Looking for a breeder

QueenInnocent

Jun 25, 2019
East Coast in America
Parrots
-2 parakeets, 2 male and 1 female
-Preparing to get a Galah (rosebreasted cockatoo)
Hello! You can call me Queen or Innocent! :) I am an 18 year old coming into an inheritance who is ready for her first big bird!!

I have done the researching, the understanding of negatives and positives, and the experience. I am resolved and positive to find my first long term companion!

However, whilst searching desperately for a reliable breeder or store owner, all I have seen are badly bred birds of ones with a bad history (over the reviews on the stores) which have been off-putting.

As an owner of two budgerigars I am sure that I want a Galah Cockatoo (Rose Breasted) as my first cockatoo! They are, from what I've seen, like cats; and do not have the biggest of big-bird beaks (not scared to get bit, but wanting to start small-ish with a nicely temperament-ed bird.)

Yes, I know their habits of dive bombing and I'm prepared lol. Yes, I know the moods that cockatoos get and the attention they need and I can provide it. (even when I get a job, as mine allows for pets to be in the premises (equine therapy)) Yes, my house is bird proofed and will be cockatoo proofed before any big bird enters the house! And yes, I will feed them a good diet (while asking for help from you guys perhaps...?)

And NO! I will not give up because of any issues I come across! I'm not here for a vanity pet, I am here for a friend, a family member, and someone I can put my trust into for a good connection.

The next birds I will be getting after my 'first' pet will be rescues, I promise that!! I understand the issues of breeders and stores, and to adopt not shop, but this is my only selfish wish I'll have that I've carried in me since I was a six year old holding her first kitten (we do not have any predators in the house, no dogs or cats now though.)

So, does anyone know a reliable breeder to get a male Galah from hand raised? (6 months old max) (been told you need to get one that's opposite of your gender for better chances on a connection, and I want to grow old with my 'first' big bird.)

Travel within the USA is 100% willing no matter how far I have to drive!

-

Thank you for reading despite if you can give me an answer or not. <3

Betrisher

Jun 3, 2013
Newcastle, NSW, Australia
Parrots
Dominic: Galah(RIP: 1981-2018); The Lovies: Four Blue Masked Lovebirds; Barney and Madge (The Beaks): Alexandrines; Miss Rosetta Stone: Little Corella
G'day QI and congratulations on your choice of avian companion. You honestly can't do better than a Galah: they have a quirky personality, enormous affection (although mind didn't for me, LOL!) and great intelligence. They're also highly subject to all the problems associated with cockatoos: they're needy, greedy and will self-mutilate if you leave them alone for too long. You already knew that, as you've clearly done your research.

I would normally advise a person to please consider rescuing a bird, since so many are desperately in need of a second chance, however your statement that you want to grow old with this bird made me pause. I'm in Australia, so I can't help with the name of a breeder. I just wanted to say I hope you find your bird and that everything goes well for you. If you do, please stick around and share his progress with us! :)

Betrisher

PS. The gender of your bird really hasn't got much correlation with the bond. Our family Galah was a boy and he *loathed* me and my daughter and turned into jelly for my husband and son.

OP
Q

QueenInnocent

Jun 25, 2019
East Coast in America
Parrots
Hello and thank you for your support in my search for a breeder, Betrisher! I do know the issues of shopping but not adopting; however, I have a singular plea to have one of my birds not die on me throughout my lifespan (I have owned many pets in my 18 years, and each of their deaths caused a massive crater in my heart that never fully healed. It's one of the many many reasons I am getting a cockatoo outside of how amazing they are when you prepare properly for them and are willing to take advice/learn as you go.)

(I will be making up for this when I have a home that can support more than one cockatoo. However, it was a struggle enough to even have my mother consider a bird in the house because of their destructive nature.. haha. I will have to wait to move out on my own for that!)

(for the PS.) I hope that information is true.. or perhaps not lol. I wouldn't want to get a cockatoo for them to simply bond primarily to my father and two brothers. :eek:

Betrisher

Jun 3, 2013
Parrots
Dominic: Galah(RIP: 1981-2018); The Lovies: Four Blue Masked Lovebirds; Barney and Madge (The Beaks): Alexandrines; Miss Rosetta Stone: Little Corella
Heeheehee! 'Destructive nature' is putting it mildly! Here in Newcastle, we regularly have to fight battles on behalf of the native cockatoos, who have a taste for chomping on coaxial cables and stripping trees. Residents keep campaigning to have the flocks shot or gassed, but so far no such thing has happened (fingers crossed). I get quite a kick out of driving down a leaf-covered street whose trees have been denuded by cockies: it means they're doing what they're supposed to! :D

noodles123

Jul 11, 2018
Parrots
Umbrella Cockatoo- 15? years old..I think?
I'm going to be the one who says what you don't want to hear (and it's not personal)...I know that Galahs are a bit less notorious than some of the larger varieties, but if you get a cockatoo, you are committing to something more complicated than adopting a child--yes, I know you can leave the bird at your house for short periods of time (unlike a child), but you can also bring a child with you into a gas-stations (without worrying about Teflon toxicity), and cook/ clean around them without worries about suffocation. A child also is much quieter, less capable of inflicting injury, lacking wings and they also cannot cause the same level of destruction, even if motivated and 99% of people understand if you cancel plans for a child (the same 99% of people are not scared of children, while the same cannot be said for birds). There intelligence is the same, BUT birds have totally different body language and instincts than humans. This means that caging them for long periods of time is stifling to their very sharp minds (regardless of behavioral issues you may be facing). This is going to sound negative, but it is important to think about everything I am about to say, because even in the best-case-scenario, everything I have said thus far still applies.

I have a cockatoo and NOTHING prepares you (coming from someone who has had a lot of bird experiences over my lifetime- large and small). Are there positives? Yes, but would I do it again if I knew the true amount of devotion and complications that would come with owning a cockatoo? I'm not sure (now I am so attached that it is hard to imagine life without her). Nevertheless, I thought I knew. I researched as well, and I was already through college when I got mine (re-homed). As cockatoos go, she is good, but it takes CONSTANT vigilance and work to barely meet her needs.
Please read this: Cockatoos: Think CAREFULLY before buying! - Mt Rushmore Birds

There is a re-homing bird epidemic in this country. Birds are re-homed disproportionately. Cockatoos, however, are re-homed more than ANY OTHER species (more than macaws, more than Amazons...they are the top of the list, period). They are also very expensive! Most people aren't willing to drop $2000 dollars on an investment that they plan on discarding, so why does it happen over and over? For someone to essentially waste $2000 dollars by giving away a bird that they knew could live up to 70 years when they acquired it, something has to be very wrong with the arrangement. This re-homing occurs even among seasoned large parrot owners (because cockatoos are unique and they are extremely high-maintenance. Mytoos.com proves that these birds are ill-suited for the majority of people. Now, will you hear contradictory stories about sweet, quiet "Toos"? Of course, but if you can't handle the bird at its worst (and if you aren't truly prepared for the worst-case-scenario, then it isn't fair to the bird).

Everyone thinks they know but we are talking about taking a bird who is designed to fly 50 miles a day with a large flock and a life-long mate and putting them in a home where respiratory contaminants are prolific and where even the largest mansion is going to be inadequate in comparison to their natural habitats. Cockatoos are unique because of their odd flock dynamic- they mate for life, but they are more social than other types of birds. This means that the amount of attention it takes to keep them happy is freakish. They also do not understand that they are not your only priority, which means that if you fail to meet their needs, they will self-destruct like a ticking time-bomb.

At 18, your life is too much in flux for a bird. You will likely plan on travelling and attending college and spending late nights. For cockatoos to regulate hormones (and essential immune health), they need 12-14 hours of sleep (on a set schedule) every single night--This means the same wake-up and bedtime each morning and night (as light cycles also play a role in hormonal production and sleep). What happens if you work until 6 but have to wake up at 5am? The bird will wake up when it hears you (whether or not it slept---and napping is no guarantee or substitute for nighttime sleep). Cockatoos are also TERRIBLE birds for apartments. They are INSANELY expensive when it comes to veterinary care and toys (as are all large birds). You must also consider the fact that "it takes a village" and that you may meet someone who doesn't care for your bird. Would you re-home her if you fell in love with someone who was unwilling to deal with the cost, noise, mess, and potential biting? What if you have children--a cockatoo can snap a kid's finger like a carrot (the potential is there). Then there is the fact that they act like completely different birds up until they hit puberty--- people spoil them and carry them everywhere and "snuggle" them (which is like feeding your bird arsenic btw). Then they end up with these screaming, needy, jealous, hormonal monsters who are plucking and screaming all day because they never learned to be independent and people stimulated them sexually by touching them places other than the head and neck. They are also extremely smart, so it takes very little to make a mistake and teach these birds a new set of bad behaviors...Babies are particularly susceptible and even though ALL babies are sweet (much like humans) they change their preferences and behaviors when their hormones kick in. This is when the majority of these birds are re-homed and sexual maturity doesn't happen until they are 6 or so, which means there is a ton of time to over-indulge your cuddly ball of fluff... When you say you are ready to take the plunge, any bird is a plunge, a Macaw would also be a plunge, but a cockatoo as a first bird is a bad idea. There is too much that cannot be learned without real one-on-one, long term experience. If you take this seriously (which you should, as they live for ages), I would strongly recommend that you think of a cockatoo as adopting a 2-year old, who never grows up, has extreme special needs (but stellar intelligence), the noise-level of a jet engine up-close at take-off, and pliers attached to his/her face (500 lbs of bite-force).

Boarding birds is complicated for them emotionally and in terms of heath. They hid illness and can be asymptomatic carriers of deadly disease (for which testing is notoriously inaccurate in asymptomatic birds). That doesn't mean they don't spread it still or that they are not contagious. Taking a bird to boarding facility, pet shop or any place with other birds is one way to risk contracting many contagious illnesses. If you plan to travel, if you can avoid boarding it is best. That having been said, no one can replace YOU (or the person you bond with), so if you plan on hiring someone to watch your bird, your bird will still not respond well to you leaving.

Then there is also the issue of respiratory sensitivities. How attached are you to doing crafts in your home, lighting candles, cooking, using perfumes/hairspray etc etc? They are extremely sensitive to Teflon/PTFE/PFOA/PFCs, as well as any irritants found in scented products, standard household cleaners, aerosols, polishes, perfumes, fabreeze, carpet shampoo, flea baths, essential oils etc. So, you cannot clean with standard cleaners, nor can you risk using any product that might contain Teflon/ PTFE/PFOA/PFCs around them, as there are documented reports of people's birds passing due to Teflon use on separate floors. It is found in all sorts of places in and outside of the kitchen, including curling irons, straighteners, space-heaters, ironing board covers, drip trays, rice-cookers, air-fryers, the lining of some microwave popcorn bags, griddles, toasters, ovens and microwave ovens (to name just a few). It is not something you can inspect visually, so you must call about any product and it is a giant hassle with multi-day response time anticipated.

If you still are interested, I urge you to volunteer long-term at a place that houses abandoned cockatoos. All of them start out sweet and cuddly. That is the problem.. This has nothing to do with me doubting your intelligence, research or competency, and everything to do with me hoping to steer you in a direction that will be best for both you and the bird. Feeling forced to re-home a bird can be a heart-breaking and stressful experience for all and it most definitely impacts the bird long-term..

Again, hands-on experience is the only way you will learn, but hanging out with a cockatoo at a shop for a few hours doesn't cut it. They thrive in high-stimulation environments (and they are hams when it comes to putting on a show). Consequently, what you see isn't exactly what you get when you bring the bird home.

I also strongly suggest that IF once your life is settled and you have volunteered with cockatoos, that you consider adopting. There are SO MANY in need of homes and all of them started off as babies...

Last edited:
OP
Q

QueenInnocent

Jun 25, 2019
East Coast in America
Parrots
Betrisher,

Yes! My mother shook her head so many times when she saw a new spot messed up in the last two years. I think it's mainly because they don't like the good toys I've gotten them (except for one which has stopped all house destruction.. lol) so I will be extra on top of having a good 50-60 toys for the pink monster I'm bringing into my house XD. Apparently boxes are a favorite to some? I'm going to take advantage of my family's attic, then!

And on the topic of people wanting to remove the destructive joys, I really wish people didn't consider those kinds of methods. Animals and us have a lot of common, despite humans trying to have a superior complex and saying that we're the only smart ones around. We should respect that they will be themselves, and we can't change that..

Plus, destroying the population won't change much. There will be more Galahs that will replace the ones they shoot or gas. :(

(working on replying to the massive text block, will take me a bit but don't worry - I'm not ignoring it haha!)

- Queen

noodles123

Jul 11, 2018
Parrots
Umbrella Cockatoo- 15? years old..I think?
Betrisher,

Yes! My mother shook her head so many times when she saw a new spot messed up in the last two years. I think it's mainly because they don't like the good toys I've gotten them (except for one which has stopped all house destruction.. lol) so I will be extra on top of having a good 50-60 toys for the pink monster I'm bringing into my house XD. Apparently boxes are a favorite to some? I'm going to take advantage of my family's attic, then!

And on the topic of people wanting to remove the destructive joys, I really wish people didn't consider those kinds of methods. Animals and us have a lot of common, despite humans trying to have a superior complex and saying that we're the only smart ones around. We should respect that they will be themselves, and we can't change that..

Plus, destroying the population won't change much. There will be more Galahs that will replace the ones they shoot or gas. :(

(working on replying to the massive text block, will take me a bit but don't worry - I'm not ignoring it haha!)

- Queen

Don't give them boxes-- It's another major hormonal trigger---yes, they enjoy them, but just as you shouldn't cuddle one, you shouldn't give them boxes---or any dark spaces for that matter (under your clothing, under furniture, tubes, hammocks, huts, drawers, cabinets, bedding, paper piles etc). I know Marlene Mcchowen (sp) gives them to hers, but it is very much ill-advised and her "Toos" actually exhibit a lot of hormonal behavior (it looks funny on Youtube, but it can easily get out of hand---and even lead to health problems--especially in females). Boxes simulate nesting spaces and change hormone production.

Is your mom aware of the Teflon, cleaning, candle etc restrictions?

Last edited:
OP
Q

QueenInnocent

Jun 25, 2019
East Coast in America
Parrots
Noodles,

In contrast to what you say about me not wanting to hear this, I'm actually glad you've stepped out to reply to my topic! It makes me happy that any new person that strolls into here, will not just jump into getting into a cockatoo without anyone giving them a stern lesson in the responsibility that they need to even have barely any of their needs cared for. <3 However, also in contrast, I do understand even a smidgen of what I'm up against when handling these beautiful creatures because of people like you, and I've been given many rebukes about getting a cockatoo so early in life.. It's just my situation is a bit different than the average teenager or young adult's.

The career path that I will be taking allows for the bird to stay in a safe environment close to me even when working, so my wonderful but also mischievous new family member won't be getting left in a cage. That goes the same to my two budgerigars.

My house and my living situation are already adjusted to having birds (I've been living with parakeets to cockatiels all my life) and there has never been any respiration issues in the household. I will also be taking more preparations knowing that there is a high possibility that a Galah will be more sensitive to the environment than the pets I have now.

I am diagnosed with a mild case of Asperger's coming genetically from my grandfather on my mother's side, and I also have social anxiety and ocd to top on some of the issues. While, these do sound concerning for a bird-owner-to-be, this gives me a severe advantage in comparison to other teenagers or adults. You see, if I do not have a schedule set up for my every day life (also shown by the factor I have a backpack carrying everything I need for small emergencies) it is very negative to me, just like a cockatoo's. The male or female ball of terror and joy that comes into my life will have a stable living situation. Proper bedtimes, wake-ups, screaming/music sessions, feeding times, times away from me for independence, and bonding sessions will not be an issue for me to keep in my schedule. I've never been much of a traveler, but yes I will be going to college.. just not this year. When I get to that point, I'm going to see about asking the professor(s) in question if having my bird with me will have an issue.

When it comes to my pets, they will always be on top of anything. Because, they are my family and they only get the best.

I am not someone with a small amount of money on me, either. I don't really like to share this type of information but so as to calm your worries, I am an inheritor with over 350,000 in my name. But, this isn't the only information. I am apprenticed to an experienced investor who is successfully in the career path I'm going into that supports my journey, and I will probably be a millionaire within a decade. Money is /not/ an issue to me when it comes to my family. <3

If my budgerigars could speak, they'd shout to the heavens to you that they are /barely/ in their cage. The only times that they are, is when they are sleeping, needing food, or the door is open to the house (outside) (whether it is furniture coming in or something akin to that.) Their living space primarily could be considered my room, which is much bigger than an aviary. That, also excludes when they are let into the rest of the house (with my supervision.)

I also am prepared to get injured, to have a moody family member on my hands that wants to be left alone and will be given that time. I am prepared to have to deal with a bird that seems to find all my nerves when they bite me for whatever reason that is, and I can tell you that any sort of pain will not deter me from giving my family members the life they deserve. Per example, my family was once almost in the path of a tornado. The first, THE FIRST and almost only thing I went for was my pets. The second was their food. That was all.

If a plausible partner of mine cannot handle that I have pets on me that will be on me for a lifetime, they can leave. I will not give up my family just because my boyfriend or whoever does not care for their negatives. The attention I give them, etc. If I do get into a relationship, that first thing I will mention is my pets. If they can't handle that, we will part ways and I will have dodged a bullet. The best way to see one's character is how they treat their/their partner's animals.

And, I will not be having children. Never wanted them, don't want to deal with them, simply because of a traumatic past is all. Animals, however, have never been a conflicting decision to me. I feel my happiest with them.

My mother actually went the wrong way about her sun conure before I was born. She was the type that snuggled him and pet him wrongly, and yeah he ended up thinking she was his mate until they gave him away. I will not be doing that. I respect my family's boundaries. For instance, my parakeets (no matter how much I love them) /loathe/ getting pet. And that's fine with me! I'm just fine with hearing their joyful chirps and being able to interact with them in more placid ways (stepping up onto my finger, resting on my shoulder, giving me eskimo kisses.) Their companionship and presence next to me, gives me all the comfort I need for why I got them in the first place

You state that a cockatoo as a first bird is a bad idea, and I agree with you! I wouldn't be even considering taking in a cockatoo if I didn't have the bird experience and time with them as I do. I've been waiting for over 8 years for this moment, and I believe now that I am fully ready for having a feathered partner by my side for the rest of my lifespan, no matter how hard it gets. :)

Yes, I know how noisy birds can get and how crazy it can be. I've had cockatiels and budgerigars my whole life screaming me awake to congratulate the sun for it's rise and fall. Honestly, I feel that having not the best of ears is an advantage in this.

I won't be boarding my babies anywhere. Pushing them aside, to rot in a cage without any positive feedback where they won't have the loving attention they need is just a horror to me. :(. I feel that I wouldn't be able to live with myself if I did something like that to them.

I understand the concern about respiratory issues. I am fully willing to change whatever I use for the sensitive airways a cockatoo has, and any long hassle won't be able to burden stubborn Queen! ;) (The world will have to bend over before I let go of my patience and will to get something done.)

Sadly, I can't volunteer to any place like you mentioned because I live in a very small town and there isn't any rescue of the like close to me. It would take me a good 5 hours to get anywhere near a rescue, which is what I wanted to do in the first place lol.

And yes, I will be adopting. However, I do still just want one bird that will live my lifespan first. If I get any from rescues, there is a tendency they will be 20 to 30 years old already from what I've heard (where the lucky ones are in the 10s.) I have a long life ahead of me, and I know that medical issues would eventually take the life of any adoptee I get.

Feel free to contact me more with concerns that you have about my situation, but I believe that I'm ready!

Hope I responded to everything, but my eyes blurred a bit at all the text lol.

- Queen

OP
Q

QueenInnocent

Jun 25, 2019
East Coast in America
Parrots
Noodles,

Thank you for the advice! This is why I joined the community here, so that I wouldn't make any serious mistakes. I wouldn't want a bird to have to deal with that! Any advice of simple destructive toys I could use outside of boxes? Maybe if I crushed them so that there won't be any shade or spots for them to crawl inside?

Yes, she is! This isn't our first rodeo with birds parent-wise luckily! (my parents have owned cockatiels and conures throughout their 50 years.)

My father is also a crazy cockatoo fan, haha. Always wanted one but my parent's money situation is tight compared to mine. Plus, they don't want my help with the debt issue even though I could clear it up right away for them.. fixing their own problems and all.

- Queen

Kiwibird

Jul 12, 2012
Parrots
1 BFA- Kiwi. Hatch circa 98', forever home with us Dec. 08'
Speaking as someone who adopted my bird (amazon) when I was 19, am now 30 and have been his caretaker for over a decade (during which we’ve lived in multiple places, moved to the other end of the country, been through all kind of life ups and downs etc...) there are some things to consider beyond financial stability. With cockatoos especially, as they are more emotionally fragile and attention needy than other species of parrot. While you may have enough money to financially support your bird (which is great and a huge concern for many younger bird owners), it’s the time they take and impact on social activities that will kill you.

Let’s say your coworkers or friends want to meet after work for drinks. Guess what? You can’t, because your bird has come to expect you to come home after work to play with him. Now your trapped until the bird goes to bed at 8/9 p.m. and your coworkers and/or friends think you’re a weird bird person. Trust me on this one, people just don’t get that birds require insane levels of attention VS sit in a cage and look pretty, and typically do not view you being a good bird owner as a positive thing. Obviously the occasional night out is ok, but that would be like maybe once a month. Or on weekends, which is likely the best time for you to clean the cage, make new toys, prep food for the week etc... Now you choose between providing the basic care for your bird for the upcoming week or going camping or a weekend away with friends. And cleaning a big cage vs small bird cages is a whole other beast. It takes me about 3 hours to fully steam clean my birds cage, stand, perch and backpack. A galah is similar in space needs. Add in toy making at another hour or two and food prep (my vet advises against freezing chop) and you’ve killed a whole day. It’s really very much like having a child. The bird NEEDS YOU. It sits in its cage or room all day waiting for those times it spends with you. That’s what they learn- behave during the day/week and I get to play with my most favorite person at night/weekend. It’s a lifelong commitment to that, as they never grow up, they never become more independent, they max out at a mental 2-5 year old and live 65+ years. I’m not a very social person myself so Ive never minded dedicating so much time to being with my bird, but for most young adults it’s a difficult sacrifice to make. He’s also become much more mobile, coming out with me to run errands, for walks, day trips etc... over the years too (that’s a whole other hassle to bring your bird places). Just make sure you’re fully prepared to make this sacrifice at this age. Not discouraging you. I certainly don’t regret the extra years I’ve enjoyed with my bird but I know some people my age who wouldn’t want to put the effort into keeping a houseplant because they want such active social lives and an active social life or traveling often is in no way conducive to parrot ownership.

Last edited:

Betrisher

Jun 3, 2013
Parrots
Can I just put a different point of view in here?

I always find it interesting how, whenever someone posts announcing his intention to acquire a bird (most often a cockatoo or macaw), so very many people jump in and actively try to dissuade him. They do this, usually with the qualifier 'I don't mean to put you off, but...' and then proceed to list all the pitfalls of bad bird ownership. Some people write small novels listing every possible thing that could go wrong. I've even done it myself, for heaven's sake!

However!

No matter what my opinion or that of anyone else, a person is free to acquire, adopt or inherit whatever bird he jollywell pleases in this world and it's not up to me or anyone else to tell him what he can or can't do with it. Certainly, if a new member asks for assistance it's appropriate to list (*briefly*, please!) the main pitfalls. It's probably kinder to point the newbie to the appropriate forum where all the info has already been enshrined. The thing is, it's really not appropriate to question a person's motives or suitability to own any bird or species of bird.

So, QI is eighteen. So what? When I was eighteen, I had the sole responsibility for two horses, two dogs, eight cats, two aviaries full of birds and a tortoise. All were well taken care of and given every drop of my attention, despite my attendance at school, work and, later, University. Our family Galah, Aloysius, was my father's special friend, however it was *I* who fed him on schedule with a doll's teaspoon throughout the day and cared for his requirements (the Galah, not Dad) when he was a baby.

Now, I am no paragon. I've made my mistakes along the way. However, I've learned from them and have always been driven by the needs of my animals as living, sentient creatures, seeking always for their comfort and security. If I've learned anything it's that *no* bird should live out its life confined to a cage or a human dwelling. One hundred percent of our avian friends should be flying the skies, not cooped up and being given 'out-of-cage-time' when it suits us. Not *one* of us can avoid the guilt of that!

Except for Hannah, but she's exceptional, bless her heart!

Please accept this as simply a point of view that might bear examining. No matter how well your bird is housed, occupied and fed, it's not perfect. No matter how needy and work-intensive parrots are, it doesn't mean that someone else can't do as well or better than you do, no matter what his or her age might be. Supposing a newbie makes an error (such as - shock! horror! - giving his bird cardboard boxes to play with) - can't we just say 'oh, it's better to disassemble the box before you let your bird have it'?

It's only fairly recently we've learned of birds' hormonal cycles and the ways in which things like body-stroking and the provision of dark, secret places can affect behaviour. Yet, we expect every newbie, no matter how young or how removed from mainstream knowledge to know these things as if by magic! We give them grief for it as if they should have known better when they came here in the first place in order to *find out*.

AFAIA, our primary purpose is to inform and support other people like ourselves who have embarked on bird ownership. Our purpose is NOT to judge them or to persuade them not to do exactly what we ourselves have done: take a bird and put it in a cage and keep it in our homes. QI has been open and candid about the intention to own a Galah and do everything possible to make its life good. I've seen not one particle of evidence to suggest that QI's potential Galah won't have an excellent life. And if QI makes the odd mistake, then we are here to advise accordingly. And kindly, I hope!

Betrisher

Ellie777Australia

Apr 12, 2019
Queensland, Australia
Parrots
SI Eclectus Female, Ellie; RS/SI Eclectus Male, Bertie (both adopted as rescue/re-home)

I always find it interesting how, whenever someone posts announcing his intention to acquire a bird (most often a cockatoo or macaw), so very many people jump in and actively try to dissuade him. They do this, usually with the qualifier 'I don't mean to put you off, but...' and then proceed to list all the pitfalls of bad bird ownership. Some people write small novels listing every possible thing that could go wrong. I've even done it myself, for heaven's sake!

However!

No matter what my opinion or that of anyone else, a person is free to acquire, adopt or inherit whatever bird he jollywell pleases in this world and it's not up to me or anyone else to tell him what he can or can't do with it. Certainly, if a new member asks for assistance it's appropriate to list (*briefly*, please!) the main pitfalls. It's probably kinder to point the newbie to the appropriate forum where all the info has already been enshrined. The thing is, it's really not appropriate to question a person's motives or suitability to own any bird or species of bird.

So, QI is eighteen. So what? When I was eighteen, I had the sole responsibility for two horses, two dogs, eight cats, two aviaries full of birds and a tortoise. All were well taken care of and given every drop of my attention, despite my attendance at school, work and, later, University. Our family Galah, Aloysius, was my father's special friend, however it was *I* who fed him on schedule with a doll's teaspoon throughout the day and cared for his requirements (the Galah, not Dad) when he was a baby.

Now, I am no paragon. I've made my mistakes along the way. However, I've learned from them and have always been driven by the needs of my animals as living, sentient creatures, seeking always for their comfort and security. If I've learned anything it's that *no* bird should live out its life confined to a cage or a human dwelling. One hundred percent of our avian friends should be flying the skies, not cooped up and being given 'out-of-cage-time' when it suits us. Not *one* of us can avoid the guilt of that!

Please accept this as simply a point of view that might bear examining. No matter how well your bird is housed, occupied and fed, it's not perfect. No matter how needy and work-intensive parrots are, it doesn't mean that someone else can't do as well or better than you do, no matter what his or her age might be. Supposing a newbie makes an error (such as - shock! horror! - giving his bird cardboard boxes to play with) - can't we just say 'oh, it's better to disassemble the box before you let your bird have it'?

It's only fairly recently we've learned of birds' hormonal cycles and the ways in which things like body-stroking and the provision of dark, secret places can affect behaviour. Yet, we expect every newbie, no matter how young or how removed from mainstream knowledge to know these things as if by magic! We give them grief for it as if they should have known better when they came here in the first place in order to *find out*.

AFAIA, our primary purpose is to inform and support other people like ourselves who have embarked on bird ownership. Our purpose is NOT to judge them or to persuade them not to do exactly what we ourselves have done: take a bird and put it in a cage and keep it in our homes. QI has been open and candid about the intention to own a Galah and do everything possible to make its life good. I've seen not one particle of evidence to suggest that QI's potential Galah won't have an excellent life. And if QI makes the odd mistake, then we are here to advise accordingly. And kindly, I hope!

Betrisher

Thank you Betrisher.

HEEDLESS

Supporting Member
Nov 9, 2018
Media
US
Parrots
Eclectus: SI. Vosmaeri
"KISE" She was born in Jan, 2018.
"Akashi" He hatched 07/13/2021.

However!

Betrisher

GOD BLESS YOU

**Hugs**

**CHUUUUUUUUU**

sunshine.within

Sep 19, 2018
No. The breeding of parrots should be illegal. More and more of these amazing, wild creatures are brought to life under extremely poor circumstances because people can’t get an actual job.
A parrot’s egg is made to be laid and then taken away. Which means that the mother suffers the loss of her baby and the baby will suffer the endless stream of consequences of having been deprived of its parents’ guide and nurturing.
They are not taught how to fly, how to maintain their plumage, communicate, forage and all the things that nature intended for them to learn.
My rescued parrot has never met her parents and doesn’t know how to fly. She was also abused so now one of her winds is injured but even if it wasn’t, she’s not a whole bird because someone decided to make money off of her species.
Rescue a bird if a bird is what you want. There are so many, of all ages, that need to be brought to safety. My Bianca has the sweetest, most amazing personality. Knowing all that she has had to go through has taught me how to put my own life’s ups and downs into perspective. Making sure that she gets to have positive experience, at last, is one the heights of my life.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Most Reactions