Super Moderator
Dec 9, 2021
Media
Texas
Parrots
Tony-Green QP(M)
Tom-Pineapple GCC(M)
Milly- Sparrow (F)
Yes, the title says it all! Tom, my Gcc has started to talk and mimic. He's coming up on a year and a half old so I kinda expected it 😁
I can't video him though!!! He stops the second he sees my phone, sometimes he just stops and sometimes he gets mad at me for getting my phone out in his godly presence.
His current list of sounds and words that have developed over the past 2 months:

Baby bird
l Love you
Clicking his tongue
Kiss kiss (similar to clicking but more elongated)

Of course whistling and purring when I do, but he's done that since he was a baby.

There is one sound he's mimicking that I have a hard time hearing too often, and unfortunately for me, it happens EVERY SINGLE DAY MULTIPLE TIMES A DAY!!!
It's my male cockatiel Ryuk, not his displaying, which is relatively quiet, he has this certain scream, no, no, not a SCREM. A really grating scream that he does for no reason I can pinpoint, it's very shrill and I heard Tom trying to copy him.

Ah, the troubles of a conure.
Just wanted to share lol 😊

maddox

Supporting Member
Parrot of the Month πŸ†
2022 Parrot of the Year πŸ†
Mar 15, 2022
Media
Fairfield Connecticut, USA
Parrots
Maddox is a green cheek conure
That is amazing! I am trying to get my GCC Maddox to start talking. Any tips?

OP
zERo

zERo

Staff member
Super Moderator
Dec 9, 2021
Media
Texas
Parrots
Tony-Green QP(M)
Tom-Pineapple GCC(M)
Milly- Sparrow (F)
That is amazing! I am trying to get my GCC Maddox to start talking. Any tips?
Saying a phrase with lots of emotion helped, though with Gcc people say age has a lot to do with them beginning to talk, some people think they have to be close to 2 yrs. and some say 3 yrs.

maddox

Supporting Member
Parrot of the Month πŸ†
2022 Parrot of the Year πŸ†
Mar 15, 2022
Media
Fairfield Connecticut, USA
Parrots
Maddox is a green cheek conure
Saying a phrase with lots of emotion helped, though with Gcc people say age has a lot to do with them beginning to talk, some people think they have to be close to 2 yrs. and some say 3 yrs.
Maybe that is part of it. Maddox is only nine months so he might be a bit too young. I'm going to keep working on it though!

Rozalka

Supporting Member
Parrot of the Month πŸ†
May 23, 2018
Media
Albums
Poland
Parrots
Bourke's parrots, green cheeked conure
I'm pretty sure, my friend's GCC learnt saying before 2 y\o. I don't remember how old was Zenek

T00tsyd

May 8, 2017
UK
Parrots
Green cheek conure - Sydney (Syd) Hatched 2/2017
Just keep talking. I try to teach Syd new words of my choice but forget it. He chooses his own! His latest is a sort of chortle if I laugh out loud. He puts his head down and looks as though he is going to topple over. Invariably on my shoulder he chortles and then tucks his head into my cheek. So funny!

The most annoying at present is if I am on the phone. He rushes to my ear, nips it as if seeking attention while 'talking' rapidly as if he wants to be in on the conversation. Every word of his vocabulary comes out until I can barely hear the caller. Changing ears simply results in a race track around the back of my neck as he chases the phone from side to side. In the end I have to swish him off into flight for some peace at which he gives me the death stare from a distance.
Who would live with such a creature? I guess all of us! :love:

OP
zERo

zERo

Staff member
Super Moderator
Dec 9, 2021
Media
Texas
Parrots
Tony-Green QP(M)
Tom-Pineapple GCC(M)
Milly- Sparrow (F)
I'm pretty sure, my friend's GCC learnt saying before 2 y\o. I don't remember how old was Zenek
Yeah, Tom isn't quite two, so I think it just depends on the bird, rather than their age.

onamom

Staff member
Super Moderator
Parrot of the Month πŸ†
May 9, 2022
Indiana, USA
Parrots
Ona: Dilute Green Cheek Conure
That’s so exciting!!! I hope my baby Ona talks one day. The closest she does now is chirps that match the tone and syllables of β€œgoodnight” at bedtime

T00tsyd

May 8, 2017
UK
Parrots
Green cheek conure - Sydney (Syd) Hatched 2/2017
Has anyone tried a whistle? I am no great whistler by any means but that endless flock call if you are out of sight drives me crazy. I have found a 2 tone whistle that I can usually manage and when he is getting more and more desperate if I whistle back to him he goes silent as if assessing. Then it becomes a game. I whistle and he copies the tune. So there we are back and forth until I reappear. Now I could be out in the garden whistling to an unseen bird in the house - the neighbours fortunately already know that I am nuts.

OP
zERo

zERo

Staff member
Super Moderator
Dec 9, 2021
Media
Texas
Parrots
Tony-Green QP(M)
Tom-Pineapple GCC(M)
Milly- Sparrow (F)
Has anyone tried a whistle? I am no great whistler by any means but that endless flock call if you are out of sight drives me crazy. I have found a 2 tone whistle that I can usually manage and when he is getting more and more desperate if I whistle back to him he goes silent as if assessing. Then it becomes a game. I whistle and he copies the tune. So there we are back and forth until I reappear. Now I could be out in the garden whistling to an unseen bird in the house - the neighbours fortunately already know that I am nuts.
Yeah my Gcc will whistle and wait for me to answer or I'll do the same, he's decent at copying whistles too

wrench13

Staff member
Super Moderator
Parrot of the Month πŸ†
Nov 22, 2015
Media
Albums
Isle of Long, NY
Parrots
Yellow Shoulder Amazon, Salty
One can never tell what a parrot will pick up. Endless repetition can work sometimes, Salty learned "Little Brown Jug" like that and my Max (RIP) learned Beethoven's 9th intro like that. But Salty will pick things up almost immediately when I play videos of Indian Ring Necks talking, for some reason; their squeaky toy clown voices hit a chord with him. You guys might try that, playing videos of different species of parrots talking. You never know.

Most Reactions

Latest posts