Looking for a new home for our green-cheeked conure

PA Becky

Oct 20, 2022
Parrots
Simon, a green-cheeked conure who's about 15.
We are taking the hard decision to look for a new home for Simon, our green-cheeked conure who is at least 15 years old. For years Simon and our cats and dog happily coexisted. But a just over a year ago we rescued a feral kitten, Welly, who has become a loving cat. The only problem is that Welly wants to attack Simon. This means that we can't leave them alone in the same room. So every night, Simon is in a different room. If we both go to work -- different room for Simon. It also means that Simon can't come out of his cage when Welly's in the house. If we go away, Simon has to be in a different room and then the person who looks after our pets needs to be very careful about the door. Simon is a great conure. He loves to sample most of the food we eat, adores popcorn, sitting on the shower curtain rail when we take showers and getting sprayed by the shower water, flying to his cage. He loves being tickled and appreciates having the keratin cracked on his feathers. He doesn't like to have his nails clipped, but he doesn't put up too much of a fuss. We just think that his life is getting smaller and smaller because of the caution we have to take with the cat. We live in central Pennsylvania and would be really happy to converse with anyone who loves birds and could give Simon a good home. Thank you very much!

Ronnie27

Oct 13, 2022
MĂ©xico
Parrots
Esmeralda, Perla, Arcoiris, Kiwi
I would love to adopt Simon, sadly I'm not in the USA.

I just have one question, what has made you choose to give away one of your pets (which previously coexisted in peace) instead of capturing and relocating the feral cat you rescued just one year ago?

Here are some shelters for pet birds, you could call them up so they can help Simon to find a family.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20221020-155623.png
    Screenshot_20221020-155623.png
    46.7 KB · Views: 55

wrench13

Staff member
Super Moderator
Parrot of the Month 🏆
Nov 22, 2015
Media
Albums
Isle of Long, NY
Parrots
Yellow Shoulder Amazon, Salty
Yeah, kinda see what side of the bread that falls on. Simon is likely better off outa there.

OP
P

PA Becky

Oct 20, 2022
Parrots
Simon, a green-cheeked conure who's about 15.
Dear Ronnie 27, Thanks for your suggestions and you ask a fair question. So in order to give Simon an interesting life, I spend time with him as much as I can. But it has changed from being a good thing to more of a burden. This reflects a change in me and my family, more than a change in Simon. The little kitten took weeks to just be able to touch. During that time, I started to deeply love the kitten, who was supposed to be adopted out when he got old enough. But when the time came I couldn’t do it. So it is a moral failure on my part in that I am acknowledging that I find it harder and harder to honor my commitment to giving Simon a good life. My fear is, that if he stays with us, his quality of life will continue to diminish, little by little, and I don’t want that. So I am exploring this option with an open mind.

Littleredbeak

May 27, 2020
Dear Ronnie 27, Thanks for your suggestions and you ask a fair question. So in order to give Simon an interesting life, I spend time with him as much as I can. But it has changed from being a good thing to more of a burden. This reflects a change in me and my family, more than a change in Simon. The little kitten took weeks to just be able to touch. During that time, I started to deeply love the kitten, who was supposed to be adopted out when he got old enough. But when the time came I couldn’t do it. So it is a moral failure on my part in that I am acknowledging that I find it harder and harder to honor my commitment to giving Simon a good life. My fear is, that if he stays with us, his quality of life will continue to diminish, little by little, and I don’t want that. So I am exploring this option with an open mind.
I am so sorry you are going through this. I have once a feral kitten( now a 5 year old) who peacefully coexists with everyone. I would post pictures but I think it is against the rules of this forum. I had the cat first then then the birds. I corrected the cat with no and making a no sound. I also have a 2 teir cat cage (it was her kitten cage) that if birds are out and I'm not there then she goes in with her cream and special food. She like mostly ignores my birds.

Reading your response it seems rehoming Simon is something you are considering regardless of the feral cat. While searching for a home for Simon, a cat cage may make things safer and easier on you and your family.

Posting a photo of Simon may help too

Best regards to you and Simon!

Sunshine522

Oct 2, 2022
Parrots
Conures
We are taking the hard decision to look for a new home for Simon, our green-cheeked conure who is at least 15 years old. For years Simon and our cats and dog happily coexisted. But a just over a year ago we rescued a feral kitten, Welly, who has become a loving cat. The only problem is that Welly wants to attack Simon. This means that we can't leave them alone in the same room. So every night, Simon is in a different room. If we both go to work -- different room for Simon. It also means that Simon can't come out of his cage when Welly's in the house. If we go away, Simon has to be in a different room and then the person who looks after our pets needs to be very careful about the door. Simon is a great conure. He loves to sample most of the food we eat, adores popcorn, sitting on the shower curtain rail when we take showers and getting sprayed by the shower water, flying to his cage. He loves being tickled and appreciates having the keratin cracked on his feathers. He doesn't like to have his nails clipped, but he doesn't put up too much of a fuss. We just think that his life is getting smaller and smaller because of the caution we have to take with the cat. We live in central Pennsylvania and would be really happy to converse with anyone who loves birds and could give Simon a good home. Thank you very much!
I’m in ocmd, I currently have a bonded pair but I’m more than happy to love another little fluffy guy…

AnitaPruiett

Nov 2, 2022
Parrots
Green Cheek Conure
You mentioned he is 15 years old Is he in good health. I would like a photo first...! I am happy to pay shipping if you are willing to ship...!

Most Reactions