Looking for Baby Macaw

Jesseg

Dec 12, 2020
Looking for a Caninde, Redfronted or Severe Macaw. I would prefer a breeder that is local in Southern California. I would like an baby Macaw that is not weened, I am experienced at hand feeding and have hand feed all my pet parrots starting from the age of 8-10 weeks. It is challenging but you get the best bonding experience they become another little person in your life.
I am new to the forum therefore please forward PM's to moderator if you are a breeder or know of a breeder. Moderator will then forward me the PM's.

Thank you.

Last edited:

Flboy

Dec 28, 2014
Greater Orlando area, Florida
Parrots
JoJo, 'Special' GCC, Bongo, Cinnamon GCC(wife's)
Welcome to you! I disagree on the bonding experience with an unweaned fid! Many have found as the bird progresses, he/she views you as a paront and may try to break away from the nest!

SailBoat

Supporting Member
Jul 10, 2015
Western, Michigan
Parrots
DYH Amazon
If your goal is too ween and sell off, getting a baby Macaw has merit. But, if you are planning a companion Parrot relationship, your choice of a Macaw can be an issue as the Mac will clearly out-live you...

Fully agree with my friend above, it is not uncommon for mid to large Parrots to reject their parents and move on into adulthood.

The concept of selling unweaned Parrots is a recent one pushed by lazy breeders (small b) to increase their profits.

Laurasea

Aug 2, 2018
USA
Parrots
Full house
Welcome to the forum.
I do have to agree about un weaned babies being a bad idea. Its extremely stressful on an un weaned parrot to go to a new home home and have all of a sudden " new parent feeding them, even if experienced. Often causes some stunting and many fall ill, delays weaning...we here have seen plenty die as well.....

Often this also sets up the bird to have behavioral issues as adults....

Something to think about anyway ..

Do you still have the other parrots you hand fed?

OP
J

Jesseg

Dec 12, 2020
Not sure what type of un weaned baby's you are talking about, I have had nothing but success with my pet parrots. Never had any issue or caused any undue stress. The breeders I have dealt with are upright and care for their baby's. When I bought my Sun and Jenday this spring I had to demonstrate that I knew how to prepare the formula, test for temperature and proper feeding technique. Needless to say I passed. I do not resale or in the market for a profit. These are our family pets for life.

OP
J

Jesseg

Dec 12, 2020
I have all my pet parrots as soon as I reformat my picture to the acceptable size I will upload.

Laurasea

Aug 2, 2018
USA
Parrots
Full house
Look forward to seeing your flock. And hopefully you will share your knowledge with members who join with un weaned parrots in distress. We regularly have inexperienced folk join with babies and so many do die ... its hard on all of us who try and help.

OP
J

Jesseg

Dec 12, 2020
As soon as I reformat my pictures I’ll upload.

bug_n_flock

Jan 2, 2018
Isolated Holler in the Appalachian Wilderness
Parrots
B&G Macaw, Galah, 5 cockatiels, 50 billion and a half budgies. We breed and do rescue. Too many to list each individual's name and age etc, but they are each individuals and loved dearly.
I don't claim to know for large birds, but for the little ones I don't even advocate hand feeding at all, unless life-or-death. Parent raised but socialized from nestlinghood yields healthy and well balanced, robust and delightfully tame birds who know that they are birds. We have had fewer issues with socialized parent raised birds having misplaced sexual desires and the like. Their immune systems are stronger, their mental health is way better, etcetera etcetera etcetera. I do not sell unweaned babies, even to those experienced in hand feeding.

You do what you deem best for yourself and your flock, but I strongly advise most people against taking the course you seem to have set for yourself.

That said, I will be happy to offer any advice I can that would be helpful to you. I suspect you will have a great deal of trouble finding a responsible, reputable breeder of macaws who will sell you an unweaned baby. Even with your experience.

Don't let me rain on your parade and poo poo your dreams. I wish you luck with your future mac. Tho as a related aside, we couldn't be happier with our b&g mac whom we adopted as an adult... just saying. :blue1:
Can't wait for photos of your birds, and welcome to the forum!

P.S. many members here upload photos to a free image hosting site like photobucket and then link the images here. :)

Most Reactions

Latest posts