Lost and (luckily) found!

18tillidie

Sep 19, 2022
Los Angeles, CA
Parrots
Green Winged Macaw, Sun Conure
Debit, our Green Winged Macaw went on a little adventure last week... my wife was outside sitting on a patio chair reading, and had Debit in his Aviator harness "tied" to the chair. He loves being outside or going with us on an afternoon walk, and is happy to wear the harness. He will happily sit on the back of the chair and just enjoy the fresh air.
My wife left him there for a few minutes to go to the bathroom, and when she came back he was gone!
Major panic, calling and looking everywhere, but no sign. I was more concerned about him getting the harness tangle in tree than anything else!
A friend was driving around the neighborhood looking for him and thought she say him flying in the next street. We found him sitting on the telephone wires a block away, but he was reluctant to fly down. After about an hour, he finally managed to fly down into the top of a papaya tree in a neighbors backyard, where we were able to stand on the fence to reach the end of the harness tether!
I downloaded the video from our security system later... he tried to follow my wife about 30 seconds after she left him, which presumably loosened the knot, and he then flew off over the house and across the main road less than a minute after she had walked away from him! She was only gone for 3 minutes, but that was 3 minutes too long!
Major lesson learned! Actually, two lessons... NEVER leave him unattended outside, and my wife can't tie a knot!
I added a clip to the tether so it can be secured properly, but my wife now wants to clip his wings... I absolutely don't want to do that, I love that he can fly around the house... it didn't happen because he could fly, it happened because we were careless!
Just happy that it ended well.

HeatherG

Apr 25, 2020
I’m glad that it ended well, too. It’s amazing how quickly they can get into mischief!

I tried to used a harness with my Quaker many years ago and she nearly hung herself trying to get away. Obviously I didn’t know to slowly get her used to it. It seems like you’ve got it working fairly well for your bird. I think it’s difficult to knot a flat leash-type cord (seems like it’s only reliable to knot a round cord). So I’m glad you’ve got a clip on the end of your bird’s harness because it will be so much safer to attach the leash to a fixed point.

OP
18tillidie

18tillidie

Sep 19, 2022
Los Angeles, CA
Parrots
Green Winged Macaw, Sun Conure
I’m glad that it ended well, too. It’s amazing how quickly they can get into mischief!

I tried to used a harness with my Quaker many years ago and she nearly hung herself trying to get away. Obviously I didn’t know to slowly get her used to it. It seems like you’ve got it working fairly well for your bird. I think it’s difficult to knot a flat leash-type cord (seems like it’s only reliable to knot a round cord). So I’m glad you’ve got a clip on the end of your bird’s harness because it will be so much safer to attach the leash to a fixed point.
The Macaw is totally fine with the harness. Lifts each wing so we can put it on and off. He was pretty good from almost day one, and he knows it means going outside.

The Conure on the other hand will not accept it at all. I got it on her once, and it was frightening. She is so small that I don't want to risk breaking a wing as she fights it. Her wings are clipped, and she is so well behaved that she will go anywhere and just stay on your shoulder, so it's loss of a concern.

HeatherG

Apr 25, 2020
The Macaw is totally fine with the harness. Lifts each wing so we can put it on and off. He was pretty good from almost day one, and he knows it means going outside.

The Conure on the other hand will not accept it at all. I got it on her once, and it was frightening. She is so small that I don't want to risk breaking a wing as she fights it. Her wings are clipped, and she is so well behaved that she will go anywhere and just stay on your shoulder, so it's loss of a concern.
That’s how I feel for my current Quaker. If I want to take him outside I check his clip. And as long as he doesn’t see any of his ‘triggers’ he would not try to fly anyway.

For example Willow has got a couple flight feathers dropped and regrown so I would clip those if we were going to go outside, as long as the blood supply to the feather is dead.

I had planned to take willow to a block party last weekend but I had covid -type symptoms so I stayed home. And I really didn’t feel like a party anyhow.

Last edited:

wrench13

Staff member
Super Moderator
Parrot of the Month 🏆
Nov 22, 2015
Media
Albums
Isle of Long, NY
Parrots
Yellow Shoulder Amazon, Salty
Very glad you were able to retrieve your macaw so quickly. I hope readers will take away the lesson. I know that when ever I take my little Amazon Salty out in his harness, my wrist is always thru the loop of the leash. The other day, he got spooked and bolted but got brought up short by the harness leash. If I did not have it secured to me, he would have definitely flown away with the harness on. And he is clipped. Readers take heed! Parrots who get wings clipped can still fly if they are suddenly scared or startled! That rush of adrenalin overcomes the hindrance of clipped wings and off they will go!!

Most Reactions