Looking for a Green-Winged Macaw

Justylou

Jan 16, 2021
Reno, NV
Parrots
Our Hahn's passed about 7 months ago and our family is ready for a new bird family member. We would like a Green-Winged Macaw. Looking for a weaned baby or young adult if possible. Would consider a rescue. We are in Reno, Nevada. Any help finding a reputable breeder or a rescue bird would be appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Shannon :red1:

SailBoat

Supporting Member
Jul 10, 2015
Western, Michigan
Parrots
DYH Amazon
The Large Mac's can easily live into their seventies. So, unless you are truly young, they will easily out live you. That provides good reason to consider a Rescue, especially if you allow the Parrot to choose you! IMHO, it is not a great idea to define your next Parrot to a single species as a large Mac that wants to be with you is much better than getting a Green-Winged that has little interest.

Start with your existing Avian Medical Professional as they know what Large Mac's are looking for a home in your area. Local Parrot Group(s) are also a great source as are the Rescues in your area. Breeders run the full gamut from poor too excellent. The Great Breeder will only sell fully fledged (a baby that is flying), where as a Good Breeder will only sell a fully weened baby that has been on solid food for two - three weeks. Anyone that will sell you a baby prior to above should be avoided at all costs.

OP
J

Justylou

Jan 16, 2021
Reno, NV
Parrots
Hi Sailor,

Thank you for the great advice.

I already have made plans for my critters in my will. Our Hahns was supposed to go live with our 20-year-old son. He is looking forward to a new bird joining the family and will be part of the decision making.

I need to get in touch with more of the rescues and I am having trouble filtering out scammers from good/great breeders. You are right. I need to find a great breeder if we decide to go with a baby.

Shannon :red1:

bug_n_flock

Jan 2, 2018
Isolated Holler in the Appalachian Wilderness
Parrots
B&G Macaw, Galah, 5 cockatiels, 50 billion and a half budgies. We breed and do rescue. Too many to list each individual's name and age etc, but they are each individuals and loved dearly.
I was recently looking for a great breeder for a congo african grey... SO many scams. I ended up looking at craigslist and found a listing for the bird who would become our galah. I agree with Mr. B about limiting yourself to only looking for 1 species. Choose the bird who seems like a good fit for you and for your son, and you can't go wrong. :)

OP
J

Justylou

Jan 16, 2021
Reno, NV
Parrots
Thanks for the advice. I will keep an open mind when looking for a bird. So many beautiful birds out there.

saxguy64

Staff member
Super Moderator
Apr 24, 2018
Media
Albums
Maine, USA
Parrots
Tucker the Red Sided Eclectus
Baxter the YNA
Avery the CAG
Patches the Grand Eclectus, my best friend. RIP
Cuckoo the BFA RIP
Visited our "local" (an hour drive) refuge last weekend for some supplies. She had a gorgeous harlequin there this time. First time I got to see one in person. WOW! Pictures don't do them justice. Not promoting them, just noting that you never know what might be available, or which one might take a liking to you. This one didn't show much interest in me, thank God! Two is already past my limit :)

OP
J

Justylou

Jan 16, 2021
Reno, NV
Parrots
yes, need to go to our "local" rescue too. Ours is over an hour away too.

Most Reactions

Latest posts