Looking for a great breeder

Tinabell

Jun 9, 2019
Media
Oregon
Parrots
Double Yellow Headed Amazon. Born 4-2-19
Iā€™m looking to get a baby CAG , I live in Oregon and was not sure who I should be looking at in regards to a great breeder ? I am willing to travel if I need to to find the best breeder . Any recommendations would be helpful.
I do have children and out house is busy so I wanted a baby to acclimate him or her to our home. Otherwise , I might have chosen a rescue.

Terry57

Staff member
Super Moderator
Nov 6, 2013
Media
Albums
Spruce Grove, Alberta, Canada
Parrots
Hawkhead(Darwin),YCA(Dexter),VE (Ekko),OWA(Slater),BHP(Talli),DYH(Calypso),RLA(Kimera),Alex(Xander)CBC(Phoe),IRN (Kodee,Luna,Stevie),WCP (Pisces),CAG(Justice)GCC (Jax), GSC2(Charley)
I did a couple of searches but was unable to find any breeders of CAGS in Oregon.
It may be a good idea to reach out to any bird clubs you have in your area as someone there may be able to help you with your search. Calling avian vets is also an option.
Best of luck to you, I hope you're able to find your baby soon!

ScottinSoCal

Sep 7, 2019
Ventura County, CA, USA
Parrots
Had a Blue Front Amazon. Now have an African Grey (CAG)
This isn't what you asked, but I'll give this answer anyway.
Try finding and visiting a local parrot rescue, and finding an adult, instead. This has a big benefit:
Those difficult years, when your baby has hit teenager status and wants to find a mate, settle down and raise baby birds? They're all behind him/her. The hormone surges and instincts saying "leave this place and find a mate" are in the past. Find the right bird, one that picks you, and your new bird will love you forever.
Boo the Blue Front Amazon, and now Scooter The Gray can both attest to it.

OP
Tinabell

Tinabell

Jun 9, 2019
Media
Oregon
Parrots
That was my first hope. One of our rescueā€™s never even called back after I filled out all the paperwork and the other doesnā€™t have any medium to large birds that are friendly with children. We have a busy home and a baby will learn to be comfortable with our family . It seems the rescued birds at the other rescue that I did speak with doesnā€™t have any birds that will be comfortable in our home. That's my dilemma

ravvlet

Jun 25, 2019
Seattle WA
Parrots
Kirby - OWA, 33yrs old (2019-)
Broccoli - Dusky Conure - 3?mo old (July 2023 -)
~~~
(Rehomed) Sammy - YNA, 45 yrs old (2022-2023)
(RIP) Cricket - Cockatiel (2019-2022)
How close are you to the Washington state border? I know at least two parrot stores in Seattle/King Country that work with local breeders and infrequently get greys; I also know one of them sometimes get greys for rehoming.

I have kids and a very loud household as well, and every up for adoption Grey Iā€™ve met (only three, mind you) all were very nervous around kids, or we were told didnā€™t like kids outright also. I, like you, had (before coming to this forum) also considered buying a grey as a baby - but we ended up getting a cockatiel, and later adopting amazons instead. Our Amazons are both rescues and they LOVE our kids. Too much, in one case, but the point is, they do not seem to mind chaos or noise. They happen to also both be great talkers, but thereā€™s no guarantee.

If itā€™s not too far for you, contact Incaā€™s Secret or Deniseā€™s Parrot Place. Both have had rehomed greys and babies come through. Itā€™s a little too early for any breeders to have greys yet, I believe, but we are coming up on when theyā€™d know availability. I will warn you however that almost every grey rehome Iā€™ve seen has begun plucking, with I think one exception, so thatā€™s something else to consider. Changing hands unexpectedly and being uprooted like that is really rough for them.

OP
Tinabell

Tinabell

Jun 9, 2019
Media
Oregon
Parrots
How close are you to the Washington state border? I know at least two parrot stores in Seattle/King Country that work with local breeders and infrequently get greys; I also know one of them sometimes get greys for rehoming.

I have kids and a very loud household as well, and every up for adoption Grey Iā€™ve met (only three, mind you) all were very nervous around kids, or we were told didnā€™t like kids outright also. I, like you, had (before coming to this forum) also considered buying a grey as a baby - but we ended up getting a cockatiel, and later adopting amazons instead. Our Amazons are both rescues and they LOVE our kids. Too much, in one case, but the point is, they do not seem to mind chaos or noise. They happen to also both be great talkers, but thereā€™s no guarantee.

If itā€™s not too far for you, contact Incaā€™s Secret or Deniseā€™s Parrot Place. Both have had rehomed greys and babies come through. Itā€™s a little too early for any breeders to have greys yet, I believe, but we are coming up on when theyā€™d know availability. I will warn you however that almost every grey rehome Iā€™ve seen has begun plucking, with I think one exception, so thatā€™s something else to consider. Changing hands unexpectedly and being uprooted like that is really rough for them.
Thank you do much for taking the time to write. Iā€™ll check into both those places tomorrow .

ravvlet

Jun 25, 2019
Seattle WA
Parrots
Kirby - OWA, 33yrs old (2019-)
Broccoli - Dusky Conure - 3?mo old (July 2023 -)
~~~
(Rehomed) Sammy - YNA, 45 yrs old (2022-2023)
(RIP) Cricket - Cockatiel (2019-2022)
Not a problem! I think there are a couple parrot stores in northern Oregon also, but I donā€™t know them by name - just remember reading about them because they had a ā€˜too stolen from them or something but was able to get it back?

If you guys get a baby grey do let me know how they like your Amazon! I know a couple other people have both species too.

Gary Davis

Feb 19, 2023
Media
Parrots
African grays (Congo),Solomon Island Eclectus'
Iā€™m looking to get a baby CAG , I live in Oregon and was not sure who I should be looking at in regards to a great breeder ? I am willing to travel if I need to to find the best breeder . Any recommendations would be helpful.
I do have children and out house is busy so I wanted a baby to acclimate him or her to our home. Otherwise , I might have chosen a rescue.
Hello, I have a breeding pair of African gray Congos with three eggs but I'm not sure if they are fertile, at some point we will have chicks! But I do have two baby Solomon Island eclectuses, one male one female and they are the absolute best for a total family very friendly and mild-mannered. If interested we can arrange for a shipment to you, I live in Stephenville Texas, thank you.

Most Reactions

Latest posts