Long-time owner, need help with behavior/training

Jazzop

Aug 25, 2015
Parrots
Double Yellow Amazon
I've had my DYH for about 10 years, yet I never really learned much about him except for some basic research on safety/health issues like diet, disease, etc. I figure it's never too late to get more involved on the behavioral side.

Background: Montoya is a DYH, sex unknown, about 15-18 years old. I am his third owner, but my dad was the previous owner, so I knew the bird casually for several years before taking him in. There are no other birds in the house. His wings have never been clipped (I am opposed to it). Since I got him, I switched him from seed to a pellet diet, curtailed the junk human-food snacks, and moved him into a much larger cage with thicker perches. He was never a distressed or ailing bird, but physically he is clearly much healthier than he ever has been. Now it's time to get down to business with behavioral issues...

Behavior/Personality: Until reading this and some other parrot/Amazon sites recently, I really had no idea that Amazons had such a reputation for volatility. I've seen mood swings from time to time, and he definitely does not like female humans. But since I'm not a female human, it never concerned me. Montoya came from a noisy home when he lived with my dad. It was the kind of place where people yell a conversation across the house rather than walk into the same room to talk normally. As a result, he developed an undesirable vocabulary of yells/shouts and would issue them at an undesirable volume. It has taken years for me to extinguish most of that, although he still has a couple of loud calls that are more like standard dawn/dusk flock behavior. I am a quiet & nocturnal person and I like a quiet house, so I am pretty strict with him about acceptable calls and volume level. His cage gets covered up when things cross the line. I believe what he needs now is more interaction time each day and some proper training techniques. There is also the problem of increased hormonal behavior in the past 2 years.

My questions:

1. How applicable is (behavioral) information written about other parrot species to Amazons? What about other Amazon types to the DYH? A lot of my internet searches turn up articles written about cockatoos, Greys, etc., so I don't know if the info is reliable with respect to my Amazon.

2. Where can I find good info on training my bird to be more comfortable with being touched and taken away from his cage? He will let me scratch his head, grab his beak with my fingers, and play "footsie" with my fingers and his feet, but back and belly are generally off limits unless he is very sleepy. He steps up just fine, yet he is apprehensive about riding on my shoulder, and he gets nervous if I carry him across the room from the cage. Leaving the room with him usually results in an attempt to fly back to the cage. He's definitely a homebody; sometimes I will put him on top of the cage, and he will climb back in and close the door behind himself! Should I rearrange the cage contents more often?

3. Should I do anything about his persistent humping of his toys? Perhaps this is related to the desire to stay near the cage. Would replacing the toys stress him out if he had some weird attachment to them?

4. What is a healthy treat that I can give him as a training aid? He loves seeds and nuts, but they take too much time to eat. Is there some sort of quick-consumption treat that will get him back to a ready state for another lesson? I thought about sunflower seeds, but aren't they unhealthy?

Mimsy01

Jul 7, 2014
Parrots
GCC-Foofany
European Starling-Zeki
BCC-Ellie House Sparrow-Napolean Parakeet-Bean
I can't give you a ton of info, but as far as treats-pine nuts and sunflower seeds work. If you want to work longer cut those in half and don't use ones in shells.

WilliamKenyon

Aug 21, 2015
Media
Parrots
Mango: Male cockatiel, Ruby: Female eclectus
There is many places that you can get information on amazon parrots on the internet. However I have found that while the internet is very good for research a book like this one (follow the link)
Booktopia - Amazon Parrots, Complete Pet Owner's Manual by Gayle Soucek, 9780764143410. Buy this book online. can be very valuable when dealing with parrots. Also here is a website with some great info on Amazon parrots. Amazon Parrots | Parrot Parrot . this forum is also a great place to get information directly from the public

A great place i have found for training information is a youtube channel called parrot wizard. He has heaps of great info on how to train your bird and also what you can do to keep your hook billed buddy happy.

i'm not sure about what you can do with his hormonal problems, sorry. :(

a good quick treat that many parrots love is millet spray. i know my cockatiel loves it. :D

i hope you and your parrot :green: can make a bond, good luck!! :41:

SailBoat

Supporting Member
Jul 10, 2015
Western, Michigan
Parrots
DYH Amazon
Thank-you, for taking in your Fathers DYH Amazon.

Please read though the first Post in the Amazon section of this Forum: Amazon Body Language. Working with Amazons require a knowledge of their Body Language and that post will get you well on your way. Once you have an understanding of body language, you have opened the door to training and furthering your contact with your DYH. Training is a process of very small behaviors targeted and placed together over time. IF you will, a Step by Step process. Amazons (in my opinion) are much easier to read (body language) and therefore much easier to train. Moving from touching the head to touching the belly or back is simply a process of moving the contact point slowly over time. Jumping from one to the other in one step could result in a bite. You have a lifetime, take you time and enjoy the results.

I agree with your belief in a fully flighted Amazon. However, there are responsibilities that come with this choice. Long lifed, medium to larger parrots need to have a micro chip. It is the only legal proof that the parrot is yours. If your parrot gets out, a micro chip greatly increases the likelihood of getting your parrot back.

I am going to guess that you're more laid-back personality and quiet home has severed you well with your Amazon. Parrot and especially Amazons key into our emotions. Since you are not into drama or emotional swings, your not seeing or contributing to that action in your Amazon.

Humping toys should be a seasonal thing driven by natural chemical changes (mating season). If you are seeing it year around, try increasing his periods of dark quiet sleep, which normally will reduce or shut-down that action. Note: If this is seasonal, then it is normal.

The difference between one Amazon and another is not huge. Yes a LCA will likely be a sweeter parrot than a DYH Amazon. Having said that, an overloaded LCA can be just as in your face as a DYH Amazon. DYH Amazons are classified a one of the "Hot Three." Meaning that pushed or self-driven to an overload state, they can be a bushel basket of in your face Amazon. Each Amazon has their own personality and yes some have a higher likelihood of a sweeter nature.

Welcome to this Forum!

Birdman666

Sep 18, 2013
San Antonio, TX
Parrots
Presently have six Greenwing Macaw (17 yo), Red Fronted Macaw (12 yo), Red Lored Amazon (17 y.o.), Lilac Crowned Amazon (about 43 y.o.) and a Congo African Grey (11 y.o.)
Panama Amazon (1 Y.O.)
My questions:

1. How applicable is (behavioral) information written about other parrot species to Amazons? What about other Amazon types to the DYH? A lot of my internet searches turn up articles written about cockatoos, Greys, etc., so I don't know if the info is reliable with respect to my Amazon.

AMAZONS HAVE THEIR OWN HORMONAL BEHAVIORS SPECIFIC TO THE SPECIES, AND DYH'S HAVE THE LONGEST BREEDING SEASON OF THE BUNCH. SO THEY CAN HAVE PRONOUNCED HORMONAL BEHAVIORS 4-6 MONTHS OUT OF THE YEAR.

2. Where can I find good info on training my bird to be more comfortable with being touched and taken away from his cage? He will let me scratch his head, grab his beak with my fingers, and play "footsie" with my fingers and his feet, but back and belly are generally off limits unless he is very sleepy. He steps up just fine, yet he is apprehensive about riding on my shoulder, and he gets nervous if I carry him across the room from the cage.

THOSE AREAS ARE GENERALLY NOT PLACES YOU WANT TO TOUCH, ESPECIALLY BACK, STIMULATES THEM SEXUALLY. STICK TO HEAD SCRATCHES. HE SOUNDS TAME ANYWAY...

AMAZONS SHOULD BE HAND BIRDS ANYWAY. CARRY HIM ON A HAND.

Leaving the room with him usually results in an attempt to fly back to the cage. He's definitely a homebody; sometimes I will put him on top of the cage, and he will climb back in and close the door behind himself! Should I rearrange the cage contents more often?

NAH. IF HE'S NOT PLUCKING, AND HE LIKES THINGS THE WAY THEY ARE, IT'S NOT BROKEN, DON'T FIX IT.

3. Should I do anything about his persistent humping of his toys? Perhaps this is related to the desire to stay near the cage. Would replacing the toys stress him out if he had some weird attachment to them?

NO. HE'S DOING WHAT HE NEEDS TO DO TO RELIEVE THE STRESS. IGNORE IT. GIVE HIM SOME PRIVACY.

4. What is a healthy treat that I can give him as a training aid? He loves seeds and nuts, but they take too much time to eat. Is there some sort of quick-consumption treat that will get him back to a ready state for another lesson? I thought about sunflower seeds, but aren't they unhealthy?

IN MODERATION IT'S OKAY.

ESPECIALLY IF THAT'S THE ONLY TIME HE GETS IT.

Last edited:

henpecked

Dec 12, 2010
Media
NC/FLA
Parrots
Jake YNA 1970,Kia Panama amazon1975, both i removed from nest and left siblings, Forever Home to,Stacie (YN hen),Mickie (RLA male),Blinkie (YNA hen),Kong (Panama hen),Rescue Zons;Nitro,Echo,Rocky,Rub
There is many places that you can get information on amazon parrots on the internet. However I have found that while the internet is very good for research a book like this one (follow the link)
Booktopia - Amazon Parrots, Complete Pet Owner's Manual by Gayle Soucek, 9780764143410. Buy this book online. can be very valuable when dealing with parrots. Also here is a website with some great info on Amazon parrots. Amazon Parrots | Parrot Parrot . this forum is also a great place to get information directly from the public

A great place i have found for training information is a youtube channel called parrot wizard. He has heaps of great info on how to train your bird and also what you can do to keep your hook billed buddy happy.

i'm not sure about what you can do with his hormonal problems, sorry. :(

a good quick treat that many parrots love is millet spray. i know my cockatiel loves it. :D

i hope you and your parrot :green: can make a bond, good luck!! :41:

IMO both of those links are pretty worthless, the second site can't even get the scientific names/common names right. Outdated crap. Try voren.com and read some of his articles. Parrot Wizard ??? egoistical pompas ass, yes. he might know about training but knows little about companion parrots.

OP
J

Jazzop

Aug 25, 2015
Parrots
Double Yellow Amazon
Please read though the first Post in the Amazon section of this Forum: Amazon Body Language. Working with Amazons require a knowledge of their Body Language and that post will get you well on your way.

Actually, I signed up for the forum after reading that post and a couple of others. I was surprised by the "Line of Death", as I've never seen it from Montoya. Since I never got any instruction on how to interact with him, I guess I just got lucky by reading him and keeping his agitation levels stable.

Birdman666

Sep 18, 2013
San Antonio, TX
Parrots
Presently have six Greenwing Macaw (17 yo), Red Fronted Macaw (12 yo), Red Lored Amazon (17 y.o.), Lilac Crowned Amazon (about 43 y.o.) and a Congo African Grey (11 y.o.)
Panama Amazon (1 Y.O.)
Actually, I signed up for the forum after reading that post and a couple of others. I was surprised by the "Line of Death", as I've never seen it from Montoya. Since I never got any instruction on how to interact with him, I guess I just got lucky by reading him and keeping his agitation levels stable.

The LINE OF DEATH dance relates to territorial aggression issues... most tame companion birds aren't that aggressive.... Neither of mine have ever launched at anyones face. Just because "they can" doesn't mean "they will"...

The ones that are? AREN'T KIDDING!

The point is, if you've identified a bird that is in "launch mode." DO NOT APPROACH IT!

I've dealt with a couple, usually they are hormonally challenged, usually cagebound, usually haven't been handled much, if at all, usually not properly socialized, and don't like "strangers" in and around "their space." Especially not during breeding season, when they are in "protect the nest" mode.

Rachel had a BFA that was that territorially aggressive. My neighbor's DYH could be that aggressive during breeding season, AROUND THE CAGE ONLY.

The Hot 3's tend to be the worst offenders, but it can apply to any amazon.

vctrcss

Sep 1, 2015
Los Angeles County
Parrots
white front amazon named Bell
pineapple Con Named Krikri
its great to see you are working with him. Ill tell you i have a white front and he is temperamental beyond what i have seen. one thing i could share is that if he likes his cage dont take it or change it. it is sort of a comfort zone for him. that is my thought. Pine nuts split in two or even three parts seem to work for my Bell during training. its a quick scrape scrape shake and clean then he is ready to follow more commands. try them out.

Most Reactions

Latest posts