Looking to buy an Eclectus but can't make up my mind which one....HELP!!! Young or older 15, male or female????

Cpoppy

Aug 6, 2022
Parrots
Solomon Island Eclectus
Hi everyone,
I am looking to purchase an Solomon Island Eclectus from Lily at Solely Solomon. I wanted to adopt an older female because I do not want to take a chance of getting one that would get egg bound. However, I am curious as to how it would be to adopt one at 15 yrs of age and she was a breeder. That's the part that worries me (breeder) and I am so undecided as to if I sould get a female or male. I know the females tend to be a little more standoffish which I am ok with. The males wanting more attention. I can't make up my mind. Can anyone or everyone :) Please, share with me your experience with your male or female, if you adopted an older one or was yours a baby?

I know they are all different and no telling how she or he will be. I stay home all the time so I have plenty of time for training and care. Also, My husband is a loud character and I am afraid if I get one that's 15 she made not adapt to our home. I have a dog that runs around barking at my husband they play and carry on as soon as he gets home. That was another reason I was tending to go with a female because they are more content, at least that is what I have read, and discussed with Lily.

Any help would be awesome. Thank you. I honestly thinnk I'm talking myself into a baby...haha, now male or female???

SailBoat

Supporting Member
Jul 10, 2015
Western, Michigan
Parrots
DYH Amazon
You are really looking at apples and oranges with this question.
The reality is; You want the Parrot that chooses You!

In your discussion with this breeder did she state that this specifies has a very specific diet requirement? IMHO, that is critical knowledge for anyone buying this species.

OP
C

Cpoppy

Aug 6, 2022
Parrots
Solomon Island Eclectus
You are really looking at apples and oranges with this question.
The reality is; You want the Parrot that chooses You!

In your discussion with this breeder did she state that this specifies has a very specific diet requirement? IMHO, that is critical knowledge for anyone buying this species.
Yes absolutely, and I have experience with eclectus. As far as the male goes. Now it’s time to think of getting another one. He was a rescue but I volunteered at this rescue and I was just going to maybe lean towards the female this time around. This is why I am reaching out. I never got a female and especially a breeder parrot. So I know she would need a lot of work. Or do I just take the plunge and purchase a baby. Ugh, yes it’s a tough decision.

LoveOfallAnimals

Jul 17, 2022
Texas
Parrots
Eclectus - Female - Tequila
Red-Lored Amazon - Male - Tito
Albino Indian Ringneck - Female - Tia
I wouldn't want to get any bird that I haven't been able to interact with several times. I always allow the animal to choose me whether it is a pound puppy, bird, or horse. I feel like my sucess with my animals has always been due to the connection that we have by them having chosen me.

My advice would be to go interact with the animals and then make a decision. I have found that most baby animals don't have their true personality until six months or older. I love a baby baby, but older is less of a risk as to what their true personality will be.

OP
C

Cpoppy

Aug 6, 2022
Parrots
Solomon Island Eclectus
I wouldn't want to get any bird that I haven't been able to interact with several times. I always allow the animal to choose me whether it is a pound puppy, bird, or horse. I feel like my sucess with my animals has always been due to the connection that we have by them having chosen me.

My advice would be to go interact with the animals and then make a decision. I have found that most baby animals don't have their true personality until six months or older. I love a baby baby, but older is less of a risk as to what their true personality will be.
Hi, thank you for your input. I would love to be able to go and interact with them. Unfortunately, she is in Texas and I am in Maryland. I have the same thought process as you and so afraid of having a bird shipped but she has great reviews. The one I think I am considering is a female that is 1.2 years old.
However, I am still do research. I am looking at several differnt types of parrots but the eclectus is a wonderful pet!

LoveOfallAnimals

Jul 17, 2022
Texas
Parrots
Eclectus - Female - Tequila
Red-Lored Amazon - Male - Tito
Albino Indian Ringneck - Female - Tia
Hi, thank you for your input. I would love to be able to go and interact with them. Unfortunately, she is in Texas and I am in Maryland. I have the same thought process as you and so afraid of having a bird shipped but she has great reviews. The one I think I am considering is a female that is 1.2 years old.
However, I am still do research. I am looking at several differnt types of parrots but the eclectus is a wonderful pet!
They are fabulous but do have special dietary needs that don't make them as easy as some of the other parrots. With our current heat and airport changes, I don't think I would take a chance on shipping a bird. Food for thought as someone who does web development reviews can be fake. My two cents is to not buy any animal without seeing it in person.

OP
C

Cpoppy

Aug 6, 2022
Parrots
Solomon Island Eclectus
They are fabulous but do have special dietary needs that don't make them as easy as some of the other parrots. With our current heat and airport changes, I don't think I would take a chance on shipping a bird. Food for thought as someone who does web development reviews can be fake. My two cents is to not buy any animal without seeing it in person.
Thank you so much for your reply and I truly feel the the same. I am thinking of checking out a Quaker’s. There are so many in the internet and within driving range. However, I know they are a feisty but I have a lot more time at home to devote to training. And I want to see which one picks me. I totally agree with this philosophy!

Most Reactions