Looking for a Dusky Conure Breeder, far west Texas.

Mervolo

Sep 3, 2022
Parrots
Budgiers
I recently lost a bird and I was trying to see if there was anyway to trace the breeder by the leg band. I've searched online for hours but can't seem to come up with anything. I got the little guy from a Petsmart and they weren t much help but I was able to retrieve the band number which is AR 14347. He was sold as a Green Cheek Conure but upon trying to find a replacement I discovered that he was actually a Dusky Conure. I know it's silly but I'm really quite heartbroken and was hoping I could find a replacement from the same breeder because he was just such a sweetheart. That or find a reputable breeder nearby. I live in El Paso, TX but from the band I was guessing the little guy came from Arkansas or thereabouts. If you had any idea or any suggestions I would be greatly appreciative.
His loss was sudden and tragic. i just can't seem to get over it.

Attachments

• Kiwi.jpg
    Kiwi.jpg
    272.2 KB · Views: 58

LaManuka

Staff member
Super Moderator
Aug 29, 2018
Media
Albums
Queensland, Australia
Parrots
Fang ({ab}normal grey cockatiel), Valentino (budgie), Jem (cinnamon cockatiel), Lovejoy(varied lorikeet), Peach (princess parrot)
I recently lost a bird and I was trying to see if there was anyway to trace the breeder by the leg band. I've searched online for hours but can't seem to come up with anything. I got the little guy from a Petsmart and they weren t much help but I was able to retrieve the band number which is AR 14347. He was sold as a Green Cheek Conure but upon trying to find a replacement I discovered that he was actually a Dusky Conure. I know it's silly but I'm really quite heartbroken and was hoping I could find a replacement from the same breeder because he was just such a sweetheart. That or find a reputable breeder nearby. I live in El Paso, TX but from the band I was guessing the little guy came from Arkansas or thereabouts. If you had any idea or any suggestions I would be greatly appreciative.
His loss was sudden and tragic. i just can't seem to get over it.
Welcome to the forums, @Mervolo, though I am very sorry for the circumstances that brought you here. Your beautiful dusky looks like an absolute sweetheart and I am truly sorry for your loss. Unfortunately i cannot help you with a contact, but a young breeder friend of mine here in Australia always recommends that you contact local parrot fanciers' clubs and societies in your State - there are a few on the page linked below and I hope that one of them may be able to help you ...

I'm so glad you found us @Mervolo. This is a community who understands only too well how much it hurts when we lose one of our beloved feathered companions in life, and my deepest condolences go out to your for your loss. 🙏

OP
M

Mervolo

Sep 3, 2022
Parrots
Budgiers
Welcome to the forums, @Mervolo, though I am very sorry for the circumstances that brought you here. Your beautiful dusky looks like an absolute sweetheart and I am truly sorry for your loss. Unfortunately i cannot help you with a contact, but a young breeder friend of mine here in Australia always recommends that you contact local parrot fanciers' clubs and societies in your State - there are a few on the page linked below and I hope that one of them may be able to help you ...

I'm so glad you found us @Mervolo. This is a community who understands only too well how much it hurts when we lose one of our beloved feathered companions in life, and my deepest condolences go out to your for your loss. 🙏
Thank you so much @LaManuka! I sent out some emails to AFA Regional Contacts but I'm not sure if I was over stepping my bounds. I will def try that link and thank you again for the reply.

LaManuka

Staff member
Super Moderator
Aug 29, 2018
Media
Albums
Queensland, Australia
Parrots
Fang ({ab}normal grey cockatiel), Valentino (budgie), Jem (cinnamon cockatiel), Lovejoy(varied lorikeet), Peach (princess parrot)
Thank you so much @LaManuka! I sent out some emails to AFA Regional Contacts but I'm not sure if I was over stepping my bounds. I will def try that link and thank you again for the reply.
You're most welcome, @Mervolo, I hope it helps you :)

OP
M

Mervolo

Sep 3, 2022
Parrots
Budgiers
So update:
Cheryl from the AFA was able to track down the breeder apparently they're Avian Resources out of Cali and run by Steve Duncan. She mentioned he was a reputable breeder but the contact info, well the phone number didn't work and their website contact page is empty.
I shot them a message thru Facebook but has anyone had dealings with them or could suggest a better way to reach them? I'm gonna try twitter and some social media to see if there's any possibility.

Cottonoid

Supporting Member
Parrot of the Month 🏆
Feb 20, 2022
I haven't heard of them but I'm glad you have a lead! Social media sounds like a good next step, too.

I'm sorry for your loss ❤️ and hope you are able to make contact with them!

OP
M

Mervolo

Sep 3, 2022
Parrots
Budgiers
I haven't heard of them but I'm glad you have a lead! Social media sounds like a good next step, too.

I'm sorry for your loss ❤️ and hope you are able to make contact with them!
I was able to. It was of great condolence to at least be able to find out where he/she came from. The breeder/handler said she only had two left and that they were female. I didn't even know for sure the sex of Dr. Kiwi but they thought he was a boy. Online it says that they're like most parrots, monomorphic, and I've seen photos of flocks of them and I can't tell the difference one way or the other either. He wasn't really vocal except to ask where I was or the morning hello. Super quiet most of the time. Just snuggly though sometimes liked to play with my fingers.
So I'm stuck. I just wanted to get someone as close to as Kiwi as possible but I'm scared of female health issues like egg binding and the calcium deficiencies.
Another breeder, Jadine s Birdsnest, said she had some eggs hatching soon and so maybe they might get a male.
Any opinions?
I started with mostly male birds(two male parakeets and a male cockatiel and they were pretty chill. One of my favourite later birds was a friendly female parakeet whom we had bonded over with her first (and honestly I think my first if free range chickens don't count) clutch. She didn't have much of a supporting hubby so I would hold food up to the nesting box hole for her and it went from there. We would eventually get closer but she was never cuddly. More like she just wasn't afraid of my hand anymore, would still take food from me, and seemed grateful the next two accidents for my continued assistance.
She had been my most tame in a long time but i feel like she would've lived longer had she not had the ability to lay. She loved her nest but I had to take it away eventually. She lived in it even when she wasn't on eggs. Feel like she resented me because of that.
I had her since 2018 I want to say and she just went a few months ago, I think this last April before summer.
Knock on wood, I still have one of my first two Original Parakeets, Mingo. I thought he was a girl because he was all white(pink cere) but turns out nope.
Had him since before 2013 and he's still rambunctious as ever. He just feels a bit more frail if I have to catch him but he used to run the apt and is about the only one who comfortably flys around.
Anyhow, I digress.
I guess the question was if you think female vs male really makes a difference esp in Dusky Headed Conure species?

Most Reactions

Latest posts