Lorikeet is less playful with us and hangs out by himself more even when we are there

Karmakataka

Aug 19, 2020
Hi all

I have just found this forum and was hoping to get some advice. We have a cinnemon scaly creates lorikeet since about June 2018. We have undergone our trips and errors and have learned fast from little yeshe. There was one episode of significant aggression where he attacked us about a year ago but we changed the set up of the room so he didnā€™t think it was ā€œhis territoryā€ and that solved the problem.

He (confirmed by testing) is generally a happy bird. He cuddles under the blanket with me in the morning for about half an hour and is super chatty. My husband works from home and spends time with him in morning after I leave for work and at lunchtime and then we hang out together when I get home from work. We used to have little games we played and we used to clap and sing with him as that seemed to make him very happy. More recently we have noticed that he is less I retested in playing with us and prefers to just play by himself in his cage. The cage door is open all day and he gets to fly around the lounge room (8x5m) and he loves showing off his little flight.

I have noticed that he flies to the door and waits there to go to bed at 6pm but he usually goes to bed at 7pm. My questions is whether his lack of wanting to play and wanting to hang out with us is due to him being tired and wanting to go to bed earlier? If we put him to bed at 6 will he wake up even earlier? At this stage he wakes at 5am-we take him for a poop and put him back into his cage for another snooze until we cuddle together around 8ish.

Any thoughts?:green:

wrench13

Staff member
Super Moderator
Parrot of the Month šŸ†
Nov 22, 2015
Media
Albums
Isle of Long, NY
Parrots
Yellow Shoulder Amazon, Salty
Sorry, I know nothing directly about lorikeets, but around 1-1/2 to 2 years old he might be going into puberty, which can really mess up a parrots head for awhile. Bursts of hormones flushing thru his body for the first time can cause all sorts of behavioral changes. You can try to minimize them, by assuring he gets 12 hrs of quiet uninterrupted sleep, lower sugar content in his diet, removing any shadowy hidey holes and spaces, and avoiding touching him anywhere besides the head and neck. Minimize but not prevent. Another big thing is to not let these changes in his demeanor and behavior create new patterns of negative interaction with his family (you and yours). Remember - these too shall pass, when he comes out of the other side of puberty, as an adult lorikeet, you try to preserve this good relationship you have with him now. Hope this helps a bit.

Laurasea

Aug 2, 2018
USA
Parrots
Full house
Birds like to be st their roost before bedtime. Itā€™s an instinctive safety thing fir many. My burds all want to be in their cages before dark. Mine get stressed if they arenā€™t in their roost ( cage) before bedtime.

Some birds may have more instincts in this. Itā€™s not against you.

And hello! Welcome to the forum! Stick around and join in :)

Most Reactions

Latest posts