Looking to protect balcony for training of Cockatoos

GHOSTLY

Aug 18, 2021
Parrots
Spring the green cheek conure
I found that those cheap dollar store mosquito net mesh type things work quite well. at my old home when I taught my conure to go back and forth

Owlet

Oct 27, 2016
Colorado
Parrots
Lincoln (Eclectus), Apollo (Cockatiel), Aster (GCC)
I dont recommend a dollar store mosquito net especially for a cockatoo. they could easily tear through it which is the last thing youd want.

Maybe I missed it but I didnt see any mention of how big the holes are in the linked mesh. You dont want anything your cockatoo could stick their head through

noodles123

Jul 11, 2018
Parrots
Umbrella Cockatoo- 15? years old..I think?
I would not do this--- A single cockatoo could destroy a wooden wall -in a group, it could be done very quickly (easily) and 1 can easily chew through, ingest and get tangled in a mosquito net....Also, please remember that any metals must be stainless, as zinc etc are toxic even if mouthed. If you provide a toxic metal, even if they don't eat it, can you afford to provide chelation therapy for a whole flock?

While I do not agree AT ALL with those complaining and threatening or most of what is stated in this video, please watch what happens to these homes and the child's play-house (not the cockatoo's fault- AT ALL) but I have one, and they snap through hard wood like you or I could bend a drinking straw :
"CULLING" pisses me off...if they cull the cockatoos....I'd have some much harsher opinions for them...

again^^^ I think the people complaining in these videos are BEYOND Irritating (although property loss is unfortunate, the birds were there first). I post to show you what they can do in a group...and can attest for the abilities of 1 all alone.

Last edited:

noodles123

Jul 11, 2018
Parrots
I found that those cheap dollar store mosquito net mesh type things work quite well. at my old home when I taught my conure to go back and forth
I get why you would suggest those, but they are too thin and made of toxic metal that could poison the birds just through oral contact (not ingestion). Cockatoos are BIG chewers and can make mesh look like a snack, but it is so dangerous for their health, and ineffective.

KiwiAndBubblesBudgies1

Aug 14, 2021
Media
Wayne, PA
Parrots
Bubbles- An aqua and white female fancy parakeet

Star- An aqua and yellow (probably) male fancy parakeet

Kiwi- RIP my sweet little green boi TwT
living in a high rise apartment in my city where there is an open balcony.

I'm looking to secure it before any training starts.

Friend of mine from Singapore sent over these, and wondering if its applicable.
https://www.renohoot.sg/Windows/Invisible-Grilles/Buyer_Guide
https://blog.renohoot.sg/invisible-grille-faq-from-homeowners

any one any experience? or should i use just a mesh?
I would suggest setting up a tent, it’s what my family does and it works great with my budgies.

noodles123

Jul 11, 2018
Parrots
I would suggest setting up a tent, it’s what my family does and it works great with my budgies.
I promise not to keep posting on this thread, but a budgie vs cockatoo is like nail file vs a jackhammer. Jackhammer is probably an understatement in light of the comparison...A cockatoo could break a finger in one bite if motivation struck...They crack Brazil nuts wide open in one chomp, like it's a joke. Not throwing shade on cockatoos, but in 1 bite, mine can get through just about any mesh (metal, fabric, skin, you name it).

Last edited:

KiwiAndBubblesBudgies1

Aug 14, 2021
Media
Wayne, PA
Parrots
Bubbles- An aqua and white female fancy parakeet

Star- An aqua and yellow (probably) male fancy parakeet

Kiwi- RIP my sweet little green boi TwT
I promise not to keep posting on this thread, but a budgie vs cockatoo is like nail file vs a jackhammer. Jackhammer is probably an understatement in light of the comparison...A cockatoo could break a finger in one bite if motivation struck...They crack Brazil nuts wide open in one chomp, like it's a joke. Not throwing shade on cockatoos, but in 1 bite, mine can get through just about any mesh (metal, fabric, skin, you name it).
Oh shoot, I read it as cockatiel… huh, maybe you could try a harness?

Flboy

Dec 28, 2014
Greater Orlando area, Florida
Parrots
JoJo, 'Special' GCC, Bongo, Cinnamon GCC(wife's)
Hi! IMHO, won’t work!
"Pet Safe Invisible grille
Any pet owner can tell you how important it is to keep their pet safe, but not everyone knows how to do that. This post hopes to bring light on this topic for Invisible grille (IVG).
Invisible grille provides unblocked view of the window opening due to it’s thin tightened cables. Each cable has a fixed gap distance with the next and typically the standards are 2, 3 or 4 inches apart. 3 to 4 inches is typically alright for young children. 2 inches is normally used for home with pets. For cats, it is recommended to go for 1.5 inch gap. Or 1.3 inch if you have kittens."

noodles123

Jul 11, 2018
Parrots
living in a high rise apartment in my city where there is an open balcony.

I'm looking to secure it before any training starts.

Friend of mine from Singapore sent over these, and wondering if its applicable.
https://www.renohoot.sg/Windows/Invisible-Grilles/Buyer_Guide
https://blog.renohoot.sg/invisible-grille-faq-from-homeowners

any one any experience? or should i use just a mesh?
Do you currently have cockatoos or are you planning on getting some? If it isn't a current situation, I'd definitely suggest waiting until you are out of an apartment, as they capable of being VERY loud and destructive when sexually mature (which usually is around 5-8 years for adults, if you are talking larger species--although puberty does begin a year or 2 before full maturity). They also need a lot of room and 12 hours sleep in a quiet space, which is very hard to achieve in an apartment, unless you have a ton of rooms...

Last edited:

Noahs_Birds

Parrot of the Month 🏆
Oct 24, 2019
Toowoomba/Highfields, QLD, Australia
Parrots
Yellow Sided GCC's, Rosa Bourkes Parrots, Full Red Fronted Turqoisine Parrots, Quaker Parrots 'Scomo PM' 'Jenny PM's wife', PLUS: Rare Finches, Doves and Quail
Could always put together some welded panels with heavy duty mesh to create a kind of 'aviary' around the main door, out to the balcony. Then you can unbolt panels and transport them easily rather than a whole cage frame when you want to move.

Most Reactions

Latest posts