Looking to rehome my Jenday Conure - Northern Utah

Letticeknibs

Jan 1, 2021
This has been a struggle now for over a year. I have kept trying to solve the issue and have been unsuccessful. At this point I am looking to rehome for the health of my bird and not because I lack the time.

Beaker is a 4 year old male Jenday Conure. (hatched 7/8/2018). I have had him since he was around 4 months old. He lives in a home with myself, my husband, my two adult children and two small dogs. He loves me, accepts the kids but hates my husband with a passion. He also hates anyone new that comes into our home.

Beaker spends his days Mon- Fri out of his cage in my office / his bird room from 6am to 5pm. I work from home so he is out of his cage with me in our shared room from 6am-5pm on my work days, so it is just him and I together the majority of his days. He goes to bed at 7pm and I put on crickets noises to keep him from being in total silence at night. On the weekends he is out in his bird room all his waking hours but does spend a good time alone with me running errands and getting things done around the house.

His aggression with others started out small a little over a year ago. He started with getting between anyone who tried to get close to me or touch me. My husband used to think this was cute and would agitate him and get him upset on purpose. This has led to Beakers issues with my husband. My husband has a job where he is gone a good chunk of the time, but when he is home Beaker just loses his mind. If he hears my husbands voice in the house he is instantly aggressive. I also went through some life altering family issues in March and I have noticed his aggression has definitely increased sense then.

I talked to the vet about this and they recommending helping Beaker expand his flock. I have been working on this for a year now with no success, in fact it seems to be getting worse and worse as times goes by. (You have to have people want to take the time and have the desire to also want to be part of his flock). Beaker is an amazing flyer but the vet did recommend clipping his wings for his safety and the safety of others. I used to be able to carry Beaker around on my shoulder as I cleaned house or watched a show with the family, I have not been able to do that for about 9 months or so now with the aggression he has towards others. So now he is in his bird room 100% of the day. It got to a point when I had him on my shoulder and walk around the house I can tell he is looking around to see who is there and will even attack me if I go into rooms he thinks someone is in. I am actually worried about his mental state and his constant fear/anger of others in my home. It has also gotten to the point where when I do have to spend the day out and about doing errands or even leave for the weekend on a trip and come back, he attacks me when I return. When I do get home even after sitting with him for hours, talking to him and giving him treats he will not calm down. I know in his mind he is hurt and I have abandoned him. My boy needs a flock, he needs to have more than me on a daily basis. I believe with me being the ONLY person who spends time with him regularly, that an unhealthy bond has been created.

Temperament wise with those in his flock (aka me) he is a sweetheart. He loves to cuddle and sleep on your shoulder. Loves to play in blankets and he gets excited listening to music. He did have a traumatic experience around the age of 6 month with a couple of bully lovebirds so screams whenever he sees another bird but I think he might do well with a feathered friend and a bird parent who knows how to work with parrots.

Anyone interested MUST be more than willing to keep in contact. AKA - hey now we are friends! So you would need to be good with that and also good with keeping in touch regularly - (being a huge introvert that will be easy, even sending texts and letting me know how he is doing... but like, forever) He needs someone with bird experience and patience. I am sure he is not going to be ok when he leaves, he has been with me his whole life so far. I will have many questions for anyone who is interested in him... many many questions. This boy is a gem and I want to make sure he is going to someone who will love him and care for him, even MORE than I have.

Attachments

• IMG_5284.TRIM.MOV
    4.9 MB
  • BeakerSnacks.JPG
    BeakerSnacks.JPG
    51.8 KB · Views: 41
  • Chillin Beaks.JPG
    Chillin Beaks.JPG
    359.7 KB · Views: 37
  • ChristmasBeaks.JPG
    ChristmasBeaks.JPG
    230.7 KB · Views: 39
Last edited:

HeatherG

Apr 25, 2020
I am so sorry this is going on. I know there are bird behavior consultants that come to your home or meet online. Would you be interested in working with one of those folks?

Otherwise I do wish you the best of luck. I’m nowhere near you and my Quaker and Meyers would be ticked off if a brightly colored loud bird came home with me.

OP
L

Letticeknibs

Jan 1, 2021
I am so sorry this is going on. I know there are bird behavior consultants that come to your home or meet online. Would you be interested in working with one of those folks?

Otherwise I do wish you the best of luck. I’m nowhere near you and my Quaker and Meyers would be ticked off if a brightly colored loud bird came home with me.
I actually have an appointment with one after I get back from a trip I have planned next week. I am in no rush at all to find him a home. It needs to be the perfect situation for sure.

I have already worked with a bird trainer and I also have a animal energy worker who is going to work with him. (I am honestly willing to try anything) I just know with certain people in this home he is never truly going to be happy here. It is hard to work with Beaker and try to get him to tolerate someone when the other party is not really willing to work on it. I just want my boy in a home where everyone loves him and is willing to put in the work to have a relationship with him. He really is just the sweetest boy.

Most Reactions