Looking to adopt in CA

TotaPanchi

Feb 8, 2022
Danville, CA
Parrots
Looking to adopt
Looking do adopt a parrot, in SF Bay Area CA. As of now, not very particular. I have lot of room in the house for any size bird.

Looking for advice as well. There is an adult Macaw at the local shelter with plucking problem. If I end up adopting it, what am I getting into?

Ria.345

Banned
Banned
Jun 23, 2021
New York City
Parrots
Sun Conure and Umbrella Cockatoo
I think your intentions with adopting a bird are great and youā€™re on the right track. But there are a few questions to consider when thinking about what species of bird you want to bring home, what suits you, or even if you want to end up bringing home the macaw at the shelter nearby. Iā€™ll list these questions below for you to think about.

1. How old are you?
2. Are you still in school?
3. Do you plan to relocate, marry, have children, or plan any major life changes in the near AND far future?
4. Do you already have children?
5. Do you live with family?
6. Are you financially secure to care for any parrot especially larger species?
7. Do you work from home or are home most of the day?
8. Do you prefer things to be very tidy and clean?
9. How much time can you dedicate to owning and interacting with parrots?
10. Are you willing to minimize or possibly get rid of any household items that could hurt your bird? Common things such as air fresheners, perfumes, Teflon cookware, scented candles, etc etc etc?

These are questions that must be considered because parrots and larger species especially are really not easy to deal with and tend to be rehomed a lot which doesnā€™t benefit anyone. So itā€™s important to do research and consider your lifestyle before you completely alter it for the sake of your feathered friend. Let us know! And weā€™ll be able to help out and formulate a decision for you and find out a species that you could work with! All at your discretion.

BirdyBee

Jan 7, 2022
Media
Albums
South Africa
Parrots
Current birds:
John
Snowy
Pippen

Past birds:
Grumpy
Sunny
Griffen
Jeff
Gertjie
I don't have anything to add. @Ria.345 already said everything you need to know!

Also keep in mind that rescue birds aren't for everyone since they often have emotional needs, so just be prepared for what you are getting yourself into!

SailBoat

Supporting Member
Jul 10, 2015
Western, Michigan
Parrots
DYH Amazon
Truly Great Advice provided above!!
In addition:
- There should be an Avian Medical Professional near by and that prior to final adoption, the Professional should examine the Parrot! Understand that medical care with larger Parrots is expensive.
- Mac's can be great lovers, but they like any large Parrot requires some level of knowledge regarding large Parrot care.
- Mac's can be very loud, like a 707 (older, very noisy jet aircraft) and apartment living is commonly not recommended.
- Far to often, individuals fall in love with a larger Parrot, only to find-out that their Parrot is not that much into the Human. It is very important to 'let the Parrot choose you.' It places you a long ways down the road to a Bonded Relationship.

BirdyBee

Jan 7, 2022
Media
Albums
South Africa
Parrots
Current birds:
John
Snowy
Pippen

Past birds:
Grumpy
Sunny
Griffen
Jeff
Gertjie
Truly Great Advice provided above!!
In addition:
- There should be an Avian Medical Professional near by and that prior to final adoption, the Professional should examine the Parrot! Understand that medical care with larger Parrots is expensive.
- Mac's can be great lovers, but they like any large Parrot requires some level of knowledge regarding large Parrot care.
- Mac's can be very loud, like a 707 (older, very noisy jet aircraft) and apartment living is commonly not recommended.
- Far to often, individuals fall in love with a larger Parrot, only to find-out that their Parrot is not that much into the Human. It is very important to 'let the Parrot choose you.' It places you a long ways down the road to a Bonded Relationship.
Agreed! Also, I'd like to add that they should do research on parrots before getting one. They've come to the right place, here they can ask any questions they'd like!

SailBoat

Supporting Member
Jul 10, 2015
Western, Michigan
Parrots
DYH Amazon
Agreed! Also, I'd like to add that they should do research on parrots before getting one. They've come to the right place, here they can ask any questions they'd like!

And, to that point; read the MAC Forum here on Parrot Forum. It has a wealth of knowledge. As a General Mid-to-large Parrot information source, Read the second Thread at the top of the Amazon Forum (I Love Amazons). That Huge Thread as a ton of knowledge not only for Amazons but near all the larger Parrot Species. Sadly, that Thread was developed before the leap to the new Format for Parrot Forum, as a result the pages are meaningless. The segment regarding a Home Emergency Kit is truly excellent!!

OP
TotaPanchi

TotaPanchi

Feb 8, 2022
Danville, CA
Parrots
Looking to adopt
I think your intentions with adopting a bird are great and youā€™re on the right track. But there are a few questions to consider when thinking about what species of bird you want to bring home, what suits you, or even if you want to end up bringing home the macaw at the shelter nearby. Iā€™ll list these questions below for you to think about.

1. How old are you?
2. Are you still in school?
3. Do you plan to relocate, marry, have children, or plan any major life changes in the near AND far future?
4. Do you already have children?
5. Do you live with family?
6. Are you financially secure to care for any parrot especially larger species?
7. Do you work from home or are home most of the day?
8. Do you prefer things to be very tidy and clean?
9. How much time can you dedicate to owning and interacting with parrots?
10. Are you willing to minimize or possibly get rid of any household items that could hurt your bird? Common things such as air fresheners, perfumes, Teflon cookware, scented candles, etc etc etc?

These are questions that must be considered because parrots and larger species especially are really not easy to deal with and tend to be rehomed a lot which doesnā€™t benefit anyone. So itā€™s important to do research and consider your lifestyle before you completely alter it for the sake of your feathered friend. Let us know! And weā€™ll be able to help out and formulate a decision for you and find out a species that you could work with! All at your discretion.
Thanks @Ria.345 . While I have watched videos on small parrot vs large parrot, this gives me little more food for thought. Especially #8 and #10. Financially we are ready for a pet, but we are still figuring out about the commitment. Our bird will be a family pet. Family is 2 adults and 2 kids around 10. Well.. since I am the one posting, it will likely be me who will take responsibility, but I think my older kid will also take a lot of responsibility. He is good with getting down to the details.

Again, thanks for your thoughts.

Most Reactions