bath on plants even when they're not wet). I really like the idea of something alive and growing in their cage. It brightens up the cage and does seem to excite them.

It's been praised for it's nutritional value. High amount of vitamins E, B6, Thiamin, Niacin, Riboflavin and Pantothenic, as well as minerals Zinc and Manganese. Personally, I think a huge amount of wheatgrass must be consumed to reach the values attributed to wheatgrass. Some people are skeptical of its benefits. A few people even claim there are risks to human consumption from nausea to protein inhibition. I've read from other parronts that it is safe to give birds wheatgrass. What do you guys think? Do you offer this to your birds?

PS. Here's what it looks like inside the budgies' cage. It's grown so much and is now starting to wither but I'll be replacing it in a few days.

Laurasea

Aug 2, 2018
USA
Parrots
Full house
It looks like a tropical paradise!!! My budgies asked if they could come vacation there! I know nothing about wheat grass, but now I want it!!!

Ephy

Jan 3, 2018
Canada
Parrots
A 4 year old House Sparrow named Kiwi and a 22 year old dove named Baby
I have offered it to my Kiwi before and he enjoed eating it.
Since I dont grow my own, i would buy the already established plants from local health store for juicing but I had read the plant was really only good for 2 cuttings. The plant was also susceptable to mold growth so i would only offer it to them soon after purchase.
I would then cut and juice the plant and freeze into ice cubes then throw it out.
I think the plant is a good healthy treat for birds and humans

Last edited:
OP
BoomBoom

BoomBoom

May 2, 2012
Parrots
Boomer (Sun Conure 9 yrs), Pewpew (Budgie 5 yrs), Ulap (Budgie 2 yrs), Eight & Kiki (Beloved Budgies, RIP)
@Laurasea, Cloudy and Clear are welcome anytime (such awesome names)

@Ephy, I did not know it was susceptible to mold. Something to watch out for, thanks!

I am curious to see if others here use it as well and if this is a generally acceptable practice.

Superbird

Jun 22, 2013
Parrots
Kiku my Black Cap Conure
It's an interesting idea. Where can I buy wheat grass?

OP
BoomBoom

BoomBoom

May 2, 2012
Parrots
It's an interesting idea. Where can I buy wheat grass?

I get mine at a farmer's market but most health food places (or Trader Joe's) would have it already grown in pots. Petsmart / Petco have it in the cat section BUT don't purchase there because it is priced 4x more expensive.

Laurasea

Aug 2, 2018
USA
Parrots
Full house
@Laurasea, Cloudy and Clear are welcome anytime (such awesome names)

@Ephy, I did not know it was susceptible to mold. Something to watch out for, thanks!

I am curious to see if others here use it as well and if this is a generally acceptable practice.
Cloudy and Clear are packing their favorite toys! They are ready for s vacation from these noisy quakers!

clark_conure

Jul 14, 2017
Media
Minnesota
Parrots
A crossover Quaker Scuti (F), A Sun conure named AC, A Cinnamon Green Cheek conure Kent, and 6 budgies, Scuti Jr. (f), yellow (m), clark Jr. (m), Dot (f), Zebra(f), Machine (m).
THIS IS A DUG UP THREAD!!!! no need to reply to anyone.

I noticed my local pet shop had wheat grass in little 4" by 4" planters aimed at cats. I'm going to get one of these for my parrots and see how they react.

I'd only wonder if anyone else had success with this or any bad reactions.

Briburd

Parrot of the Month 🏆
May 25, 2021
Media
San Diego
Parrots
Mojito the green cheek conure
I bought it once for my GCC Mojito. He wasn’t super interested in it. Mostly played with the grass blades and then quickly got bored. I gave it a day or two to see if he’d warm up to it more but then when watering it I noticed mold already had started to form hidden deep in the sprouts/roots and threw it out immediately. Maybe just offer clippings of the wheat grass blades?

clark_conure

Jul 14, 2017
Media
Minnesota
Parrots
A crossover Quaker Scuti (F), A Sun conure named AC, A Cinnamon Green Cheek conure Kent, and 6 budgies, Scuti Jr. (f), yellow (m), clark Jr. (m), Dot (f), Zebra(f), Machine (m).
THANK YOU! I will probably buy but look for that. That's great info.

Most Reactions

Latest posts