Lost Lovebird

Only_speed

Sep 12, 2019
Hello Parrot Forumshttp://www.parrotforums.com/r/parrots

I was keeping my pair of lovebirds out in the sun for a bit and I noticed them exchanging calls with another lovebird. The other lovebird appears to be alone on the tree we have on the garden. Lovebirds are not native in my country, so I need help catching the bird so I can provide it with food, as well as water that it may not find. Any advice on how to catch the lovebird?

Thanks

plumsmum2005

Nov 18, 2015
England, UK
Parrots
Lou, Ruby, and Sonu.
Fly free Plum, my gorgeous boy.
You could put a small cage outside with food and water in? If you do catch it hun then you will need to quarantine it for a period of time before it goes anywhere near your birds.

LaManuka

Staff member
Super Moderator
Aug 29, 2018
Media
Albums
Queensland, Australia
Parrots
Fang ({ab}normal grey cockatiel), Valentino (budgie), Jem (cinnamon cockatiel), Lovejoy(varied lorikeet), Peach (princess parrot)
Hi Only_speed, the following link was written for people trying to recapture a lost bird and it may have some information that will be of assistance to you....

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B78YYzbJx75hMmZyM3J1S3ZiLTg/view

If you are able to capture this lovebird, might I ask you to please try to find his rightful owner? Most of us here have experienced the loss of a beloved birdie and it would be wonderful if you could try to return him to his family who might be missing him.

Betrisher

Jun 3, 2013
Newcastle, NSW, Australia
Parrots
Dominic: Galah(RIP: 1981-2018); The Lovies: Four Blue Masked Lovebirds; Barney and Madge (The Beaks): Alexandrines; Miss Rosetta Stone: Little Corella
I have caught many birds, including parrots, using the old box-on-a-stick trick. Prop a large cardboard box up on a stick (at least a foot long). Put some obvious food (white bread is good) under the box and tie a long string to the bottom end of the stick. Run the string to a hiding place at least six metres away. Wait for birdie to eat the food, pull on the string and voila!

I once caught a blue lovebird which flew into our patio. I just got hubby to open the window and I shushed birdie through it and into the house. It was easy to capture him with a net. We called him Nimbus because he came out of the clouds.

I've caught several budgies using a toy insect net.

I caught a king parrot using an old cocky cage with a string attached to the door. It helps if you position the cage so that the door is on the top. That way, when you pull your string the door falls down under its own weight and birdie can't push it open again.

Best of luck with it! Do let us know how you get on! :)

PS. Whichever method you try, you'll probably have best success if you use your own birds to bait the loose one. Lovies don't do well without a flock and they will always gravitate toward company of their own kind. Put your trap close to your own birds' cage and you should be able to snag this little guy.

Scott

Supporting Member
Aug 21, 2010
San Diego, California USA, Earth, Milky Way Galaxy
Parrots
Goffins: Gabby, Abby, Squeaky, Peanut, Popcorn / Citron: Alice / Eclectus: Angel /Timneh Grey: ET / Blue Fronted Amazon: Gonzo /

RIP Gandalf and Big Bird, you are missed.
I have caught many birds, including parrots, using the old box-on-a-stick trick. Prop a large cardboard box up on a stick (at least a foot long). Put some obvious food (white bread is good) under the box and tie a long string to the bottom end of the stick. Run the string to a hiding place at least six metres away. Wait for birdie to eat the food, pull on the string and voila!

I once caught a blue lovebird which flew into our patio. I just got hubby to open the window and I shushed birdie through it and into the house. It was easy to capture him with a net. We called him Nimbus because he came out of the clouds.

I've caught several budgies using a toy insect net.

I caught a king parrot using an old cocky cage with a string attached to the door. It helps if you position the cage so that the door is on the top. That way, when you pull your string the door falls down under its own weight and birdie can't push it open again.

Best of luck with it! Do let us know how you get on! :)

PS. Whichever method you try, you'll probably have best success if you use your own birds to bait the loose one. Lovies don't do well without a flock and they will always gravitate toward company of their own kind. Put your trap close to your own birds' cage and you should be able to snag this little guy.

Brilliant methods Trish!

Laurasea

Aug 2, 2018
USA
Parrots
Full house
You can have your birds caged, open the door to your house and have your birds near door. Will likely fly inside then much easier to catch!!!

Most Reactions