Looking for owners of JennAir Ovens

MacawLoverOf3

Jun 23, 2013
Parrots
Jody
Kalea
Donovan
I am shopping for a new (electric) oven and am looking at the JennAir JIS1420DS. I was directed by someone to check out here what noodles123 wrote and learned of 2 other things to check for.

PTFE= polytetrafluoroethyline, PFOA=Perfluorooctanoic acid, PFCs=Perfluorinated compounds, PFAS= polyfluoroalkyl substances and Teflon...anything with "fluoro" in it..."

I again called JennAir as they already confirmed there were no PTFE?s, PFOA?s or formaldehyde in the oven but this is the response for these PFC and PFA?s: After researching the potential for PFE's and PFAS's, the MSDS sheets that are available to us only have a breakdown of specific parts and not an overall listing for the appliance. So what do they mean by ?Overall listing for the appliance?? Doesn?t all those parts make up a ?whole? oven? I responded to that email with that question and received this response: We apologize for the confusion over MSDS sheets. Material Safety Data Sheets are available for separate, chemically-based products such as touch-up paint, Affresh cleaners, gear case oil, etc. Therefore, MSDS sheets are only available for those specific parts, not the overall appliance.

Are there any bird owners that have a JennAir (electric only) oven they bought more recently? Any chemists out here that can educate me if this over all would be safe as I do believe it is safe to say about it not having gear case oil LOL. This brand does not have that self-cleaning mode but rather they do it differently using water. It does not burn it off as well as the self-cleaning models do, but is safe for the birds.

FYI, Whirlpool makes JennAir, Amana, KitchenAid and Maytag.

SailBoat

Supporting Member
Jul 10, 2015
Western, Michigan
Parrots
DYH Amazon
Electric Ovens across the board common using coatings on their surfaces near or a fixes to the heating elements. Without a detailed knowledge of what you need to specifically look for, it is very easy to purchase and bring into your home a dangerous product.

With the ever increasing cost of electricity and ever more frequent brownouts, blackouts and other supply issues, electricity is quickly becoming a question source in the future.

OP
M

MacawLoverOf3

Jun 23, 2013
Parrots
Jody
Kalea
Donovan
Electric Ovens across the board common using coatings on their surfaces near or a fixes to the heating elements. Without a detailed knowledge of what you need to specifically look for, it is very easy to purchase and bring into your home a dangerous product.

With the ever increasing cost of electricity and ever more frequent brownouts, blackouts and other supply issues, electricity is quickly becoming a question source in the future.

Thank you for that reply SailBoat. This house only has electric to it and have never even looked into seeing what it would cost to get it set up with propane. I grew up in Chicago with natural gas and electricity and just so much easier.

This is an induction range that I am looking at and am trying to be very cautious with what I would bring into the house and hoping to find others that have the same and their babies are all ok.

SailBoat

Supporting Member
Jul 10, 2015
Western, Michigan
Parrots
DYH Amazon
The new technology ovens are developed with the idea of reducing cook time and increasing the penetration of the heat into what you are cooking. They originally targeted the product for industrial high volume kitchens, but with time have found means of cost reductions and introduced them to home use.

Most builders who are building to budget /lower construction costs will push all electric homes as it reduces their cost to build. If your home has a crawl space or basement under it adding propane is not that expensive.

The sad reality is that Birds are fine, until they are not.

Remember that warm air and fumes rise and the most dangerous place is upstairs, near the stairway.

Most Reactions

Latest posts